Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 07:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
Oh look, a conservative admitting his or her political agenda intending to keep the poor poor and the rich rich.
Sounds like you just described the Dems.......don't you find it strange the left wants poor people and they have no advice or help of getting ahead. All they offer is welfare, how does one get ahead living on welfare? The only ones getting ahead are those in charge, welfare is the enemy of a person who wants a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sounds like you just described the Dems.......don't you find it strange the left wants poor people and they have no advice or help of getting ahead. All they offer is welfare, how does one get ahead living on welfare? The only ones getting ahead are those in charge, welfare is the enemy of a person who wants a better life.
Lose your job, can't afford food for your kids or to pay your rent or heating bill. Obviously the best thing to do is to refuse welfare in this scenario, and do... ???

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,570 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The poster I responded to said he/she had " never, ever, heard a liberal trying to take away the rights of christians" There were no caveats about public businesses, zoning, or anything else. I am even personally ok with the ban on prayer at gov't meetings, although this always seemed like a triviality to me. I've been to GOP meetings where there were introductory prayers and did not suffer an aneurism or heart attack even though I'm an atheist.

BTW I just noticed this thread on the main page:
Christian Ministers threatened with fines and jail time for refusing to marry same-sex couples

The poster said he/she had never, ever heard of it, and now he/she has.
You cant take away a right that someone never had.
You do not have a right to kill someone, there for no one can ever take away that right, so no, you didnt prove your point since none of these are actual rights.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What a crock! I have no love for the republican party or what passes for it today, but racism isn't exclusive to their party. I see it on both sides. If you take your partisan blinders off you'd see it too.
You know as well as I do that racists and homophobes gravitate to the Republican party.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:03 PM

OMG I can..... not.... take it.

I will address these one at a time.

1) That is a business, and businesses are NOT allowed to discriminate. A gay couple operating a bakery could be charged the exact same way these people were if they refused to serve cakes to christians or muslims or jews.

2) That is a CHURCH! You cannot just open up a church on your damn street. How would you feel if on Friday and Saturday nights your next door neighbor just turned their house into a gay bar? You can't disrupt your neighborhood in this way.

3) You cannot force people who are not Christian to join in your prayer. That is what these government councils were doing. If people want to pray before council then they should hold a private ceremony prior to the council meeting.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Basically liberals are in two camps; the elite and others. More and more the elite have finically separate themselves .But then its also the reason liberal politics is failing all around the world where adopted long ago.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You know as well as I do that racists and homophobes gravitate to the Republican party.
The largest racial/ethnic group that is homophobic is the black population. Are you saying they are mostly Republicans?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110603880.html
Quote:
Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage

Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Nate Silver makes this counterpoint:

Prop 8 Myths | FiveThirtyEight

Quote:
At the end of the day, Prop 8’s passage was more a generational matter than a racial one. If nobody over the age of 65 had voted, Prop 8 would have failed by a point or two. It appears that the generational splits may be larger within minority communities than among whites, although the data on this is sketchy.
In other words, the difference has more to do with age than race. He doesn't say so, but I think education is also likely to be a large factor (more educated = more likely to vote against Prop 8).

But the real point is that the GOP caters to homophobes and the Democrats do not, not that some portion of voters in each party is homophobic.

Edit: Also that was six years ago.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
I am a conservative Republican but I was raised in an conservative Democrat family. I was always raised to respect other people and their opinions and be kind. And that's exactly how I behave today in real life and on facebook. I very rarely engage in political arguments outside of C-D. I only respond when someone says something so off the wall that I feel a response is warranted to correct. In my experience, liberal Democrats have been intolerant, pushy, and aggressive in their behavior and beliefs. There is only one person on my facebook that has political rants and that's a friend of mine who is a libertarian Democrat. He's a really good guy and usually nice but for some reason he feels it's okay to post rude and inflammatory remarks about conservatives and Republicans with no regard to the fact that he has many family and friends that are, including me and our feelings. I don't understand having such a careless attitude but there's not much I can do about it unless I want to risk our friendship and I don't. I unfollowed his post for now.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The largest racial/ethnic group that is homophobic is the black population. Are you saying they are mostly Republicans?

Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban
That was many years ago, and the African American community's opinion on gay marriage is coming more in line with the American norm today.

Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry

The only group to be opposed to gay marriage left in America are Republicans, a mostly white and older group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies