Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where geographically is the rebel flag acceptable?
Anywhere in the nation 69 47.92%
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line 6 4.17%
Anywhere in the former Confederacy 15 10.42%
Any rural area in any region 2 1.39%
Nowhere 57 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What part of southern heritage is the Confederate flag representing?
What part of my family life growing up in DC does my Republic of Ireland flag have? None.
What part of my growing up in the 20th century does my 18th century Gadsden flag have? None.
What part of being born in 1967 and not even having a single family member who served in Vietnam does my POW MIA flag have? None.

Flags are a form of expression as much and sometimes moreso than a national standard. They don't need to have anything to do with anything other than the person displaying them simply liking the flag itself. Is there a "must relate to heritage" requirement in the US Code covering flag display?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
If you wish to place a target on yourself, just to make a point... Be my guest!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you wish to place a target on yourself, just to make a point... Be my guest!
Exactly. Most people are not big fans of what they assume the confederate stars/bars flag represents, but if you are down with people stereotyping you into a pretty negative caricature based on that flag, then fly it with gusto. WGAF?

Somebody might see my "Galt-Rearden 2012" and "I am John Galt" window stickers and key my car because they love Leviathan. I don't rightly GAF. My speech, my expression.

People get too caught up in wanting to catch offense at everything they see.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Anywhere! I support Southerners who display the Confederate flag because it's their heritage. It find it more respectable to be proud of your heritage than to be ashamed of it. I also support displays of the flag from non-Southerners who display it for whatever reason. Indeed, there's no better flag to fly to thumb your nose at the treacherous, globalist, sell-out US government (while still upholding American values) than the rebel flag.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
I don't identify with fat backs and chitlins. So what...
So what? You might want to ask why most Blacks don't consider it part of their southern heritage.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What part of my family life growing up in DC does my Republic of Ireland flag have? None.
What part of my growing up in the 20th century does my 18th century Gadsden flag have? None.
What part of being born in 1967 and not even having a single family member who served in Vietnam does my POW MIA flag have? None.

Flags are a form of expression as much and sometimes moreso than a national standard. They don't need to have anything to do with anything other than the person displaying them simply liking the flag itself. Is there a "must relate to heritage" requirement in the US Code covering flag display?
You totally missed the point of my question. I even added more onto another post. But I will re-iterate my point if I must. A slight majority of Blacks are southerners. Most Blacks in the USA have ancestral roots in the South, whether they are born in Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, or other cities outside of the South. However, how come Blacks are expressing it as part of their southern heritage? Ever thought about why?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You totally missed the point of my question. I even added more onto another post. But I will re-iterate my point if I must. A slight majority of Blacks are southerners. Most Blacks in the USA have ancestral roots in the South, whether they are born in Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, or other cities outside of the South. However, how come Blacks are expressing it as part of their southern heritage? Ever thought about why?
Nope. I never really ponder why other people do what they do.

If a black person is down with any of the CSA flags, I'd assume irony first, then maybe tradition to a region next, then maybe artistic challenge after that. Who knows. Never really occurred to me to ask.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The rebel flag (Battle Flag of Virginia) doesn't represent the heritage of most southerners. Not the majority of whites who were poor backwoodsmen and sharecroppers, and certainly not the heritage of blacks who are just as much Southerners. It represents the power structure that exploited all of those people to maintain their economic and social superiority. In 2014 there are a lot of mixed feelings among southerners about that flag. It's nice to have a symbol, a representation of you distinctiveness, but that symbol's association with the defense of slavery, and with the Confederacy as a whole makes for some mental discomfort in a lot of people. Frankly, these days in the South the display of the flag is advertising one's politics and level of education.

The confederate apologist are a largely dying breed and you're probably more likely to see confederate flags in Ohio and Indiana than in Atlanta or Charleston.
Well, at least you are thinking about this now. My mother said this of the Confederate flag. She said "I'm southern, but it isn't my pride". If it is southern pride, it should represent everyone's southern heritage. The truth is, slavery and the Confederate cause and linked, and many do not like admitting that.

And consider this. The use of the Confederate flag in the South has sometimes involved Jim Crow during the South's history.

To be honest, I live in the Atlanta area. The further away I get from the inner parts of the metro, the more I see Confederate flags. Where I live, I can sometimes see people flying Confederate flags from their trucks, and a few people flying it in front of their homes. As soon as I get enough money to leave, I'm gone.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nope. I never really ponder why other people do what they do.

If a black person is down with any of the CSA flags, I'd assume irony first, then maybe tradition to a region next, then maybe artistic challenge after that. Who knows. Never really occurred to me to ask.
Well, perhaps you should think about why some people do what they do. I'm trying to get people to think about these things.

And something else. I've only seen maybe one or two Black people wear anything with the CSA flags. I see irony, and then I shake my head. I think to myself "excuse me, have you read the Articles of Secession? Are you aware that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason why secession was desired? Have you also considered that you are descended from slaves?".

Perhaps you need to ask more questions. Perhaps alot more people need to ask questions. No one has ever asked why Blacks often don't identify with the Confederate flag. And this is especially ironic consider there are more Blacks in the South than any other US region.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Well, perhaps you should think about why some people do what they do. I'm trying to get people to think about these things.

And something else. I've only seen maybe one or two Black people wear anything with the CSA flags. I see irony, and then I shake my head. I think to myself "excuse me, have you read the Articles of Secession? Are you aware that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason why secession was desired? Have you also considered that you are descended from slaves?".

Perhaps you need to ask more questions. Perhaps alot more people need to ask questions. No one has ever asked why Blacks often don't identify with the Confederate flag. And this is especially ironic consider there are more Blacks in the South than any other US region.
Why do I need to ask more questions? Free speech is free. It isn't required to pass literacy, heritage or meaning tests. It's just free.

If a black person wears CSA flag stuff head to toe, joins the Klan or drives the General Lee...what do I care? Doesn't affect me in the least, nor does most free speech, even if boorish and moronic.

Black people celebrate kwanzaa like it is something from Africa or part of their heritage, and don't know it was created by a domestic terrorist named Ron Karenga in the 1960s, whose most famous "contribution" to the cause was the violent rape/assault of two women and killing a couple of the Black Panthers. Oh no, it's a peaceful celebration about unity, blah blah. But honestly, what do I care if a black person wants to do the Karenga dance and call it kwanzaa? Doesn't affect my Advent or Christmas, so WGAF?

How many dumb***** hipsters wear Che Guevara t-shirts and don't know he was a murderous scumbag? Probably a lot. So what?

I went to a job interview at a college once, and in the room I was interviewed in, there was an old propaganda poster of VI Lenin, and on the dude's desk was a red star. OK, great, he's into Leninism. Maybe he knows the suffering Lenin caused to his own people, maybe he doesn't? WGAF?

So why would I care if a black person digs on the Stars & Bars? Their free speech, they can use it how they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies