Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a Muslim President?
Yes (If they fit my political beliefs) 83 32.94%
No 161 63.89%
Not sure 8 3.17%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Basically, I'm suspicious of any Muslim in office because Islam across the world has proven itself to be against individual rights and particularly destructive to women and gays. In short, Islam in many places is the antithesis of Western small "L" liberalism. I am very wary of Islamofascists infiltrating our institutions of government with ulterior motives that are not in the interest of Western civilization.

I wish I could say I'm shocked that so many supposed liberals are willing to jump on the Sharia bandwagon, but nothing about American liberalism surprises me anymore.
Show me where any lib is jumping on the sharia bandwagon.
Why does the right lie so much?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Just thought it would be interesting to see how many would and wouldn't. Feel free to explain your reasoning.

nope, not a chance in hell. not even if the choice was my head or vote for them.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, lets just ignore that they shot her in the head because she wanted to go to school.
Actually, you are the one ignoring a key part of this. Her FATHER, a MUSLIM, helped to build the school so girls could have an education. The FACT that MUSLIMS built the school flies in the face of your statement that all MUSLIMS want to deny girls an education. Some MUSLIMS don't want to educate women, and some MUSLIMS DO want to educate women. Ergo, not all MUSLIMS agree on this issue.

See how that works?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This type of post is why I will never feel safe in this country as a Jew. I keep hoping society will prove me wrong, but when so many people would not vote for someone based on their religion or ethnic background, I just have to hope that the mentality will die out before I bring children into the world.
Uh; you might be waiting till you die then. Too; most "Jews" don't make enough babies to replace their people who die. Tho the Ultra Orthodox are def a different breed. Just that many people DON'T like their kind, even other Jewish people.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This type of post is why I will never feel safe in this country as a Jew. I keep hoping society will prove me wrong, but when so many people would not vote for someone based on their religion or ethnic background, I just have to hope that the mentality will die out before I bring children into the world.
Yes, it is scary. It won't get better though, unless you gather your courage and stand to face it.

"We're us and you're not" is hardwired into the human brain. The trick is enlarging the definition of "us". And we are working on it!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:34 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And would you look at the poll results?

The NO vote is winning as of now, but the results for YES are very disturbing (as in, I can't believe anybody would even vote YES to a Muslim). Are we that serious?

I will vote for whoever's policy ideas are closer to mine. Religion is the least of my concerns as long as their personal religious beliefs don't interfere with their policy decisions.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Second post on the thread and reason has already been abandoned.

What makes you think a Muslim president will be a extreme Muslim sympathizer? Just because he/she is Muslim? Why then didn't Bush or Clinton, both Christian presidents, agree with the extreme view that the Earth is 6,000 years old? Why were they not willing to pass extremely negative laws towards homosexuals? After all, they were Christian and surely would support extreme Christianity?
Our current Muslim sympathizer is in the back pockets of CAIR....a quasi-hate organization operating under the guise of tolerance. Our current Muslim sympathizer on Day 1 decided that there would be "sunlight" between America and Israel. Our current Muslim sympathizer (ie. Mr. Bow At The Hips) is so paralyzed by Muslim sympathies that his foreign policy is in shambles. Our current Muslim sympathizer eradicated words like "War On Terror" because he thought it offended Muslims. The list goes on an on. What makes you think that a full-blown Muslim would operate with less enthusiasm for Muslim affairs than our current worthless Muslim-sympathizing President?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Basically, I'm suspicious of any Muslim in office because Islam across the world has proven itself to be against individual rights and particularly destructive to women and gays. In short, Islam in many places is the antithesis of Western small "L" liberalism. I am very wary of Islamofascists infiltrating our institutions of government with ulterior motives that are not in the interest of Western civilization.

I wish I could say I'm shocked that so many supposed liberals are willing to jump on the Sharia bandwagon, but nothing about American liberalism surprises me anymore.
This liberal isn't.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM

577 posts, read 900,666 times
The problem with Obama is he was never nor has ever been upfront about what his beliefs are. He acts atheistic when it suits him, acts christian when it suits him, sympathizes with muslim causes when it suits him, and by all appearances isn't concerned about the global spread of islamist extremism.

I would trust someone who is direct and upfront, and unwavering in his beliefs- even if I disagreed with them- more than I could believe in someone who changes as the wind blows and always seems to be hiding his true sentiments.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Let's be honest. We've had some pretty pathetic Christians, including millions who engaged in slavery, lynching, the KKK, forced labor, child molestation, Jim Crow, drowning, burning, the subjugation of women, antisemitism, hideous tortures, the eradication of other cultures and countless other barbaric and insane acts.

The key is to make sure that NO religious group gets in charge of the government. I don't care what somebody's personal beliefs are as long as they keep it to themselves and do their job in a competent manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.