Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON -- As gas prices nationwide continue to plummet, advocates for enhanced federal investment in transportation are sensing a rare political opening.

A hike in the federal gas tax -- so these advocates argue -- would have a smaller psychological impact at a time like this, when the cost of filling up is low. Congress should therefore raise the tax, for what would be the first time since 1993, in order to replenish the federal highway trust fund, which is set to run out of money around the end of May.

Meet The One House Republican Willing To Call For A Gas Tax Hike
yes, and prices will never stay down, they will go up again, this always happens....they just implemented gas tax hikes in several states, b/c they're spending our money like it's water. When is this going to stop....do they think we're stupid....every time gas prices go up, food prices go up, and yet, when gas prices go down, food prices never come down?? It is pathetic what the people in this country put up with, which isn'[t about left or right, but about common sense, and principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
The gas tax is regressive, i.e. the poorer you are, the higher percentage you pay. Unsurprisingly, liberals are all in favor of that.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The gas tax is regressive, i.e. the poorer you are, the higher percentage you pay. Unsurprisingly, liberals are all in favor of that.
why in God's name does a liberal or a republican have to be blamed for this????????? Always, no matter what thread you enter, always someone comes in and bashes a party, why? All it does is show how unbending and so totally extreme you are.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I am ALL in favor of raising gas taxes IF AND ONLY IF other taxes are reduced, so that the poor and working people of this nation benefit.
I agree in theory,but with billions upon billions a year being given to big biz,banks,farmers,mineral extraction companies etc etc ..Why raise taxes? Get rid of those subsidies..they go to companies and business that supposedly are the flag bearers of capitalism and free market...if they can't make it on their own,let them be trampled under foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Well it is not only Gruber and the {D}s who think the electorate is stupid. And they are right, a good portion of people would not even be aware of the hike if gas prices are low. What is disgusting is the leaders are looking for a paltry 15 billion in revenue. I guess the thought never occurred to them to cut from one area and divert funds to highway. Nope never crossed their minds.
they thought probably did cross their mind,but to shuffle money away from certain projects/grants /subsidies would be biting the hands that feed them in a lot of cases...they do not feel beholden to the American people anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
why in God's name does a liberal or a republican have to be blamed for this????????? Always, no matter what thread you enter, always someone comes in and bashes a party, why? All it does is show how unbending and so totally extreme you are.
some never learn to let the clutch out on their brains before they post and that's why everything has to be lockstep with those types

Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The writer makes a solid point that the party that is supposedly for the poor supports policies that hurt them the most. Of course this idea is moot because the bill will never see the light of day in congress thanks to a {R} take over. Like I said before the leaders are looking for a paltry 15 billion which they could find instead of raising the gas tax.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
I have a better idea...how about dropping the estimated 37.5 billion dollars a year that the US govt gives oil companies and use THAT money for our roads?

Fossil Fuel Subsidies: Overview - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
I have a much better idea than that. How about we end subsidies to all companies and move to a flat tax.

Why do you only want to go after oil company subsidies?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Get rid of those subsidies..they go to companies and business that supposedly are the flag bearers of capitalism and free market...if they can't make it on their own,let them be trampled under foot
BTW, you do realize that all corporate taxes are passed down to the consumer via higher price of goods, don't you?

As far as the highway fund goes, I say we should just have a single tax. Each year, or upon selling a vehicle, the mileage needs to be collected off each vehicle and the owner pays per mile driven. The rate will depend upon the type and weight of the vehicle. Every penny of that money should go to the highway fund and be ONLY used for highway construction and maintenance.

The people who use the roads should pay for them and the money charged for them should go to them.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
what? LOL...

I bet you guys blame liberals in your sleep...

Old 12-04-2014, 07:42 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,415 times
Quote:
I have a better idea...how about dropping the estimated 37.5 billion dollars a year that the US govt gives oil companies and use THAT money for our roads?

Fossil Fuel Subsidies: Overview - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International

Hey Swampy, something else we agree on! Take care.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Raise taxes on the leeches.

Problem solved.

How do you raise taxes on the leeches without raising them on the non-leeches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies