Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't see what the point is. Why do LGBT people keep insisting on shoving their sexuality in our faces? If anything this "in your face" mentality is going to lead to blowback against the LGBT community. It's annoying people who would otherwise have no objection to LGBT people. I don't feel the need to tell everyone that I am straight. I don't post about it on Facebook, Twittter, or post announcements at work.

I don't care about one's sexuality, I care about people as people. But let me tell you ... the "we're here, we're *****" routine of shoving their sexuality people's faces is getting really stale.
Do you realize your post could have been written in 1973? Guess what - things aren't going to change just because they upset your delicate sense of what is acceptable behavior.

Let me finish part of your quote, though: Get used to it.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
If someone said being white or straight was a gift from God, people would want them fired.
I agree... I find the statement obnoxious .... nothing to do with being anti-gay... it's just a silly thing to say... but whatever...

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-30-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because you are ASSUMED to be straight. If anybody is "shoving" their sexuality, it's heterosexuals. I've had it "shoved" in my face from day one. When you come to work and say you have a wife and kids, or mention what your kids are up to, or when a pregnant woman comes to work, those are all blatant displays of heterosexuality!
Come off it. That's not shoving your sexuality in someone's face. That's just talking about your life.

There's a difference between casually mentioning to your coworkers that you and your boyfriend saw a movie last night or whatever and marching in the streets in a gay pride parade. One is shoving your sexuality at someone, and the other is not. Can you understand the difference?
Quote:
The only reason gay Americans have the right to marry and aren't treated like punching bags any more (for the most part) is because gay Americans stood up for themselves came out!! The more heterosexuals know gay people, the more they understand that we're not a bunch of mentally ill, disease-ridden, filthy predators.
Right. Instead of coming across as mentally ill filthy predators you're going to come off as whiny self absorbed prima donas.

Tip for you: if you want to be treated as a normal person then act like a normal person. There's nothing wrong with being gay. But there is something wrong with having your identity and self worth wrapped around who you find attractive. It has nothing to do with being gay, it has to do with an abnormally high fascination with your sexual orientation. Straight people who are hyper-aware of their sexuality are seen as strange too.
Quote:
Why do you think gay people are mostly accepted today? Because most people KNOW someone who is gay! If we all pretended to be single people with no lives, trust me. We'd still be the punching bags we were in the past.
It may be shocking to you but there actually is a normal middle ground between pretending to be someone else and making a media announcement about who you want to have sex with.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Let me state this first, so these angry idiots don't misunderstand me:
I don't have any problem with gay people and I think they should be integrated into the society with the same rights as everyone else.

But all we ever get from the gay community are rants about how they are just like everyone else and how their sexuality is none of other people's business.
Great. It doesn't matter.

So let's stop this constant media storm every time someone comes out as gay. It's not a big deal. It's none of our business. Who gives a sh*t what this man does behind closed doors?

You can't say this stuff is personal and doesn't matter to anyone else, and at the same time make a huge spectacle of someone coming out and throwing gigantic cyper "patting yourselves on the back" parties.
false argument on your part.

I have never heard anyone for gay rights say it is no one's business what their sexuality is unless it is in the context of drumroll please................ THEIR JOBS.

Your sexuality is none of your bosses business and the reason that is a central issue is because in the "At-will" states, you can be fired for any reason, gay being one of them.

now for the bigger argument. What Cook is saying is that people shouldnt have to hide whether or not they are gay.

They should be able to post a picture of them and their spouse on their facebook page or be able to use actual pronouns when describing them instead of neutral words.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
false argument on your part.

I have never heard anyone for gay rights say it is no one's business what their sexuality is unless it is in the context of drumroll please................ THEIR JOBS.

Your sexuality is none of your bosses business and the reason that is a central issue is because in the "At-will" states, you can be fired for any reason, gay being one of them.

now for the bigger argument. What Cook is saying is that people shouldnt have to hide whether or not they are gay.

They should be able to post a picture of them and their spouse on their facebook page or be able to use actual pronouns when describing them instead of neutral words.
Why do Gay People put their dirty laundry out? I really did not want to hear about his Life Style and to somehow equate this to God and the Bible in the end .

The Gay Life will never be approved by the Christian and even the Muslim Communities. It does not make it right before God , no matter how many times he proclaims his new waking.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Why do Gay People put their dirty laundry out? I really did not want to hear about his Life Style and to somehow equate this to God and the Bible in the end .

The Gay Life will never be approved by the Christian and even the Muslim Communities. It does not make it right before God , no matter how many times he proclaims his new waking.
You do know that the bible is made up by men and god had nothing to do with it Please stop blaming your prejudice on god....just own up to it. You must believe in the old testament.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do know that the bible is made up by men and god had nothing to do with it Please stop blaming your prejudice on god....just own up to it. You must believe in the old testament.
I have no prejudice, it still a sin and the bible was written by God thru men. Luke, Mathew, Peter, just to name a few. The word of God reads its a immoral life style. You may want to attend a Bible Based Church to get your facts straight!

I still do care to here about Cooks Dirty Laundry. Very distasteful.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I have no prejudice, it still a sin and the bible was written by God thru men. Luke, Mathew, Peter, just to name a few. The word of God reads its a immoral life style. You may want to attend a Bible Based Church to get your facts straight!

I still do care to here about Cooks Dirty Laundry. Very distasteful.
The bible was written by men. God had nothing to do with it. I'm catholic and don't need to attend any bible classes. My catholic upbringing taught me to believe god loved everyone. It seems people are the ones who are the judges. Leave it to god though. You are no one to judge.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts? Seems sinister to me. That's all I'll say on the subject. Satan works in mysterious ways, just like the lord.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The bible was written by men. God had nothing to do with it. I'm catholic and don't need to attend any bible classes. My catholic upbringing taught me to believe god loved everyone. It seems people are the ones who are the judges. Leave it to god though. You are no one to judge.
This is true. But it also says we as Christians do not accept a fallen life style. Yes of course we treat people with grace. There is No judging this man we just do not approve of his life style.
To link to the teaching of Jesus is a reach.

You missing the point , Bible was written thru God by men. Meaning the Holy Spirit was working in these men.

Would you approve of a Ordained Pastor Marrying 2 Men? Changing the Bible to fit World perceptions is a dangerous thing, if you are a Believer.

Of course all of us will be Judged of our sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies