Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 PM

31,085 posts, read 22,101,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
FDR was a total jerk for imprisoning the Japanese Americans during the War.
And lets not forget about the Manatten project and a couple of atomic bombs. If TR was running the show today the American flag would be flying over Iraq and much of the middle east!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And lets not forget about the Manatten project and a couple of atomic bombs. If TR was running the show today the American flag would be flying over Iraq and much of the middle east!
TR, or FDR?

Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I had no idea that Teddy Roosevelt 's brother Elliot died throwing himself out of a window in an alcoholic stupor at age 35 and Elliot was eleanors father which meant that teddy was eleanors uncle . Also did not know that Teddy Roosevelt's son Quinton was killed in the war . That must have hurt his heart so bad and then according to this show he told his wife do you know how much I love you and he went to sleep and never woke up and his son said at his funeral "God knew he had to take dad while he was sleeping because if he dad had been awake God would have had a fight on his hands " I think maybe he was right cause that man was tough and they sure don't make them like him anymore .Learned a lot of stuff I never knew about him and then FDR using his daughter Anna to keep his affair with Lucy Mercer away from Eleanor . I think that was rather crappy I mean really if you are going to have an affair don't insist your 16 yr old daughter help you keep it a secret from your wife .

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Amen it sure would be . Or it would fail to exsist because the bomb would be dropped on them .

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I preferred Theodore to Franklin, but they were a powerful family that helped improve, guide, and protect our nation. Their family should be proud of their service to all of us.

I like both Franklin and Teddy.

My fav Franklin quote:

I see an America where factory workers are not discarded after they reach their prime, where there is no endless chain of poverty from generation to generation, where impoverished farmers and farm hands do not become homeless wanderers, where monopoly does not make youth a beggar for a job.

I see an America whose rivers and valleys and lakes—hills and streams and plains—the mountains over our land and nature's wealth deep under the earth—are protected as the rightful heritage of all the people.

I see an America where small business really has a chance to flourish and grow.

I see an America of great cultural and educational opportunity for all its people.

I see an America where the income from the land shall be implemented and protected by a Government determined to guarantee to those who hoe it a fair share in the national income.
An America where the wheels of trade and private industry continue to turn to make the goods for America. Where no businessman can be stifled by the harsh hand of monopoly, and where the legitimate profits of legitimate business are the fair reward of every businessman—big and little—in all the Nation.

I see an America with peace in the ranks of labor.

An America where the workers are really free and—through their great unions undominated by any outside force, or by any dictator within—can take their proper place at the council table with the owners and managers of business. Where the dignity and security of the working man and woman are guaranteed by their own strength and fortified by the safeguards of law.

An America where those who have reached the evening of life shall live out their years in peace and security. Where pensions and insurance for these aged shall be given as a matter of right to those who through a long life of labor have served their families and their nation as well.
I see an America devoted to our freedom—unified by tolerance and by religious faith—a people consecrated to peace, a people

Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, I am viewing the century old political party positions through the lens of reality. Give a try sometime. The Progressive Party of 1912 was started by and exclusively controlled by former Republicans.
Yes, back when Republicans were the reform party. Is that a problem?

Quote:
You need not fear the gnashing of teeth because it could never happen. Today's so-called "liberals/progressives" are anything but liberal or progressive. Like I said, they are pretenders hoping to fool the ignorant public that they are something they are not. Those who pay attention to politics and know something about history are not fooled by the labels the fascist communists use.
Let me get this straight, today's liberals/progressives are fakers and not really progressive? I can buy that because when compared to how progressive the Roosevelts were for their time, today's liberals don't seem that liberal. But the fakers are somehow both communists, even though they aren't progressive, and fascists, also because they aren't truly liberal?

Where are you going with this?

Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Then, clearly I did not understand your earlier source reference. I took it to mean that Teddy somehow had a justification - other than his personal interpretation - for thinking and acting or attempting to act on his own. There can be no justification for that thinking.

The founders, in my view, were very deliberate in crafting a government form that would prevent unilateral action by one branch of government. Teddy wasa very crafty in stepping on and around our sytem of government.

Ah, but that is the American way; gaming the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cannot say for sure but Obama IMHO must have studied TR and or FR as it seems clear he is prepared and often does "excel in the power of the office" so to speak and will use that power to run around Congress when it fails to act. Well does not act in ways he (Obama) wishes.

Until TR most POTUS by and large followed the view of Thomas Jefferson; that is the government was limited in powers to what was spelled out in the USC. TR had a very different view on that subject believing the federal government was free to do whatever was not directly forbidden in the USC.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
I am with you there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
No one has taken away your right to have an abortion, I just don't wanna be forced to pay for it...

Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Then, clearly I did not understand your earlier source reference. I took it to mean that Teddy somehow had a justification - other than his personal interpretation - for thinking and acting or attempting to act on his own. There can be no justification for that thinking.

The founders, in my view, were very deliberate in crafting a government form that would prevent unilateral action by one branch of government. Teddy wasa very crafty in stepping on and around our sytem of government.

Ah, but that is the American way; gaming the system.
Two words "Bully Pulpit"

What began with TR and then continued with FDR and later JFK and then later to an extent Bill Clinton and now it appears Obama is the realization that a POTUS can use their own popularity or "star power" if you will to rally the electorate to back actions and or even force them to happen when one or both of the other branches of government (Congress and the SCOTUS) refuse and or fail.

All the above mentioned POTUS saw that government was not working for this or that sector of the US population and that left to their own devices much of Congress nor the courts would act to change things. Well a POTUS powers may be limited by the USC but if he can rally (or rouse if you will) large enough segments of voters to rise up and kick out members of Congress....

Am no fan of Obama and his policies but you have to admit the man went to bat for gays and in <five years has pretty much changed things for them 180 degrees. Similarly left to his own devices Chief Justice Roberts probably would have overturned the Obamacare mandate, but looking to his own and the Court's legacy not to mention the chaos that would have ensued we got a very different outcome.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Two words "Bully Pulpit"

What began with TR and then continued with FDR and later JFK and then later to an extent Bill Clinton and now it appears Obama is the realization that a POTUS can use their own popularity or "star power" if you will to rally the electorate to back actions and or even force them to happen when one or both of the other branches of government (Congress and the SCOTUS) refuse and or fail.

All the above mentioned POTUS saw that government was not working for this or that sector of the US population and that left to their own devices much of Congress nor the courts would act to change things. Well a POTUS powers may be limited by the USC but if he can rally (or rouse if you will) large enough segments of voters to rise up and kick out members of Congress....

Am no fan of Obama and his policies but you have to admit the man went to bat for gays and in <five years has pretty much changed things for them 180 degrees. Similarly left to his own devices Chief Justice Roberts probably would have overturned the Obamacare mandate, but looking to his own and the Court's legacy not to mention the chaos that would have ensued we got a very different outcome.
Wow, I went from agreeing with you to thinking your notions are half baked. To put Obama in the same grouping as TR, FDR, JFK, and Clinton is beyond the pale.
I am not even sure you should have included Clinton because while he did some good things, he was not in the same league as the others you mentioned. Thus you mentioning Obama in this group is hard to imagine.

All the others were leaders with experience and pragmatism who could push against resistance, but also compromise when it made sense. That is what helped to make Reagan & Clinton in modern times as effective as they were with the opposition party in control of Congress.
Obama is a pathetic person to compare to any of the aforementioned leaders.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies