Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV
I was a fan of her TV show. She was cute as a child star and now is just beautiful both in mind and body. She says what I wish more people would say. I have ancestry from Germany, Sweden and other lands that I don't even know, but as far as I'm concerned I am American period, just like Raven Symone.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I thought she held her own very well in that interview, and she is hardly alone in her thoughts on the matter. I also believe that it's very likely that Ms. Symone is multi-ethnic. If she doesn't want to hyphenate herself while others do, who am I to judge?

Signed...a political moderate and undeclared voter

Last edited by randomparent; 10-06-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM

234 posts, read 220,077 times
I think she was trying to be politically correct...#mediaproblem

Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
i love that interview but it hurts that it show opera true colors,

Last edited by brownbagg; 10-06-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
I think she was trying to be politically correct...#mediaproblem
IF this was her idea of being "Politically Correct" :roll eyes:
She failed big time. Raven said she is an American and that being an American doesn't include color.
She said she doesn't want to be labeled and stuffed into a Box.

Political Correctness is ALL about labeling and Box Stuffing.
It was interesting to go to some of the Far Left websites and get their take on her interview.
They were every bit as shocked as poor Oprah was ...... "How DARE she say she doesn't want a label, and then she 'labels' herself the most horrible thing of all ..... an American."

Raven "gets" it. The Leftists never will. Boxes are their way of life. She is comfortable in her own skin and makes zero apologies for that. A lot of people will never understand that. They are incapable.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
What a beautiful interview from Raven, and how bizarre (albeit not surprising) that Oprah concludes that she will draw a lot of flack for her beautiful remarks.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
IF this was her idea of being "Politically Correct" :roll eyes:
She failed big time. Raven said she is an American and that being an American doesn't include color.
She said she doesn't want to be labeled and stuffed into a Box.

Political Correctness is ALL about labeling and Box Stuffing.
It was interesting to go to some of the Far Left websites and get their take on her interview.
They were every bit as shocked as poor Oprah was ...... "How DARE she say she doesn't want a label, and then she 'labels' herself the most horrible thing of all ..... an American."

Raven "gets" it. The Leftists never will. Boxes are their way of life. She is comfortable in her own skin and makes zero apologies for that. A lot of people will never understand that. They are incapable.
LOL, your post is hilarious

Raven is indeed a leftist.

Watching you guys jump for joy in this thread( a thread about something 99% of leftist would agree with), is hilarious.

its almost as bad as the Lupe Fiasco situation.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
LOL, your post is hilarious

Raven is indeed a leftist.

Watching you guys jump for joy in this thread( a thread about something 99% of leftist would agree with), is hilarious.

its almost as bad as the Lupe Fiasco situation.
Sweetie, you just don't get it. It's not a win or lose thing, but people are expressing an honest reaction to a person who is happy in their own skin and not buying into the labels. That's it. She's a nice kid, a lot of us watched her for years on the Cosby Show.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
This thread is a beautiful example of why I also am shunning labels, specifically liberal or conservative.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV
African American is a product the White man has been selling the Black man for a couple decades now. I saw a survey a few years ago (not looking it up) that showed somewhere around 60% of Black people didn't care if you called them Black or African American, 30% wanted to be called African American & about 10% preferred Black. What it demonstrated was that the vast majority of Black people really didn't care about the term at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies