Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Body Cameras for the Cops?
Yes 147 91.88%
No 13 8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:56 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Okay, link or statistics that prove your point please?

I'm not going to do your research for you. There are plenty of threads on CD along with numerous You Tube videos. Go figure it out for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:56 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most police, and most people are good and not out to harm anyone. I have had encounters with good police, bad police, and ******* police officers. I have had encounters with the same of regular citizens on the street.

As I said earlier in the thread, police officers having body cameras on is fine with me. It protects them against false witness by the citizen, and bystanders. It also protects the citizen against abuse by police.

Rodney King, another example. We saw the last 5 minutes of the altercation. The police said there was much more to it. If they had body cameras on, we would know the whole story. No public outrage, here you go, here is the evidence to back up the officers story.

Now, lets say that guy who was shot by a cop for trying to get his ID the other day wasn't on camera. Would he now be in jail? Probably, but guess what, the camera told the story, the cop shot him for no good damned reason.

Its not big government to require you to be monitored at work. Hell my work vehicle has a tracker with sound on it. If the company wanted to know, they could look and hear everything I said while driving. Its a term of my employment. Its not big government or infringing on my individual freedom.
Indeed and on the same account the video recording would protect the citizen AND protect the police. Videos have no agenda, they have no bias. They are perfectly objective in every way. Objective evidence is open and shut and that's why I'd be 100% for this.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Most police, and most people are good and not out to harm anyone. I have had encounters with good police, bad police, and ******* police officers. I have had encounters with the same of regular citizens on the street.

As I said earlier in the thread, police officers having body cameras on is fine with me. It protects them against false witness by the citizen, and bystanders. It also protects the citizen against abuse by police.

Rodney King, another example. We saw the last 5 minutes of the altercation. The police said there was much more to it. If they had body cameras on, we would know the whole story. No public outrage, here you go, here is the evidence to back up the officers story.

Now, lets say that guy who was shot by a cop for trying to get his ID the other day wasn't on camera. Would he now be in jail? Probably, but guess what, the camera told the story, the cop shot him for no good damned reason.

Its not big government to require you to be monitored at work. Hell my work vehicle has a tracker with sound on it. If the company wanted to know, they could look and hear everything I said while driving. Its a term of my employment. Its not big government or infringing on my individual freedom.

Exactly.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Perhaps cops should start acting more ethical. Instead of the good ones covering for the bad ones, perhaps they should do a better job of policing their own. Sorry, but since the Patriot Act, and fighting this trumped up drug war it has given cops carte blanche to act like pricks, presuming guilty before innocent (when it should be the other way around) and shaking down citizens trying to go about their day over dumb s***, because they can! Remember, the ole' "well if you're not doing nothing wrong, then you've got nothing to hide?" Well, in that case, what's good for the goose..... Put cameras on EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM!
Quote:
No knock raids ring a bell? Cops get the wrong house, and end up shooting the wrong person, or their pet? Stop and frisk? How about stopping someone for a simple traffic violation, where they've run that person's license, there are no priors, or convictions, and it turns into them asking to search the car? For what? Land of the free you say? We haven't been the land of the free for a long time now!
Quote:
I'd rather civilians have the means to protect themselves, because when seconds count, the cops are minutes away. Furthermore, they are under no obligation to respond anyway. But I sure as hell would rather them focus on real criminals than harrassing motorists at traffic stop when they know damn well there are no priors on their record other than because they can! It's this mentality of trading our liberties for more security that is dangerous to this country. Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!
Quote:
More and more... cops have become revenue generators. The fact that a cop can lie to you and try and trick you, only reinforces that.
Quote:
So your concern is the privacy rights of the cops, but not that of citizens? Like I said, you take the oath, you're held to a higher standard. Weed out the bad ones instead of hiding behind the "blue code." Stop shaking down innocent motorists over a simple traffic stop, and end the drug war that is giving cops carte blanche to do this stuff, and perhaps the general public's growing distrust of cops will wane.
All these bad things that some cops do so all cops must wear a body camera!

Quote:
Really? I can tell you that as a civillian I've never killed, raped, or robbed anyone. Fist fights? Sure. In self-defense. Smoke weed? Sure. From time to time, and in the privacy of my own home. How as a citizen am I dangerous? You're assuming everyone is guilty until proven innocent. That is a dangerous mindset, and not what the principles of this country was founded on.
I was obviously not serious about requiring civilians to wear cameras, it was a mockery of what you guys are doing. requiring cops to wear cameras because a couple bad one.

i suggest civilians to wear body cameras because they are more dangerous but you don't want to wear a camera because you are not a bad person.... i'm sure many cops don't want to wear cameras because they aren't bad people either.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Its big government to require you to WEAR A CAMERA ON YOUR BODY!! the company, police department or government doesn't OWN YOU... they have no right to make YOU wear a camera.

We are human beings and we are American citizens, we are not owned by anybody and don't deserve to wear body cameras.

A police car, company car is not the same because it is there car.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:

I was obviously not serious about requiring civilians to wear cameras, it was a mockery of what you guys are doing. requiring cops to wear cameras because a couple bad one.

i suggest civilians to wear body cameras because they are more dangerous but you don't want to wear a camera because you are not a bad person.... i'm sure many cops don't want to wear cameras because they aren't bad people either.
Because I was born a civilian. No police officer was born a police officer. Its a job they choose to do. As such, just like cameras in the squad car, if the local community says "you have to have this in your car" guess what, you can quit, and you don't have to worry about it. Or, you can have it in the car and not have a problem.

Police officers don't own their badge, so put the camera on it. Have it rolling all the time.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Its big government to require you to WEAR A CAMERA ON YOUR BODY!! the company, police department or government doesn't OWN YOU... they have no right to make YOU wear a camera.

We are human beings and we are American citizens, we are not owned by anybody and don't deserve to wear body cameras.

A police car, company car is not the same because it is there car.
Its not on your body, its on your uniform, which you have to use as part of your duty as an officer.

When you are at work, you're a public employee. Employees have to do all kinds of things that they may not want to do, but as a term of the employment, you have to do them anyway.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Because I was born a civilian. No police officer was born a police officer. Its a job they choose to do. As such, just like cameras in the squad car, if the local community says "you have to have this in your car" guess what, you can quit, and you don't have to worry about it. Or, you can have it in the car and not have a problem.

Police officers don't own their badge, so put the camera on it. Have it rolling all the time.
We are not cars, we are not objects owned by a company... we are human beings, we are Americans with constitutional rights and we don't deserve to wear body cameras like we are a company owned police car.

Stop comparing humans to cars.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:09 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:

You're falsely equating a civilian who is not working with a civilian who is not only on the job, but represents an authority. If the police officer is a good person then he will have nothing to be concerned about, people in all sorts of professions are monitored at their jobs. Truck drivers are monitored, bus drivers are monitored, I am monitored at the call center I work in etc.

Video evidence against the big bad civilians would only stand to help the police officers, unless of course you're a corrupt cop in which case it would be the other way around.

As said before, video is objective and has no bias towards either party.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Its not on your body, its on your uniform, which you have to use as part of your duty as an officer.

When you are at work, you're a public employee. Employees have to do all kinds of things that they may not want to do, but as a term of the employment, you have to do them anyway.
Don't try to sugar coat it, of course its on your uniform... but the uniform is on your body and the thought of a human being being required to wear a camera like we are a company owned vehicle is pretty messed up in my opinion, that is what i am trying to get across here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies