Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:12 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,613,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama increased taxes later, when Republicans insisted on a balanced budget, which requires increased tax revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,044,302 times
Based upon my observations, I find that many die-hard liberals have an odd emotional attachment to their opinions. It's almost dogmatic, like a religion in a bizarre way. They, both ironically and hypocritically, believe with all their hearts that claiming the title of "liberal" makes them so enlightened and open-minded, that only their viewpoint is the "right" one, is the "progressive" one, and that anyone who has another opinion than their own is automatically un-enlightened, closed-minded, backwards, and bigoted.

I believe there are good, and bad, people of all political viewpoints. I am good friends with many liberals, conservatives, and libertarians (I myself identify as a conservative with a libertarian mindset). I get along great with all of them, however whenever it comes to a political discussion, which is done in a casual and respectful manner, it's always my liberal friends who get their feelings hurt. They're always the one's who resort to hyperbole of some sort and get angry and upset. This does not happen among my friends with other views upon hearing a different opinion, they just argue against the argument and will still have a beer with you afterward. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but I believe if you ask enough people you'll notice a common trend among liberals.

Partly I think it's because what is called modern-day "liberalism" is so much of a fantasy that it's followers don't want to admit it. For example just the other night I was with some friends and one of them whose very liberal attempted to argue that we need no borders, because Belgium and Holland have no borders between them. After we explained to her that she was comparing apples and oranges, she got upset and called us racists and claimed that we stole the land from the Mexicans and we have no right to be here. It's like reading Harry Potter and trying to apply it to the real world, it's not realistic, but they just can't grasp that because they are so emotionally caught up with it.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,613,681 times
Most liberals I know lean technocratic, and base their policy opinions on science and reason. I often get flustered when talking to Republicans, because they are so irrational and nonsensical that it can be very annoying. When you carefully prove to someone conclusively that their opinion is dumb, and they just stare blankly and repeat "supply and demand poor people are dumb" over and over, it just makes one sad to be human.

Edit: To clarify, liberals don't get emotional because they argue from emotion. They get emotional because conservatives make them weep for humanity.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,022,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The social media world tends to be more liberal and liberals can afford to be more selective in choosing online friends. Conservatives don't have as many online friends and can't be as picky.
Yeah right .... I'd like to know where that data comes from.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Most liberals I know lean technocratic, and base their policy opinions on science and reason.
I don't find that to be true at all. Nearly all the liberals I know have degrees in the liberal arts, not any of the STEM areas.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM

29,628 posts, read 16,614,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Based upon my observations, I find that many die-hard liberals have an odd emotional attachment to their opinions. It's almost dogmatic, like a religion in a bizarre way. They, both ironically and hypocritically, believe with all their hearts that claiming the title of "liberal" makes them so enlightened and open-minded, that only their viewpoint is the "right" one, is the "progressive" one, and that anyone who has another opinion than their own is automatically un-enlightened, closed-minded, backwards, and bigoted.

I believe there are good, and bad, people of all political viewpoints. I am good friends with many liberals, conservatives, and libertarians (I myself identify as a conservative with a libertarian mindset). I get along great with all of them, however whenever it comes to a political discussion, which is done in a casual and respectful manner, it's always my liberal friends who get their feelings hurt. They're always the one's who resort to hyperbole of some sort and get angry and upset. This does not happen among my friends with other views upon hearing a different opinion, they just argue against the argument and will still have a beer with you afterward. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but I believe if you ask enough people you'll notice a common trend among liberals.

Partly I think it's because what is called modern-day "liberalism" is so much of a fantasy that it's followers don't want to admit it. For example just the other night I was with some friends and one of them whose very liberal attempted to argue that we need no borders, because Belgium and Holland have no borders between them. After we explained to her that she was comparing apples and oranges, she got upset and called us racists and claimed that we stole the land from the Mexicans and we have no right to be here. It's like reading Harry Potter and trying to apply it to the real world, it's not realistic, but they just can't grasp that because they are so emotionally caught up with it.
Your group of friends may very well be as you claimed, but on this forum, its the conservatives who claim that if you disagree with them, then you are dumb(un-enlightened)

Heck, you contradicted your own argument by claiming liberalism is a fantasy.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Then the money wouldn't have been spent. So why was it?
It wasnt, thats just my point, the Recovery web site is still up and running and it says all the money wasnt given out.

Recovery.gov - Tracking the Money

funds rewarded - funds received = not all money allocated.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I don't find that to be true at all. Nearly all the liberals I know have degrees in the liberal arts, not any of the STEM areas.
Liberal arts degree can be an economics degree.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It wasnt, thats just my point, the Recovery web site is still up and running and it says all the money wasnt given out.
Most of it was spent, with insufficient results. Even Obama admitted it.

Obama: Shovel Ready jobs not shovel ready - YouTube

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Most of it was spent, with insufficient results. Even Obama admitted it.

Obama: Shovel Ready jobs not shovel ready - YouTube
1. Thats not what He said in that video.

2. You already posted that video, why are you doing so again ?

3. Of the money that was spent. 291 billion of it was tax cuts.

264 billion of it was for entitlments (unemployment insurance benefits, medicaid/care payments,

so try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies