Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM

366 posts, read 452,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The question has a political agenda. It was asked by conservatives, knowing the answer would not be ISIS because they are far less likely to actually influence the world. The answers are then presented as anti-American, even though the answers are not meant to be viewed in that context given the clearly hypothetical nature of the question. That's why it was asked. To peg liberalism as bad to an already conservative viewing base.
It definitely coincides with the large number of younger folks who go off to support Isis. I feel their sympathy for those c4 islams goes farther than you lead on.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
The Muslim population is rising. In 50 years most Europeans will be dead and Europe will become a continent of Muslims. Groups like ISIS will gain more and more influence with that transition.
Highly doubtful. Islam may be more common in Europe, but the westernization of the Muslim immigrants will most likely result in moderate Muslims. Basically, no different than Christians; they believe but not too literally. Not to mention the western world's disdain for terrorism. Liberalism may be quick to defend Islam, but terrorists, regardless of religion, are not defended.

Also, in 50 years, many Muslim immigrants will be second or third generation and equally European. And unless you have a solid statistic that shows evidence that the Muslim immigrants are in fact militant, I see no need to worry about that. Most are probably also fleeing ISIS and instability of the Middle East.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
It definitely coincides with the large number of younger folks who go off to support Isis. I feel their sympathy for those c4 islams goes farther than you lead on.
How large of a number? Obviously, any number is technically too large, but when compared to the general population, how many people are actually actively supporting ISIS? And I'm not asking this as a hypothetical, I would love legitimate answers. I have yet to come across anything that suggests there is a massive epidemic of ISIS supporters (anywhere outside of the Middle East) and if there is, we'd agree: that's a problem. We may disagree on the solutions, but that's not really relevant at the moment.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
The Muslim population is rising. In 50 years most Europeans will be dead and Europe will become a continent of Muslims. Groups like ISIS will gain more and more influence with that transition.

Ala the Dark Ages?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
OH MY GOD!

That was not the question asked though! It was who could do what. ISIS cannot effect the entire world. It doesn't matter if they are fueled by hate. They aren't strong enough. The US however could. It's not that they will, it's that they could. The US is luckily for the world, not filled with hate or out to kill nearly everyone. ISIS is, but they aren't actually a threat to the world because they aren't big enough. The US is. It's not a question of ethics, it's a question of world influence.
Clearly this is a difficult question to understand for some. We both explained it a few times and the responses have nothing to do with what either one of us said. I think this is a lost cause!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
[youtube]
=9EtuPJ0H-Fc[youtube]

We are so screwed........... Liberalism has destroyed our youth...........
wow...please use spellcheck before initiating a thread . not everyone here has an IQ of 50 and believes Fux "news" represents facts in todays political climate.

Harvard is an actual school. are you a bot?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,467 times
I'm pretty conservative, but to think that ISIS has anywhere near the capacity to destablize the world that America does would be ignorant. The headline of the thread and the question framed in the video are two different things. Perhaps if the question in the video was "which is more evil?" and the students answered "America" then there would be a legit point to this thread.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
take a plane trip to London. get an education on multi-culturalism that was taught in decent colleges since 1989. The world is a complex place.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
I'm pretty conservative, but to think that ISIS has anywhere near the capacity to destablize the world that America does would be ignorant. The headline of the thread and the question framed in the video are two different things. Perhaps if the question in the video was "which is more evil?" and the students answered "America" then there would be a legit point to this thread.
Thank you for this... It honestly meant so much to hear a conservative look at this question critically not just jump on the 'they hate America' band wagon.

Seriously, God bless you (and I'm an atheist).

Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 PM

366 posts, read 452,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
take a plane trip to London. get an education on multi-culturalism that was taught in decent colleges since 1989. The world is a complex place.
Complex does not necessarily mean better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies