Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's standard liberal operating procedure to do that. They still pretend it is 1970 when it comes to women, pretend it is 1950 when it comes to blacks, pretend the religious right represents the entire conservative political movement, pretend segregation is still the law of land when it comes to the 10th amendment, pretend it is still 1920 when it comes to labor laws, etc.

But then if you dare point out how FDR opposed public sector unions, JFK started the Vietnam War, Democrats supported slavery while Republicans opposed it, Democrat Clinton was the one who deregulated the banks, Harry Reid voted for banning gay marriage, etc then they break out the whole thing about how times change and you can't judge things today based on how things were long ago.

It's complete hypocrisy.

For a lot of Americans they live even today like its 1955 when it comes to women, 1925 when it comes to blacks and 1899 when it comes to labor relations and business regulation. Also when you are kissy kissy with the Religious Right I be foolish to think you have not gotten a lot of sack time with them. Did the GOP stand up for public sector unions don't be silly and yes JFK started to wade in that Indochina swamp but I don't try and tell me the GOP was against it, I am old enough boy or girl to have lived through it and I came within a year of getting my own M16 and the chance go to Vietnam because a had a number 4 in the Draft Lottery. You remember Barry Goldwater well St Barry actually called for using Tactical Nuclear Weapons in an effort to WIN the Vietnam Police Action. You know incinerate Hanoi, Haiphong etc. etc.

But now as then being out of your mind was no vice for a right winger. Yes Democrats like Thomas Jefferson,, James Madison,James Monroe and Andrew Jackson were all plantation running slaveholders as was Robert E Lee, who married a Slaveholding wife who was a grand daughter of George Washington's wife and Senator then President Jefferson Davis. They were for states rights but they are 5 going on 6 generations in the past and their childrens childrens,childrens,childrens,childrens children left that party long ago for the party of Nixon that would say one thing but do another so quit trying to sell something that is not true.

You need to understand that 50-100 years ago the so-called Blue states were the Republican base in 1900 (Including New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan Wisconsin, Minnesota ,Oregon and California. Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon came from California, TR from New York, Lincoln (Illinois), Grant (Ohio) as did McKinley ,Taft and Harding, Harrison (Indiana) Coolidge from Mass.. Then the colors made sense for the red banner was once the color or collective action and the working class.

Last edited by mwruckman; 09-19-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
For a lot of Americans they live even today like its 1955 when it comes to women, 1925 when it comes to blacks and 1899 when it comes to labor relations and business regulation. Also when you are kissy kissy with the Religious Right I be foolish to think you have not gotten a lot of sack time with them. Did the GOP stand up for public sector unions don't be silly and yes JFK started to wade in that Indochina swamp but I don't try and tell me the GOP was against it, I am old enough boy or girl to have lived through it and I came within a year of getting my own M16 and the chance go to Vietnam because a had a number 4 in the Draft Lottery. You remember Barry Goldwater well St Barry actually called for using Tactical Nuclear Weapons in an effort to WIN the Vietnam Police Action. You know incinerate Hanoi, Haiphong etc. etc.

But now as then being out of your mind was no vice for a right winger. Yes Democrats like Thomas Jefferson,, James Madison,James Monroe and Andrew Jackson were all plantation running slaveholders as was Robert E Lee, who married a Slaveholding wife who was a grand daughter of George Washington's wife and Senator then President Jefferson Davis. They were for states rights but they are 5 going on 6 generations in the past and their childrens childrens,childrens,childrens,childrens children left that party long ago for the party of Nixon that would say one thing but do another so quit trying to sell something that is not true.

You need to understand that 50-100 years ago the so-called Blue states were the Republican base in 1900 (Including New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan Wisconsin, Minnesota ,Oregon and California. Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon came from California, TR from New York, Lincoln (Illinois), Grant (Ohio) as did McKinley ,Taft and Harding, Harrison (Indiana) Coolidge from Mass.. Then the colors made sense for the red banner was once the color or collective action and the working class.
Boy, talk about a post full of wild inaccuracies. This one takes the cake.

Sen. Goldwater opposed the Vietnam war. Sen. Goldwater accused LBJ of being a communist sympathizer (which he was), and LBJ painted Sen. Goldwater as a warmonger (which he was not). Nixon campaigned on ending the Vietnam war, which he accomplished. Vietnam was wholly a liberal manufactured war, from JFK increasing the number of "military advisers" from 2,000 in 1961 to over 18,000 by the end of November 1963, to LBJ deliberately lying to Congress about the Gulf of Tonkin incident in August 1964. Every aspect of the Vietnam war from its inception was about a war manufactured entirely by lying Democrats.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe were not Democrats. The very first Democrat President was Andrew Jackson in 1828. Andrew Jackson created the party of hate and dishonor after losing the 1824 election to John Q. Adams. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe were members of the Democratic-Republican Party (a.k.a. "The Party of Jefferson").

Clearly American history is not your strong suit.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Boy, talk about a post full of wild inaccuracies. This one takes the cake.

Sen. Goldwater opposed the Vietnam war. Sen. Goldwater accused LBJ of being a communist sympathizer (which he was), and LBJ painted Sen. Goldwater as a warmonger (which he was not). Nixon campaigned on ending the Vietnam war, which he accomplished. Vietnam was wholly a liberal manufactured war, from JFK increasing the number of "military advisers" from 2,000 in 1961 to over 18,000 by the end of November 1963, to LBJ deliberately lying to Congress about the Gulf of Tonkin incident in August 1964. Every aspect of the Vietnam war from its inception was about a war manufactured entirely by lying Democrats.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe were not Democrats. The very first Democrat President was Andrew Jackson in 1828. Andrew Jackson created the party of hate and dishonor after losing the 1824 election to John Q. Adams. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe were members of the Democratic-Republican Party (a.k.a. "The Party of Jefferson").

Clearly American history is not your strong suit.
He's just an example of what I was talking about. It always surprises me when you say that "X" is going on and then someone responds to say that it isn't, and then immediately does "X". The guy disagrees with me that liberals are pushing a warped historical narrative, and then in the very same post pushes the exact same narrative that I referred to. He proved my point for me.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 PM

13 posts, read 11,296 times
I haven't seen it yet, but can't wait now. FDR once said that the best customer of American industry, is a well paid worker. Sure could use a bit of that philosophy these days huh?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoo Valley View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but can't wait now. FDR once said that the best customer of American industry, is a well paid worker. Sure could use a bit of that philosophy these days huh?
Save a block of time - it's 14 hours.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:09 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoo Valley View Post
FDR once said that the best customer of American industry, is a well paid worker.
Though not verbatim, he stole that from Henry Ford.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
the roosevelts and Wilson brought FASCISM to America

that's all 'progressives' are fascist Nazi's

Old 09-20-2014, 01:50 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the roosevelts and Wilson brought FASCISM to America

that's all 'progressives' are fascist Nazi's
If Roosevelt was a fascist Nazi, then why didn't he ally with the Nazis?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:11 AM

209 posts, read 134,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post
both terms are too broad to say they are exact opposite and cannot co-exist.
Progressivism wants to expand government; conservatism wants to shrink government...Seems to me like those are the opposite of each other!

Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 AM

209 posts, read 134,674 times
[quote=lucknow;36557939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
Although there may be Republicans who are Progressives, Conservatism is the exact of Progressivism!

I had a good laugh when I read this post. For most of my life, the government here in Ontario has been the PC party. Yes, as strange as it may seem to many Americans who view things as black or white with no shades of grey allowed, the Progressive Conservative Party is a reality. LOL

The PCs have mostly been an excellent government here. They have a broad appeal right across the political spectrum. Although they are progressive in the social aspect of policy they are also very business friendly. Their desire for social reform must not exceed the ability to PAY for those programmes.

In 1995 the PCs won an election and their leader turned the party, hard right. By the time they were done they had pretty much destroyed the PC party and ended their chances of becoming the government for at least a generation. Conservatism without a strong progressive element is the worst possible choice the voters can ever make.
I'm sure you realize that the Canadian Political Culture and the American Political Culture are not exactly alike, even though some labels might be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies