Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
pride and proud are basically the same thing.

but to answer your question, for many people, they have seen people degrade someone for being black. So to them it is a badge of honor to be proud of your skin color.
Not really.

I take pride in being black by my actions as a black man, not simply because my skin of of a darker hue.

But just being proud to be black? That's lame. Makes no sense to me.

But hey...we can agree to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
She's biracial so how could she be African American? That's probably why she's against the labeling.
Me? I'm Pennsylvanian American.
Almost all African Americans are biracial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Are white South Africans EVER referred to as African Americans?
Hell no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; that attitude's changing, at least by us anglo white people. Tho many Black people HATE it when "1 of their own" LEAVES the "plantation" because there's LESS racism from us in 2014 against mixed race dudes and ladies. So I def understand "people of color"; even full on Black ones, wanting to join the anglo white world because we've got the power and the "rule of law" unlike the ghettos.
Stop. Dude..what power do you have?

You live in Bullhead for crying out loud. Deflate your chest a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow Oprah, she is such a typical, militant liberal. Just look at how uncomfortable she feels with someone just being honest and open. You can see that she doesn't believe this woman has the right to believe differently and see things differently.

A very typical far left liberal. She would have made a good Nazi if they could find a uniform for her to fit into.
Oprah just told her the truth, and you're more offended than the woman was. LMAO...unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The only one who looked stupid here was Oprah.

I agree with her, why should she be considered an African American when she is far removed from that legacy.

Are whites the only ones who do not need to hyphenate their identities?
Then why do white hyphenate their identities?

In any case, what white folks do has no bearing on what blacks should do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Her weight problem is all a part of her mental issues. If she was as enlightened as she portrays herself she would have had her weight under control many, many years ago. She has the money to hire an army of chefs to cook healthy for her.

She's a nut.
LMAO...coming from someone that's probably fat and broke.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not really.

I take pride in being black by my actions as a black man, not simply because my skin of of a darker hue.

But just being proud to be black? That's lame. Makes no sense to me.

But hey...we can agree to disagree.

Almost all African Americans are biracial.

Hell no.

Stop. Dude..what power do you have?

You live in Bullhead for crying out loud. Deflate your chest a little.

Oprah just told her the truth, and you're more offended than the woman was. LMAO...unreal.

Then why do white hyphenate their identities?

In any case, what white folks do has no bearing on what blacks should do.

LMAO...coming from someone that's probably fat and broke.
No: you need to face up that more and more "Black" and especially mixed race people are leaving the "team" because racism IS dropping against at least the decent dudes and ladies who are taking care of business.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
IF this was her idea of being "Politically Correct" :roll eyes:
She failed big time. Raven said she is an American and that being an American doesn't include color.
She said she doesn't want to be labeled and stuffed into a Box.

Political Correctness is ALL about labeling and Box Stuffing.
It was interesting to go to some of the Far Left websites and get their take on her interview.
They were every bit as shocked as poor Oprah was ...... "How DARE she say she doesn't want a label, and then she 'labels' herself the most horrible thing of all ..... an American."

Raven "gets" it. The Leftists never will. Boxes are their way of life. She is comfortable in her own skin and makes zero apologies for that. A lot of people will never understand that. They are incapable.
That is classic. You do realize that she's directing her response to all those people out there who can only pick out that someone is gay or someone is black. The ones who snipe about it all the time. In other words, conservatives. And here you guys are patting yourselves on the back when people like you are who she's talking about. It's amusing that it went right over your head.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
She has a right to state how she would like to be labeled. She is still labeled and by her own words.

I celebrate my womanhood, my ethnicity and sexuality among many other things that make me, me. All of my perspective, experiences, thoughts and attitudes are seen through these lenses. You can't change that nor can you separate these things from the core human because that is what makes the core human and its' experiences.

Last edited by Magritte25; 10-07-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 12:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many Americans label themselves that way. As for me I am not a hyphenated American nor do I define myself by race/ethnicity or sexual preference.
How do you define yourself then and how do you remove your race/ethnicity, sexual preference and gender out of your life experience and perspective?

Old 10-07-2014, 01:06 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why hyphenate yourself by another continent and our country if you were born here anyway?
Minorities are forced to think of themselves this way in our white dominated society. When you are applying for a job, the "voluntary" racial identification form always come up. Ironically, this "voluntary" self-indetification is required to be filled out on many job applications. The racial form gives the categories: "white/caucasian", "black/African", "Asian or Pacific Islander", "Hispanic/Latino", "Native American", "Other" or "Two or more races".

White people in America aren't forced hyphenate like minorities. White people in America aren't referred to as "European Americans". White people, especially conservative leaning white folks, often simply refer to themselves as "American". It's a code used amongst white people primarily only by white people. As a biracial ethnically ambiguous person, some white people ask me if I'm "half American" as if American was a race. Everyone else who is not white refers to white people as, well, white people.

The term "African American" was coined by white people. Many black people don't like to be referred to as African American in their daily lives. Many black people prefer the term "black". The term African American is stupid because not everybody in Africa is black. And no, I'm not just talking about white South Africans. Moroccans, Egyptians and most North Africans are not black. But the term African American in the United States always means descendant of black West African slaves. Someone who was born in Morocco or Egypt but raised in the States would probably be encouraged to check off "Middle Eastern" instead of "African American" which makes even less sense because these people actually are from Africa. Also, black people have lived in America since before the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Black people in America, collectively, have been removed from Africa for hundreds of years. Because of this, most black people in America don't know any of the customs, languages and cultures of West Africa. Continental Africans often do not consider American blacks to be African at all. Black people in America also are generationally mixed as well. Black American culture has been also undoubtedly influenced by Native American and white cultures over hundreds of years. Because of the arbitrary nature of the one drop rule, we have people who have minimal black African ancestry calling themselves African American. Only in America.

But on the other hand, claiming to be African American is a profound acknowledgement of one's roots for millions of black people in this country. And yes, many black cultural trademarks and traditions in America can be traced to native West African traditions.

So being a hyphenated American member of a racial minority group is a double-edged sword. It can be something ugly that the oppressive dominant white society is telling you that you will never truly be a real full-blooded American. Remember Malcolm X saying he was not an American but one of 22 million Africans living in America? But on the flip side, being a hyphenated American is a deep acknowledgement of your roots. It fosters a sense of identity and community based on a common ethnic origin in a country that relentlessly otherizes ethnic minorities.

Generically, white American culture often lacks this acknowledgement of their ethnic roots. Most white people seem to believe that they don't possess ethnicity at all; which is a lie because every human being possesses ethnicity. Outside of full-blooded ethnic whites (i.e. Irish, Italians, Greeks, Russians etc.), garden variety euro-mutt white people believe their own hype that they are just "American" and "normal" and everybody else is "ethnic" and deserves to labelled as different often to their detriment because of whole-hearted belief in stereotypes in a highly racist society with a strict human color-coded pecking order.

How can white Americans be free? - Salon.com

Because of this, white people have no sense of racial unity or community amongst themselves that is present in black, African, Latino, Native American and Asian communities in America. But in America, white pride is seen as racist, which stops many white people from openly being proud of their race. This lack of identity and unity amongst whites leads to ugly antisocial isolationist phenomena in white American culture like rampant drug addiction, one person households as the norm and shoving your aging needy parents into abusive old folks homes.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-07-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Minorities are forced to think of themselves this way in our white dominated society. When you are applying for a job, the "voluntary" racial identification form always come up. Ironically, this "voluntary" self-indetification is required to be filled out on many job applications. The racial form gives the categories: "white/caucasian", "black/African", "Asian or Pacific Islander", "Hispanic/Latino", "Native American", "Other" or "Two or more races".

White people in America aren't forced hyphenate like minorities. White people in America aren't referred to as "European Americans". White people, especially conservative leaning white folks, often simply refer to themselves as "American". It's a code used amongst white people primarily only by white people. Everyone else refers to white people as, well, white people.

The term "African American" was coined by white people. Many black people don't like to be referred to as African American in their daily lives. Many black people prefer the term "black". The term African American is stupid because not everybody in Africa is black. And no, I'm not just talking about white South Africans. Moroccans, Egyptians and most North Africans are not black. Also, black people have lived in America since before the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Black people in America, collectively, have been removed from Africa for hundreds of years. Because of this, most black people in America don't know any of the customs, languages and cultures of West Africa. Continental Africans often do not consider American blacks to be African at all. Black people in America also are generationally mixed as well. Black American culture has been also undoubtedly influenced by Native American and white cultures over hundreds of years. Because of the arbitrary nature of the one drop rule, we have people who have minimal black African ancestry calling themselves African American. Only in America.

But on the other hand, claiming to be African American is a profound acknowledgement of one's roots for millions of black people in this country. And yes, many black cultural trademarks and traditions in America can be traced to native West African traditions.

So being a hyphenated American is a double-edged sword. It can be something ugly that the oppressive dominant white society is telling you that you will never truly be a real full-blooded American. Remember Malcolm X saying he was not an American but one of 22 million Africans living in America? But on the flip side, being a hyphenated American is a deep acknowledgement of your roots.

White American culture lacks this acknowledgement of their roots. Most white people seem to believe that they don't possess ethnicity at all; which is a lie because every human being possesses ethnicity. White people believe their own hype that they are just "American" and "normal" and everybody else is "ethnic" and deserves to labelled as different often to their detriment because of whole-hearted belief in stereotypes in a highly racist society with a strict human color-coded pecking order.

How can white Americans be free? - Salon.com

Because of this, white people have no sense of racial unity or community amongst themselves that is present in black, African, Latino, Native American and Asian communities in America. This lack of identity and unity in white American culture leads to ugly things in white culture like rampant drug addiction and shoving your parents into old folks homes.
Uh; in 2014 the "minorities" of ANY kind many times CHOOSE to be on the outside, especially "Hispanic" people.

Not too long ago: us anglo whites were "Irish, Italian, English, German" and so on like as in different "races". Things change and we've joined together as 1 race.

The drug thing IS a real big problem with at least Rez American Indians and drugs are real big in the Black hoods.

Hispanic culture: if it's so good, then please tell us why every country in LatAm is a racist basket case.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Shows how far we've fallen as a society when something like this is controversial.

People are entitled to describe themselves however they want.

/end thread.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV
Well, I'm a German-Scottish-Italian-French-Serbian- Polish-Estonian-Dutch American.......

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
No: you need to face up that more and more "Black" and especially mixed race people are leaving the "team" because racism IS dropping against at least the decent dudes and ladies who are taking care of business.
Almost all African Americans are mixed race. How many times must that be said?

And you know diddly squat about the "team" except for the crap you hear in news stories. Do you even know a black person? I doubt it.

I'll worry about my people, you worry about yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies