Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times

Advertisements

So did Obama end America as we know it? I missed the speech, had to go into work and didn't get to hear what was said, but I can only assume there are now millions of newly legal immigrants destroying the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,902,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Watching the Latino news and their pundits going over his speech. According to the dude spewing right now, he didn't go far enough. Oh, and this was late in coming, along with basically the USA had a moral obligation to do this and more. One lady is having a fit because it doesn't include "full benefits" and she thinks having to pay the taxes is unfair because it's like charging them to be with their own families. Just thought you'd all enjoy being informed of those things too.
The entitlement mentality is just astounding.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The entitlement mentality is just astounding.
It's not just the Latinos that have the entitlement mentality. The number of illegal immigrants would diminish substantially if we put the able-bodied Americans to work who are currently collecting.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:17 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,411,566 times
So, I just got around to watching it, and it turns out Obama's plan is extremely tame and sounds very reasonable, at least on video. None of the blanket amnesty or other things that the right wing media was hyping up.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:39 AM

35,778 posts, read 21,152,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
anyone who would support obama is not an American
what kinda of remark is that? Forcing only one way of thinking? now that is gestapo- agree or not- He is the prez, and what he is doing has been discussed 10000 times before congress, but nobody wants you all to get mad at them, so they don't move. maybe getting people HOT as he has, will cause the train to take off the station

Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 AM

35,778 posts, read 21,152,282 times
I pose the question again-which no-one on this thread has answered-
why do we have illegal migration?- JOBS
Who is hiring them? WHO HIRES ILLEGALS- that is 90% of your problem

why do drugs come across the border?

who's smoking the s----??

Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I pose the question again-which no-one on this thread has answered-
why do we have illegal migration?- JOBS
Who is hiring them? WHO HIRES ILLEGALS- that is 90% of your problem

why do drugs come across the border?

who's smoking the s----??
Jobs are only part of the story ... toss in better quality of life, schools, government handouts, etc.

But you are right ... if employers were not hiring illegals, they would not show up in droves. American citizens should be doing the work of illegals but it is far more profitable for them to sit at home on the dole.

The society of entitlement ...

Old 11-21-2014, 05:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
I am not sure why he did it, but if it was for pandering for votes as some suggest, then why did he do it AFTER the elections? Or why didn't he do it before 2016 elections? As for legality, I'd say it is as legal as when Reagan, Bush and Clinton did the same. No green cards, no citizenship, no welfare and no healthcare. The whole thing does nothing but delay deportation. It's a mild measure.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 AM

157 posts, read 137,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not initially for those covered by this EO but if the bill that Obama supports is passed, they would be. There would not, as part of that bill, any means test to determine if these immigrants would be a net positive for this country or not.
I never understood the significance of the illegal not qualifying fr benefits anyhow. Their American-born kids do! So they get the benefits through their kids.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:13 AM

157 posts, read 137,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Bob---you can not compare immigration from over 100 years ago to immigration today. Back then we were a largely agrarian and industrial society. Like the immigrants who arrived here, many Americans were illiterate.

The immigrants who came back then had all the necessary skills to survive and to find work. Also, there was no welfare then. Everybody knew it was up to them to either sink or swim.

Fast forward to today---this country does not need millions of functionally illiterate illegal aliens---many of who can't even count to ten.
That's a huge concern of mine. We are already as a nation struggling with a huge underclass. How does adding millions more poor and illiterate impact this problem? And from everything I've read, children of illegals as a group aren't doing that well (high OOW rate, drop out, gang involvement). After all, there's a reason countries have immigration laws in place. One is to prevent overcrowding of schools and to facilitate integration of the newcomers. Massive illegal immigration throws that all off and has a negative effect in the illegals themselves in the end. I wonder why some folks don't seem to think of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies