Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM

406 posts, read 283,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Kinda like being in the military in the early 70s as I was?
We had everybody included in these discussions. Sheriffs Department, City Police, USMC, U.S. Army and I even noticed a Korea Navy Veteran who saw the mix and walked over to join and see what was going on. Everybody is pissed and rightfully so. I made everybody laugh when I said I was gonna make a monkey fist out of a cue-ball and towel like Seagal did in Out For Justice and start "knockin'" some melons.

The crowd roared!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
I'm 23 and i have never seen a country that's in such terrible shape. I wish people would second guess their selves for a minute and acknowledge that without the truth we will continue to fall. I'm broken hearted. Why do we have to fight the opinions of others so much? Why can't we just get our whole media on board?
You can't think of ONE country that's in worse shape than the US?

I'll help; there's this little country, not much bigger than Virginia if I had to guess, that is attached to South Korea. Just north of it actually. Between China and South Korea. Yeah... it's WAY worse off.

Don't get me wrong, America is in bad shape and our media is a joke, but don't say things like 'we are the worst country on EARTH.' I reject any idea that we're the best, but we are not that bad off compared to a lot of places.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
I'm 23 and i have never seen a country that's in such terrible shape. I wish people would second guess their selves for a minute and acknowledge that without the truth we will continue to fall. I'm broken hearted. Why do we have to fight the opinions of others so much? Why can't we just get our whole media on board?
This is kind of vague.

I do agree that people aren't really interested in the truth. Humans don't want to hear anything contrary to what they believe because their brains are wired for short term comfort and gratification. To hear something contrary to what one believes is uncomfortable and people fight discomfort tooth and nail. The truth of what is happening in the USA is too painful for people, so, to make themselves feel better, they put on the blinders and argue with each other on matters that do not get to the heart of our problems.

Oh, and we can't get our media "on board" because the mainstream media, like our government, is utterly and completely corrupt and useless. It's that way by design....has been for a long time, but now it's become blatantly obvious to more people. The media is there to control your perception of reality to that you can be manipulated into supporting the agenda of a small global elite.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
I'm wondering where all the biscuits went.

Have you seen them?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Default America isn't the greatest country in the world...

Quote:
In reality media would be sued and made to shut down if they report the truth, so the truth gets cherry picked...

The Newsroom Opening Monologue (Clean Edit) - YouTube

Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
- Julius Caesar, Gallic War, III:18.
. . .

Why? Because it is not in our nature to see things for what they are. We prefer to believe in fanciful notions that are untrue. Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia 1431 - 1501) once said that men are so simple they will believe anything. The Borgia Pope, while the spiritual leader of the Church, was, if anything, a homme du monde; and, for all his faults, a keen observer of human nature, noting that it is a defect in the human character that we would rather listen to lies than believe the truth we can see with our own eyes. Even when forced to confront the facts, we deny them and make up excuses.

In The Prince (modeled after Pope Alexander’s son, Cesare Borgia), Niccolo Machiavelli wrote about the state and its rule as it is rather than as it should be, for which, after five centuries of experience, he continues to be roundly condemned. It is a social preference for what we choose to believe, though false, over what is in fact true. Great Caesar was right when he wrote: "Men willingly believe what they wish to be true."

Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
???

What truth?
Whatever the OP thinks.
As in, not what other people think.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Most of the time the truth is not dramatic enough for television and people don't want the actual truth, they want some candy coated fairytale that makes them happy little snowflakes.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
The truth, always cuts deeper than the lies.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
I'm pretty sure that the OP is saying that he wants every news outlet to be like Fox or Infowars.

Historically, having one perspective in control of the entire media has never been a good thing. But I don't really expect the majority of people on this board to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies