Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times

Advertisements

I just wonder why he's just coming out of the closet now if he's so proud. IDK one way or the other but it seems odd for him to have hidden this. It's not like being gay is a big deal, especially in the Bay Area .

Old 10-30-2014, 11:37 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
anytime a statement starts with "let me be clear" the person saying it doesnt have complete confidence in what they are saying or is flat out lying.

there is no need for every gay person to make announcements. maybe just keep it simple and wear an "im gay" t-shirt

Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I'm just happy he acknowledged God. Alot of people in the tech industry don't speak about their spiritual beliefs often so this was a refreshing change.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
Yeah, right. A "gift" from God, who calls homosexuality an "abomination?"

Can someone really be "proud" of being a sexual deviate? A pervert?

Let the flack fly! You won't change my view. Call me names, marginalize me, ridicule me. It won't change my view, and I don't give a damn what you think of God or Christianity. I know for whom I serve.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Gay? God?

In the same sentence?

It contradicts itself.
Exactly my thoughts.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm proud to be straight. When is my press conference?
Banishment for you!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't see what the point is. Why do LGBT people keep insisting on shoving their sexuality in our faces? If anything this "in your face" mentality is going to lead to blowback against the LGBT community. It's annoying people who would otherwise have no objection to LGBT people. I don't feel the need to tell everyone that I am straight. I don't post about it on Facebook, Twittter, or post announcements at work.

I don't care about one's sexuality, I care about people as people. But let me tell you ... the "we're here, we're *****" routine of shoving their sexuality people's faces is getting really stale.
I don't really think that's a fair example of shoving ones sexuality in the face of others. That's just saying 'I'm gay.' Shoving it everyone's face would be to say it all the time to everyone he can and be super aggressive about it.

I think his reason for doing this was made incredibly clear. He's a CEO of one of the most recognizable American corporations. And he's gay. That's a pretty big deal. I'm sure there are other gay CEOs, but not of any company with the same power as Apple.

And of course you don't come out as straight. There aren't massive groups of people and politicians who are out to ruin you. There are for gays. Honestly, people as a whole wouldn't give a crap about who's gay and who's not if there wasn't a conservative fight against them. When they die off (most of them are old enough to be on their way out, so that's good) and assuming they're kids are smart enough to think on their own or at least mind their own business, this whole 'coming out' thing will be far less important.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Why are you proud to be gay? That just seems odd to me. Like saying you´re proud to be born a man or a woman....I can understand glad but proud? You did nothing to get that.

A gift from God, well I feel the same way about not being gay....so I guess I can understand him being glad he is.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I phone has always been gay.
Are you saying that Steve Jobs was gay?

How about Jonathan Ive, the actual designer of the I-Pone?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I have news for you. There are gay people who are Christians. One of my pals from high school is one.
LOL!!! They may say they are Christians. It is not possible to be Christian, and continue in a sin. Do we all sin? Yes. But to continue in a sin, knowingly and unapologetically, and as a habit of your life, shows lack of commitment. Jesus told the prostitute to "go, and sin no more."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies