Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times

Advertisements

You guys understand that they are not saying ISIS is better than America. It has nothing to do with their perceived social status, political beliefs or anything like that. Think about it. They are saying that America can do more harm on a global scale. ISIS is a bunch of thugs in one region. We have the most powerful military in the world. Do you guys really think ISIS is more powerful than the USA? Come on.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM

366 posts, read 452,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You guys understand that they are not saying ISIS is better than America. It has nothing to do with their perceived social status, political beliefs or anything like that. Think about it. They are saying that America can do more harm on a global scale. ISIS is a bunch of thugs in one region. We have the most powerful military in the world. Do you guys really think ISIS is more powerful than the USA? Come on.
Isis is a radical group fueled by nothing but hate and has no sense of logic. The U.S. is a benevolent country founded on the beliefs of liberty and honor. I don't even know why they would compare the two. They are crazy. I have no respect for them.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Judging by the responses, no. Very few people understand this. Which is a shame really.

These students weren't just saying 'AMERICA AND FREEDOM' they were offering an intelligent response. The question was asked knowing how it would be answered. Had they asked 'who has the moral high ground, ISIS or the US,' the answers would be overwhelmingly US, if not entirely US. But that wasn't the question. It was 'who can do what' and ISIS cannot do much to affect anything outside the Middle East.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
If you country is in trouble.....who do you call to help?? ISIS or America?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
Isis is a radical group fueled by nothing but hate and has no sense of logic. The U.S. is a benevolent country founded on the beliefs of liberty and honor. I don't even know why they would compare the two. They are crazy. I have no respect for them.
OH MY GOD!

That was not the question asked though! It was who could do what. ISIS cannot effect the entire world. It doesn't matter if they are fueled by hate. They aren't strong enough. The US however could. It's not that they will, it's that they could. The US is luckily for the world, not filled with hate or out to kill nearly everyone. ISIS is, but they aren't actually a threat to the world because they aren't big enough. The US is. It's not a question of ethics, it's a question of world influence.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Judging by the responses, no. Very few people understand this. Which is a shame really.

These students weren't just saying 'AMERICA AND FREEDOM' they were offering an intelligent response. The question was asked knowing how it would be answered. Had they asked 'who has the moral high ground, ISIS or the US,' the answers would be overwhelmingly US, if not entirely US. But that wasn't the question. It was 'who can do what' and ISIS cannot do much to affect anything outside the Middle East.
Anyone with a functioning brain would realize the U.S. is unlikely to do anything on that scale. im going out on a limb and assuming none of these kids are legacy. They're either minority or got to go on account of financial aid.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
OH MY GOD!

That was not the question asked though! It was who could do what. ISIS cannot effect the entire world. It doesn't matter if they are fueled by hate. They aren't strong enough. The US however could. It's not that they will, it's that they could. The US is luckily for the world, not filled with hate or out to kill nearly everyone. ISIS is, but they aren't actually a threat to the world because they aren't big enough. The US is. It's not a question of ethics, it's a question of world influence.
Why even bring up that question then? By bringing up and answering that question it implies they've lost faith in the U.S. and will assume they are or will become like ISIS.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If you country is in trouble.....who do you call to help?? ISIS or America?
America. Which is why they are a bigger threat. The US can actually do something. As I've said before, they tend to gravite to doing the ethical thing (or what appears ethical at the time).

Quote:
Anyone with a functioning brain would realize the U.S. is unlikely to do anything on that scale. im going out on a limb and assuming none of these kids are legacy. They're either minority or got to go on account of financial aid.
Yeah... but anyone with a functioning brain would know that I wasn't saying otherwise. The US will certainly not end world peace anytime soon, but they could do so at anytime if they really wanted to (they, for the sake of clarity, is the government of the US). ISIS might WANT to end world peace, but what would they use to do that? They are not big enough to influence the world, and probably will never get the change to be big enough to influence the world. Therefore, by taking all of that into account, the US is more likely to end world peace on the ground that the US actually has the resources to do so. Sure, ISIS might have the desire to do so, but I weight ability to way more than I way desire to.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
America. Which is why they are a bigger threat. The US can actually do something. As I've said before, they tend to gravite to doing the ethical thing (or what appears ethical at the time).

Yeah... but anyone with a functioning brain would know that I wasn't saying otherwise. The US will certainly not end world peace anytime soon, but they could do so at anytime if they really wanted to (they, for the sake of clarity, is the government of the US). ISIS might WANT to end world peace, but what would they use to do that? They are not big enough to influence the world, and probably will never get the change to be big enough to influence the world. Therefore, by taking all of that into account, the US is more likely to end world peace on the ground that the US actually has the resources to do so. Sure, ISIS might have the desire to do so, but I weight ability to way more than I way desire to.
The Muslim population is rising. In 50 years most Europeans will be dead and Europe will become a continent of Muslims. Groups like ISIS will gain more and more influence with that transition.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Why even bring up that question then? By bringing up and answering that question it implies they've lost faith in the U.S. and will assume they are or will become like ISIS.
The question has a political agenda. It was asked by conservatives, knowing the answer would not be ISIS because they are far less likely to actually influence the world. The answers are then presented as anti-American, even though the answers are not meant to be viewed in that context given the clearly hypothetical nature of the question. That's why it was asked. To peg liberalism as bad to an already conservative viewing base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.