Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where geographically is the rebel flag acceptable?
Anywhere in the nation 69 47.92%
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line 6 4.17%
Anywhere in the former Confederacy 15 10.42%
Any rural area in any region 2 1.39%
Nowhere 57 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One Black man out of how many of the millions of Blacks in the USA? That one video does not refute that most Blacks do not identify with the Confederate flag. It does not refute that many don't like it. That video talks about that one man. What about the rest of the 40 million African-Americans in the USA? What about the estimated 22-25 million Blacks who live in the South?

to them I say
do not fly the flag
hell MILLIONS of us did not vote for Obama but that does not change the fact he is president
there is nothing I can do to make Obama NOT be president
you would tell me
GET OVER IT
well I say to the ones who do not like the flag do not fly it but you have NO right to stop anyone who does want to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
why does this bother some folks?? I think it rather amusing
I live in Atlanta and every one in awhile I see one on a sticker on a pick up never think a thing about it
the civil war happened it was a flag from that war
for folks to **** and moan about it what 150 years ago??
I say get a life hopefully in this century LOL
Why does THIS bother some folks?

Or THIS?

Or THIS?

Or THIS?

Images don't mean the same for everyone. To get mad at or question why someone would be offended by something you see nothing wrong with is just as short sighted and ignorant as going "overly P.C." on certain issues...

Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That had nothing to do with Cinco Demayo itself. The kids of mexican heritage wanted to hold a celebration, they got permission from the school to do so. Some kids who saw that as "anti Americans" then decided they would all wear and bring American flags on the day of the celebration and antagonize those who decided to celebrate Cinco Demayo and even causing a small riot. tensions at the school continued to rise for about a week, and the school decided to tell everyone to leave their flags at home.

In conservative media, the lie of what happen lapped the world 10 times before the truth got its pants on.
How does our flag antagonize those kids? I mean flying it on US soil, at US public school. Sounds more like pandering to one group.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:35 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
...no, it is a symbol of Southern racism.... which happens to be the sole heritage of the South. Slavery, racism, and Jim Crow. Flying a Confederate flag says "I'm damn proud of this history!!!"

Exactly!

Every black person I know up here gets enraged when they see that flag.
There are so many other things that could represent Southern culture, at least in my opinion. The magnolia would be a good symbol of the South. Why use the banner of those who sought to break away from the USA in the name of keeping slavery around?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why do I need to ask more questions? Free speech is free. It isn't required to pass literacy, heritage or meaning tests. It's just free.

If a black person wears CSA flag stuff head to toe, joins the Klan or drives the General Lee...what do I care? Doesn't affect me in the least, nor does most free speech, even if boorish and moronic.

Black people celebrate kwanzaa like it is something from Africa or part of their heritage, and don't know it was created by a domestic terrorist named Ron Karenga in the 1960s, whose most famous "contribution" to the cause was the violent rape/assault of two women and killing a couple of the Black Panthers. Oh no, it's a peaceful celebration about unity, blah blah. But honestly, what do I care if a black person wants to do the Karenga dance and call it kwanzaa? Doesn't affect my Advent or Christmas, so WGAF?

How many dumb***** hipsters wear Che Guevara t-shirts and don't know he was a murderous scumbag? Probably a lot. So what?

I went to a job interview at a college once, and in the room I was interviewed in, there was an old propaganda poster of VI Lenin, and on the dude's desk was a red star. OK, great, he's into Leninism. Maybe he knows the suffering Lenin caused to his own people, maybe he doesn't? WGAF?

So why would I care if a black person digs on the Stars & Bars? Their free speech, they can use it how they like.
First, we are talking about the Confederate flag, not Kwanzaa.

Second, if I see a Black person wearing a Confederate flag, said person is free to do it, but don't be surprised if I take issue with it. I look at it based on the history.

And Third, if Ron Karenga is a terrorist, then what do you call the CSA, who sought to keep slavery around? Ron Karenga, isn't peaceful, but can you prove that the principles of Kwanzaa aren't?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I didn't vote because I feel it's not "appropriate" for me to do so since I don't live there and I don't care one way or another about that flag. But to answer your question, I think if you feel you need to make a political statement about yourself by wearing it, then wear it wherever you want without making up any excuses about where it is or isn't appropriate to do so.

If wearing it or flying it gets you some respect and approval from people you want to impress and who feel the same way as you then you've accomplished the positive recognition you want for yourself. If wearing it gets you disrespect and disapproval from people who don't feel the same way as you, you've accomplished the negative recognition that you want for yourself.

Either way you're a winner in your own eyes because you've achieved what you want, which is both positive and negative attention. It isn't really about the flag or about what other people think of its appropriateness, it's really all about you and your personal appropriateness in public and the kind of attention that you are seeking for yourself.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 AM

215 posts, read 390,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I met socially acceptable to fly in front of your house, have on a t-shirt or on a bumper sticker. I do think only the national, state, and county flags should be displayed "officially" in front of a public building but I'm okay with the flag in the South Carolina statehouse as it doesn't have official status.

I think anywhere south of the Mason Dixon Line, it should be socially acceptable for a private business to display a rebel flag, or for it to be brought to football games, concerts, parades, etc and of course on private property. I do try to avoid wearing my Confederate colors when I travel north of the Mason-Dixon Line, though a point CAN be made that if its okay for illegal aliens to fly the Mexican flag after coming to the US, why can't a transplanted Southerner living in Ohio fly their flag there.

It's a shame some people outside the South have a negative perception of the flag just because of the liberal media, liberal Hollywood and the liberal public school systems. Even within the South there are liberal educators (and not all of them are transplants) who are trying to ban the Confederate flag from schools. The people I know who fly the flag are NOT racist. I do know that it really gets the liberal elite riled up when they see it when they travel here to West Virginia and see the flag flying. I don't see why it is a symbol of racism just because the liberal elite says it is. Their beliefs to not take precedence over ours.

I've noticed people from the north who are Civil War buffs and have studied American history extensively are usually NOT offended by the rebel flag and understand that the war was not mainly about slavery. There was some debate about how during the government shutdown a tea party protestor brought a Confederate flag to the White House and the liberal elite media said it was racist but the war was as much over taxes and the unfair tariffs charged on the South than it was about slavery and it also represents rebellion against an overreaching and overbearing federal government much like the one we see today.
I agree with everything you say except for how you blame the media for people looking at it as a racist symbol.
If people see it as a racist symbol its the fault of southerners themselves

All you have to do is look at photos from the 1960's and all the protests that show Klansmen parading up and down waving the confederate flag and then just general people and the general population also waving the flag at different times when protesting against desegregation while all of this is going on, black people are getting lynched, riots everywhere, even at schools have to have the national guard to protect children from being attacked

sh*t, no wonder everyone else sees it as a racist symbol, it was people from the south who made it that way. People saw it as a racist symbol ( with good reason) LONG before the modern era of political correctness and crap. You cant blame that on the liberal media of today.

try telling a black person in the south in the 1940's 50';s and 60's it's not a racist symbol in their time.

I agree with everything you say, but its not some liberal biased crap they just made up

its been seen as a racist symbol because alot of racist people, and racist groups co-opted that flag and used it for that purpose

the Klan itself revived the confederate flag for their own purposes, and still use it now for the same f*cking reason.

why are you seriously surprised it's seen as a racist symbol

lets be honest, for many white people its not neccesarily a racist symbol
there's 2 reasons
for us, it was never anything bad attached to it. It never did us any harm at all,

and maybe alot of white who fly it dont have racist views but there have been more people who do use it as a racist symbol then those who use it for other reasons who dont use it as a racist thing.

then you have slavery and yes, I dont see how anyone can sit there and have the f*cking nerve to say the war was not about slavery since men like Jefferson Davis said very blatantly it was about slavery and the whole entire issue that kicked off the first shot was whether or not slavery would be allowed to spread out west and continue or not

how the hell is that NOT about slavery??? it was the main focal point above all else!

and YES there were OTHER IMPORTANT things too, It was not ONLY about slavery but no one can ever seriously even try to deny how important the role of slavery played in everything too

it was just about more than slavery is the best anyone can say but you cant say it was not about slavery or had little to do with it because it had everything to do with it
there was just more than that also and for alot of people who fought for the south maybe those other reasons were more important to them and why they really fought but slavery itself was the driving factor behind the very idea of secession and creating a confederacy in first place.

and for the government, and the planters who ran it, it was most definitely about slavery above all else

so yeah maybe for you its not about racism, maybe you are not racist when you fly it

I know alot of country people who have it and even have it tattooed on them and alot of them are not racist, I know one especially who grew up going back and forth between the sticks and the projects when he was growing up.

But you cant sit there and seriously expect it to not be anything racist for other people though... especially black people

of course to them its a racist symbol, all they ever saw was klansmen and later even skinheads and before then just general white people in the south flying it and using it while calling them racist names and messing with them.

you saying its not racist is like a follower of Louis Farrakahn telling me he;s not racist he just wants what's best for his people.

For that particular guy it maybe true and he may really be that way but no matter what anyone says, to me someone like Farrakhan will always be racist

so even if you and half the white people who fly that flag are not seriously racist and even if there were more issues to the civil war for alot of the people who fought, other than slavery, it still doesnt change how important slavery was and the role it played during that war overall and it doesnt change the history of that flag being worn by alot of white people who do use it for racist reasons.

Lets be honest, its only NOW people say its not a racist symbol.

back in 1960's or 1950's people were not saying "oh its not racist"
were they?

back then they were using it at least, in part, specifically for it to be a racist symbol and against racial equality so who the hell are you trying to fool?

and yes its about other things completely irrelevant to racism or slavery it IS about freedom and about being against a tyrannical government and it is, most of all just a basic cultural symbol of the south but its also about racism and all of that too

even if thats not how YOU mean it or how I mean it, that type of crap is associated with the flag too and you have to respect that also because its not just from the liberal media its because there were and still are alot of white people who do use it just for it to be a racist symbol, especially against black people, most of all.

you cant deny that.

you need to be true to the history of that flag. It means alot of things to alot of people

freedom, liberty from a big government, culture, where you're from in general and yes racism, and slavery all rolled into one symbol.

the flag itself means all of that even if the person flying it doesnt neccesarily hold all of those views or cares for everything the flag stands for but only cares for some of its better qualities.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I find it geographically acceptable up some redneck's rectum.

how racist can you get? what if the same was said about the mexican flag?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:49 PM

779 posts, read 632,867 times
I get that it is a symbol of The South but do those who lose civil wars normally get to go around flying the symbol of attempted secession?

I mean at one point swastikas were a positive symbol in some cultures but it's pretty tough to give a good reason that one would dismiss it's more current history for the sake of pride in an older belief. Even Asian countries where is it is a good symbol, they recognize that in places outside of their country they need to modify or remove it because of what it means to others.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:05 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
It's a symbol of those who wanted to secede and get away from the North that was taxing the crap out of them. (By the way, you do realize that the Northern states also had slaves....right? Or did you all conveniently forget that part of history?)

The Confederate flag stands not only for Southern Pride, it also stands for a belief in state's rights. The war was not just about slavery, the war was actually started because the south wanted to secede from the north, and Lincoln didn't want that to happen. To state that the war was all about slavery is a flat out lie.

So why Southern Pride? It's not because people in the south had slaves, it's because they were willing to die for what they believed in - freedom.

To Southerners, the south is everything:

Quote:
"The South is a land that has known sorrows; It is a land that has broken the ashen crust and moistened it with tears; A land scarred and riven by the plowshare of war and billowed with the graves of her dead; But a land of legend, a land of song, a land of hallowed and heroic memories."

"To that land every drop of my blood, every fibre of my being, every pulsation of my heart, is consecrated forever."

"I was born of her womb; I was nurtured at her breast; And when my last 
hour shall come, I pray God that I may be pillowed upon her bosom and 
rocked to sleep within her tender and encircling arms."

Edward Ward Carmack (1858-1908)
United States Representative, Tennessee
(taken from a speech delivered on the floor of the US Congress)
The Confederate flag was not about hatred towards blacks. That fact that some people misuse it that way should not reflect on those who do choose to fly it, or display it, because that is also stereotyping...which is what those who are against it say that those who choose to display it are doing.

You choose to be offended. A better idea would be to actually read history, not that clap trap they tell you in school, and put down the hatorade for one minute to learn what something means instead of parroting what everyone else told you it means.

Here's a little something about General Stonewall Jackson, a Confederate General:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2002/01/r...lack-literacy/

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-13-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies