Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where geographically is the rebel flag acceptable?
Anywhere in the nation 69 47.92%
Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line 6 4.17%
Anywhere in the former Confederacy 15 10.42%
Any rural area in any region 2 1.39%
Nowhere 57 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Private property (regardless of location-they're popular in rural Australia for some reason) and any ex-CSA city/county/state buildings/flags if the majority chooses.

I'm from New York so I don't care much per se (though I have seen them flying in rural New York), but the above approach gibes with my ideas on freedom of expression and association.

I will say I find the "stars and bars" vastly aesthetically superior to the irritatingly asymmetrical American flag.
I do wonder if you've ever seen a tourist from Mississippi or South Carolina walking the streets of Manhattan with one of the "Rebel" or "Dixie" shirts of ball caps that is very common in the South at least in rural areas. Here in West Virginia you do see much fewer ones in the northern half of the state like around Morgantown and Wheeling than in the southern half. During WV's statehood the majority of power was concentrated in the culturally northern part even though the population wasn't there. So not everyone here even celebrates statehood today because there wasn't actually a referendum before WV split away from Virginia and stayed in the Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do wonder if you've ever seen a tourist from Mississippi or South Carolina walking the streets of Manhattan with one of the "Rebel" or "Dixie" shirts of ball caps that is very common in the South at least in rural areas. Here in West Virginia you do see much fewer ones in the northern half of the state like around Morgantown and Wheeling than in the southern half. During WV's statehood the majority of power was concentrated in the culturally northern part even though the population wasn't there. So not everyone here even celebrates statehood today because there wasn't actually a referendum before WV split away from Virginia and stayed in the Union.
There absolutely was a county by referendum for secession from Virginia. The validity of some of inclusion of some of the Eastern Panhandle and southern counties was questionable, but that was decided by the Supreme Court. Viginia vs. West Virginia 1871.

The northern counties were far more pro-unionist than the southern counties but the north was where everyone lived. In 1890 the Northern Panhandle and Ohio River Valley were the population centers of West Virginia. Wheeling was by far the largest city West Virginia City Populations 1890.

There was no love between the industrial north of WV, the sparsely populated mountain communities, and the planter class pro-Confederates based in Richmond.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
I don't want to see that ****. It is offensive.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Anywhere one likes.

Having said that, I wouldn't be caught dead with one on my property.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Anywhere freedom of speech still exists? I find twerking, reality shows and Justin Bieber all more offensive than the flag of the CSA, and none of those things are illegal. If it offends you, don't look. I find both top 40 and country music annoying, so you know what...I DON'T TUNE INTO STATIONS THAT PLAY EITHER.

The whole culture of "I take offense, therefore someone else must change their behavior" in this country is sickening.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Don't look at it.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Close your eyes.

If blind people arnt offended......

Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
In hell.

That's as south as you can get, I guess.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
I personally do not care for it.

Never in any official/state function.

What people put on their own private property or person is none of my business. Battlefields and cemetaries are fine. I will say I found it odd that Washington & Lee removed them from the Lee Chapel. Hey, the man fought for it. It's no hidden secret.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
My rebel flag is - and has been for years - proudly displayed on the wall of my bedroom closet. It should be accepted on any private property where a free man chooses fly the flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies