Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Old news, especially in the Tech Industry...probably one of the worst "secrets" out there in our industry.
Midterm election

Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You serve a fictional character.
LOL!!! Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Well, I tend to agree with this. Much like nationalism/patriotism... it's pretty idiotic. 'I'm so glad other people had I sex and I was made here and born here and I love it even though I had nothing to do with it.'

That said, homosexuals have been discriminated against on the basis of irrational belief for centuries. Being open and 'proud' of it is fine by me because I don't really think it about pride in their sexuality but more their ability to be open about it. And given the backwards world they were born into, that's a sign of confidence which is something individuals build overtime; and one should be proud of their confidence.
The bold is different from what he said, but I can see him being proud of an action, 'He publically came out' as the CEO of a large company.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
My thought is that is absolutely absurd to be proud of being gay. It's like being proud to be right handed or proud to have curly hair or brown eyes.

Be proud of your accomplishments. Don't be proud of finding Joe more sexually attractive than Jane. That's a ridiculous thing to be proud of. There are a lot of things to be proud of, but your genetic makeup isn't one of them.

I will not think less of a person for being gay, but I sure will think less of a person for being proud to be gay.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
My thought is that is absolutely absurd to be proud of being gay. It's like being proud to be right handed or proud to have curly hair or brown eyes.

Be proud of your accomplishments. Don't be proud of finding Joe more sexually attractive than Jane. That's a ridiculous thing to be proud of. There are a lot of things to be proud of, but your genetic makeup isn't one of them.

I will not think less of a person for being gay, but I sure will think less of a person for being proud to be gay.
Very valid point. I am proud to be a Muslim or Christian is kind of disturbing too.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,951 times
I thought those apple products were on the gay side....Glad I bought Samsung.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The bold is different from what he said, but I can see him being proud of an action, 'He publically came out' as the CEO of a large company.
I'm just reading in to is. I assume any sense of pride he has comes from his being able to face possibly criticism and even hatred not his homosexuality.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Everyone knew he was gay, this is not really news.
Everything these CEO does is for publicity.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I don't see it that way.
It must be really tough to grow up as a gay male in this society, even today.
If all things were equal and gay people were treated equally than you'd have a point. They are not though so Tim is outing himself to support gay people, give them hope that they can succeed and show them that they don't have to hide who they are.

Other than the "gift from god" thing, it's a nice message.
I can see where the gift from god thing IS shoving religion down people's throats because there is no stigma to believing in god.
What if you are gay and atheist?

Exactly, he's telling other LGBT people they can succeed in life...even though we face more discrimination than straight poeple do.
Although I didn't know he hadn't come out...it was pretty common knowledge that he was the first gay man to become CEO of major Fortune 500 company

Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
"Thou shalt not be gay without making a public annoucement about it and pronouncing thyself 'proud' of it."

Am I supposed to be proud of my blue eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies