Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Thank you Lily. I have been with the same man since I was 19, we just had our 35 in July, so are in our 36th year together, married legally since 2008. My sister tried to make it with her husband, got married because she got pregnant at 15, he was 19, stayed married had two kids only. But she tolerated abuse and neglect, tried everything to make it work. She put her self through school and got a business degree, then a job at a bank working herself up the ladder and putting money away for a rainy day. When she had $50,000 saved, she put a down payment on a manufatured home in a mobile home park and moved out. She stayed married to him legally till about 5 years ago, 45 years, but about 35 of it together. I have a wonderfully supportive family and so does my partner. Some day I hope to get both sides together for a both side family reunion. There is a lot of misunderstanding of gay people and all straights have to do is ask and we will tell, just do not judge us for what we are when you do ask. I have had a few straight friends actually ask me questions out of curiosity. Like one is the assumption that all gay men like or do anal sex. Many of us do not like it or practice it. Oddly, I have yet to see any particular gay lifestyle or a particular straight lifestyle. If one walked through my house, they would not say a gay man or two gay men live here, they would probably comment about all the books and all the stuff I collect. I do know gay men that in one moment in their house, you know they are gay, but the same with some straight men I know. Men are just more demonstrative with their sexuality.
bolded is all we can hope for. Dragon. We all have our struggles, straight, gay, woman approaching 30 hasn't married yet, lol divorced 40 something men or women, we are all the same.

Great post and good luck with everything.

Hugs. Gay men are beautiful. I've seen many of them.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, she was being rude. How about when I am told by men that they could convert me to hetero? Or I just haven't had a real man yet? Or the winner that said he would **** me straight? Is that fair to me? Is that heterosexuals shoving their sexuality down my throat? No, I realize that it is just rude people.
Interesting, my partner and I lived nextdoor to a lesbian couple. My partner worked in a naval yard and his coworkers were mostly straight men, those that came over would say the same thing about our neighbors and we would tell them that they do not want what they have. I have had straight men tell me that if I have not had sex with a woman, how do I know I do not like it or that I might like it. They then talk about a woman sexually as if it will make me get see what they see. It is really quite simple, sexual orientation is not a choice, gay, straight or bi.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Agreed ! I have no problem understanding and agree with your points.....but no one has as of yet explained to me how marching in a parade does any tangible good for the cause.

What is the connection between a Gay Price parade and legislative action to give them the right to be a legal couple with all the corollary rights and responsibilities any straight couple has ?

I'm not at all trying to be argumentative here, please understand that. I'm just trying (begging actually) to be convinced by some good logical thoughts so I'll "get it".

That being said, I should add something that I read in a previous post and have to agree with. Some of the gay pride parades do feature a few "pretty out there" participants which of course doesn't do anything but alienate some otherwise good people who are typically more open minded.

I've never attended a gay pride parade, although I've been driving through communities on the Harley a few times and did stop and observe for a bit until traffic cleared. There are definitely some interesting people, some in rather provocative attire !
Jasper, I have never been to a pride parade, not even once and I am 55. I even lived in Berkeley across from San Francisco. I have been to small town parades, but not pride parades. The only gay, or sort of gay, event I participated in was a 545 mile bike ride for AIDS charity, rode my bike with 2204 other people, gay, lesbian and straight from San Francisco to Santa Monica over seven days. But that was not really a gay event, it was a bike ride for charity. But it is the closest that I have been to a large group of gay people. The pride parades are to keep the focus on our need for acceptance, tolerance and equal rights. Same sex marriage is a separate issue related to marriage itself and couples that need the protections that full civil marriage provides us. I do not see any relationship of pride parades to same sex marriage, two different eggs. Have you seen a Mardi Gras event, geez, if I assumed that all straight people were like that all the time, well, I would think you were all into being raunchy and naked. I have not been to one of those either, by the way. Large crowds of crazy people is not my bag.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Certainly not me. I think gays holding hands are beautiful. But i have been called homophobic before and I honestly didn't even know what I did or said.
If I see two guys kiss, two women kiss or a man and woman kiss, I smile, but if it looks like they need a motel room, I announce it loud enough so that they can hear it. Personal displays of affection are fine, but when it comes to making out, GET A ROOM. Funny, I scare most gay men, they think I am straight and give me dirty looks or scared looks. Straight women love me and when they find out I am gay, they go ga ga. We can go out and people think she has a man on her arm, but there is no sexual pressure. I have had gay men treat me like I am not gay enough to a part of their circle, so I treat it like a joke and make comments about it. Not everyone fits the stereotype.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Bible is supernatural and God uses it to speak to us in various ways. You know, there are some of us who still believe in the Bible so there is nothing factual about your statement.
It's "supernatural?" Do you even know what that word means?

You believe in the Bible? Believe "in it" how? What does that mean?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
One thing about gays and lesbians.

should guys and girls in bathrooms be wary of them?

there is thus much chance for abuse by the lesbian and gay crowd.

to have precautions in place we may need to make it mandatory to not have all inclusive restrooms but instead

single room stalls.
to solve the issue

do gays like having another gay person staring at them in the bathroom?
straight men surely wont like that

same questions with lesbians
straight women also won't like that

all that feels like sexual harassment. from gays/lesbians to the straight community instead.
that's just one of the problems that need to be resolved to move forward.

so instead of connected bathrooms perhaps we should have the bathrooms
single stall instead to be fair to all.

thus everyone gets privacy instead of a pervert of any group taking advantage of the situation eg gay/lesbian/straight staring at you in the bathroom.

guys going into the ladies room always gets kicked the **** out of them and arrested what makes gays and lesbians so special they can escape that fate?

same with ladies going into the mens room they would be looked at funny but less stigma from police.

so one of the things needed to be done is bathroom privacy for all.
no gender bathrooms then.

people just need to keep it clean.
You kind of said it yourself, there are perverts in all groups. I do not like being googled at wether in a regular mens bathroom or in a bathroom in a gay establishment. I in turn do not sneak peaks, it is rude. And the solution is single stall faciltities for the privacy of all concerned as you said.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I'm not sure about that, if you find a guy that's close to your own size then you just doubled your wardrobe.
Nope, my partner and I are close to the same size, nearly the same height, but we never have shared a wardrobe in our 35 years together. Who wants to share another persons clothing, yuck.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I think when gay people say they are proud to be gay they are merely trying to convey the fact that there is nothing wrong or shameful about being gay.

I mean, why should anyone be "proud" of being an American, or being "proud" of their children or grandchildren, or "proud" of being Jewish or Irish, or "proud" of being a Green Bay Packers fan?

We see on this very thread some people calling gay folks 'perverts' and 'deviants' and 'sick' ... the answer to this name-calling is simply "nope, I am gay and I am proud of who I am."

Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
We really care how you build computers...not what you do with your dongle.
Dongle????

I never heard that one before!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Dongle????

I never heard that one before!
A dongle is a small device typically about the size of a flash drive that plugs in to a computer, it can be for security protection or as an adapter, such as one of those usb adapters used to plug a flash drive into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies