Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
where does the criminal come from then? this is in essence saying that a black person is going to be a criminal because he is black. still no one has shown anything about how a criminal becomes a criminal.

does a guy just wake up one day and say "huh.... i think i'm going to kill someone today."????

if my leftist drivel is so nonsensical, then surely someone could come up with an easy answer to this.
I firmly believe they are born this way, predisposed to commiting crime. Like my brother. Has ways out but chooses the bad path. I think in some it builds to where the kill. Like Dahmer, started with animals, then people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
Quote:
keeping people that oppose death penalty from a jury isn't a very fair way to decide death penalty, that's just breeding a pool of people that have no objection with doing the court's bidding.

i was unaware of this, i think i'll look deeper into it.

but making the choice to kill someone has a lot of emotion involved, no one can deny that. Lawyers blend in a bunch of emotion to their speeches and show how bad the crime was. It still stands that rational decisions cannot be made by people in an emotional state.
no actually its just called being impartial, not having any emotion attached to the case, because if it is a state where the death penalty can be executed, and the crime can be imposed with it, the jurors need to be able to elect it w/out guilt or emotion, so thats why they are asked, if they cant do it, they just find someone who can...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn245 View Post
I think I understand where your heart is at, unfortunately, by the time a person becomes this corrupted, he is usually beyond psychological repair, it is more of a case for a good brain surgeon than a social worker...a jury has the responsibility to the victim and the state to prevent further crime, also, crimes against children usually are pretty cut and dry, and thats as it should be in my opinion...thank goodness, however sentencing isnt... if you should ever have to pass sentence on a person who has commited a crime against one, I hope youll remember that and not let your heart rule your head.
what i am saying is that something needs to be done before people are this corrupted; like the scared straight program. if not it's just a chain of reaction after reaction after reaction.

i have never been or a jury for a sentence. but my brother was murdered in his own home, in front of his children by the man that was sleeping with his wife. this was 2 weeks before Christmas of 05, the same guy put his feet under my table on thanksgiving before that.

If i spend the rest of my life hating that man, or wishing he was dead, it will be the ruin of me. and it will do no good for anyone... if something was done before hand, i may still have a brother, and i also may have a different outlook on the death penalty that i used to.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn245 View Post
no actually its just called being impartial, not having any emotion attached to the case, because if it is a state where the death penalty can be executed, and the crime can be imposed with it, the jurors need to be able to elect it w/out guilt or emotion, so thats why they are asked, if they cant do it, they just find someone who can...
so basically the state looks for people with no problem sending someone to execution. but the people that do send the criminal to execution still experience emotion, the emotion that the lawyer feeds them about the victim.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I am a strong supporter of the Death Penalty.

Some years ago, I was "invited" to be a witness at an execution. After witnessing an execution, I have not changed my mind
Tell us how and why you had an invitation. Are you with the media? Why would you ever say yes to such an aweful thing?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
keeping people that oppose death penalty from a jury isn't a very fair way to decide death penalty, that's just breeding a pool of people that have no objection with doing the court's bidding.

i was unaware of this, i think i'll look deeper into it.
It is not the courts bidding - it is following the law.

If the laws of the state permit the death penalty, during voir dire,the question will be, not might be, WILL BE asked, inasmuch as the law provides that if this defendant is convicted of the crimes they are charged with, the death penalty may be a potential penalty imposed, would you be able to impose such penalty?

I guarantee you that question is asked -

If you say you could not, for whatever reason impose the death penalty, you will be immediately dismissed as a juror for cause

Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I firmly believe they are born this way, predisposed to commiting crime. Like my brother. Has ways out but chooses the bad path. I think in some it builds to where the kill. Like Dahmer, started with animals, then people.
so every single criminal is born that way? then why are minorities so overrepresented in prison? every single one of them was born a criminal and nothing could have changed that?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Tell us how and why you had an invitation. Are you with the media? Why would you ever say yes to such an aweful thing?
No, I am not a member of the media.

I was / am a friend of the victims family. The family is allowed to attend the execution and/or have a representative of the family attend.

I said "yes" in order to witness the death of someone who did not belong in society in any capacity. And, to help the family with closure.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
I know in the case here in Washington where two people gunned down 6 people in a family two of which were little kids, I hope they fry for it!!!!! I dont believe in the death penalty for all, but for this, you bet.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
so basically the state looks for people with no problem sending someone to execution. but the people that do send the criminal to execution still experience emotion, the emotion that the lawyer feeds them about the victim.
Nope - the State is looking for those who would be willing to enforce the law during any penalty phase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies