Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your support on conceal carry...
Do not support right for individuals to own firearms. 0 0%
Anyone should be able to ccw without a permit. 18 39.13%
Permit should be required however no training needed only simple background check. 3 6.52%
Basic safety course should be a requirement to get a ccw. 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

I went to a class offered by rev tac last night to get a Utah CCW and found the class highly informative. The instructors good sense of humor also helped the information stick quite well. I know many gun owners will disagree with me due to the slippery slope argument but I believe everyone should be required to get this basic course to get a CCW. It should be standardized across all states and getting it allows one to CCW in all states that allow CCW.

Given what Ive seen some casual shooters do at the range its clear some lack adequite training in the safe use of their weapons. It would also be helpful for those against gun ownership to see these classes and they will understand how seriously responsible gun owners take gun safety.

In any case I welcome your opinions and will not get offended if you disagree. I welcome constructive arguments from those against gun ownership as well. Im hoping this thread be an open ended constructive debate on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
It isn't just casual shooters that lack adequate training, so do many LEOs. Many, if not most, are far from firearms enthusiasts and don't practice and are at best minimally proficient with their weapons.

I think training is a good idea for anyone getting a CCW, as is regular retraining and practice. As far as making it mandatory, and federally controlled? No. Unless the feds are also going to mandate that a CCW license is accepted everywhere and trumps current local laws.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I went to a class offered by rev tac last night to get a Utah CCW and found the class highly informative. The instructors good sense of humor also helped the information stick quite well. I know many gun owners will disagree with me due to the slippery slope argument but I believe everyone should be required to get this basic course to get a CCW. It should be standardized across all states and getting it allows one to CCW in all states that allow CCW.

Given what Ive seen some casual shooters do at the range its clear many lack adequite training in the safe use of their weapons. It would also be helpful for those againt gun ownership to see these classes and they will understand how seriously responsible gun owners take gun safety. In any case I welcome your opinions.
I enjoyed the class I took too.

I would like to see gun safety taught in each grade of school.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
I'm a die hard gun rights supporter and I believe firmly that shall issue CCW permits with basic background checks are reasonable. A safety course is also very much understandable to make sure people are comfortable with their firearm.

I do however believe that any training, permitting and background checking should be done at ZERO cost to the citizen because anything else would be similar to a poll tax on your right to vote.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
What has always been a right, has been rendered to asking the elite rulers for permission.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I've seen to many hunters with no training being stupid with their guns.

Hell yes there should be a training class for CCW, as well as a mental examination, IMO.

I support the right to carry, but there should be tests and requirements, just like they do with driving a car.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Name another inherent natural right that requires training before being allowed to exercise?

And really, the whole concept of training, certificates, licenses, etc is all so you can have your right to self-defense and still be in Leviathan's good graces from a bureaucratic standpoint. Leviathan needs to tag you and be able to track you in the wild, so they have all these hoops to jump through.

If you don't care about Leviathan's tyranny, then carrying concealed requires not much more than a weapon and method of concealment. Criminals have been employing the "whatever, I'll carry concealed if I feel like it" method since firearms were invented, that's why they have the advantage. Not giving a damn how Leviathan feels about things has its tactical benefits.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
When they turn 18, they will be legally able to buy their own firearm.
It would behoove the nation to educate all our kids in public and private school what the 2nd amendment is and to train the young minds about gun safety.

The least taught amendment to the constitution in public school, is the 2nd amendment.... and when they do try and talk about it, they totally change the intent and meaning behind the reason for the amendment.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Name another inherent natural right that requires training before being allowed to exercise?

And really, the whole concept of training, certificates, licenses, etc is all so you can have your right to self-defense and still be in Leviathan's good graces from a bureaucratic standpoint. If you don't care about Leviathan's tyranny, then carrying concealed requires not much more than a weapon and method of concealment. Criminals have been employing the "whatever, I'll carry concealed if I feel like it" method since firearms were invented, that's why they have the advantage. Not giving a damn how Leviathan feels about things has its tactical benefits.
It is not an inherent natural right. It is a right granted to own a gun by the 2nd amendment, nothing about concealed weapon

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I may take some more hands on supplemental courses with these guys in the future. Shooting under pressure like they say is far different than at a beer can. Along with more practice practice... just being able to try out the different pistols made it worth it.. different grips, triggers, holsters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies