Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We also have many natural remedies such as garlic, herbs, vitamins, etc.
Your fave, elderberry, can be poison if unripe or undercooked,and has many drug interactions, all of which you dismissed as "unlikely" in another thread.
Elderberry | University of Maryland Medical Center

Garlic, too, has its side effects:
Garlic: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com

Many vitamins have side effects and can be toxic if used in excess. This is particularly true of the fat-soluble vitamins, e.g. A, D, E and K. Vitamin D is frequently mentioned in these threads as a flu remedy/preventive.
Hypervitaminosis D: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 AM

37,185 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It made complete sense to me on how the data is being manipulated. It may be too complicated for you susy_q2010.
As I said, if you cannot understand it, ask a statistician to explain it to you. The formula is middle school algebra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That is hilarious. Yet there are entire groups out there with kids suffering from autism (many of which got it from a flu vaccine).

Notice that the government has a federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP)

Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate - CNN.com
Autism from flu vaccine?

I haven't even heard that one before.

Yes, there are recognized adverse effects from vaccines for which compensation is awarded. Autism is not one of them, though.

Quote:
You posted a link to his stament where he admits fraud.

They omitted information in an effort to cover up a known risk.
No, he disagreed with the analysis. Disagreement is not fraud, and if the other authors wanted to "cover up" anything the data would have been trashed.

Here is what he said in a letter through his lawyer:

August 27, 2014 Press Release, "Statement of William W. Thompson, Ph.D., Regarding the 2004 Article Examining the Possibility of a Relationship Between MMR Vaccine and Autism"

'I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits."

"My concern has been the decision to omit relevant findings in a particular study for a particular sub* group for a particular vaccine. There have always been recognized risks for vaccination and I believe it is the responsibility of the CDC to properly convey the risks associated with receipt of those vaccines."

"Reasonable scientists can and do differ in their interpretation of information. I will do everything I can to assist any unbiased and objective scientists inside or outside the CDC to analyze data collected by the CDC or other public organizations for the purpose of understanding whether vaccines are associated with an increased risk of autism."

Thompson does not allege that the study was fraudulent.

There are problems with analysis of small groups within a larger study, and it increases the risk of false positive findings.

http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/courses...s_NEJM2007.pdf

"Avoid overinterpretation of subgroup differences. Be properly cautious in appraising their credibility, acknowledge the limitations, and provide supporting or contradictory data from other studies, if any."

Hooker's article attempting to re-analyze the same data was so bad it was retracted. A factor in the retraction was probably that the author failed to declare competing interests (notably that he had been involved in vaccine litigation).

Translational Neurodegeneration | Full text | Retraction: Measles-mumps-rubella vaccination timing and autism among young African American boys: a reanalysis of CDC data

From Dr. Gorski again (remember he is a real research scientist):

It’s official! Brian Hooker’s “reanalysis” of MMR data is retracted. – Respectful Insolence

The ultimate confirmation of the decision by the original authors is that the increased risk in African American boys does not show up in any other studies.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,352,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Your fave, elderberry, can be poison if unripe or undercooked,and has many drug interactions, all of which you dismissed as "unlikely" in another thread.

Many vitamins have side effects and can be toxic if used in excess. This is particularly true of the fat-soluble vitamins, e.g. A, D, E and K. Vitamin D is frequently mentioned in these threads as a flu remedy/preventive.
Maybe Olive Garden needs to put signs? Warning! Eating Garlic could be detrimental to your health!!!!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,794,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

No, he disagreed with the analysis. Disagreement is not fraud, and if the other authors wanted to "cover up" anything the data would have been trashed.

Here is what he said in a letter through his lawyer:

August 27, 2014 Press Release, "Statement of William W. Thompson, Ph.D., Regarding the 2004 Article Examining the Possibility of a Relationship Between MMR Vaccine and Autism"

'I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits."

"My concern has been the decision to omit relevant findings in a particular study for a particular sub* group for a particular vaccine. There have always been recognized risks for vaccination and I believe it is the responsibility of the CDC to properly convey the risks associated with receipt of those vaccines."

"Reasonable scientists can and do differ in their interpretation of information. I will do everything I can to assist any unbiased and objective scientists inside or outside the CDC to analyze data collected by the CDC or other public organizations for the purpose of understanding whether vaccines are associated with an increased risk of autism."

Thompson does not allege that the study was fraudulent.

There are problems with analysis of small groups within a larger study, and it increases the risk of false positive findings.

http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/courses...s_NEJM2007.pdf

"Avoid overinterpretation of subgroup differences. Be properly cautious in appraising their credibility, acknowledge the limitations, and provide supporting or contradictory data from other studies, if any."

Hooker's article attempting to re-analyze the same data was so bad it was retracted. A factor in the retraction was probably that the author failed to declare competing interests (notably that he had been involved in vaccine litigation).

Translational Neurodegeneration | Full text | Retraction: Measles-mumps-rubella vaccination timing and autism among young African American boys: a reanalysis of CDC data

From Dr. Gorski again (remember he is a real research scientist):

It’s official! Brian Hooker’s “reanalysis” of MMR data is retracted. – Respectful Insolence

The ultimate confirmation of the decision by the original authors is that the increased risk in African American boys does not show up in any other studies.
I've read that statement over and over again. He admits to omitting statistically significant information from the study. It was a calculated decision in order to skew the data and not have to talk about the facts that were damning for the vaccine and young African American boys. The fact that you can defend what the researchers did without a care in the world for those who may have been damaged as a result is very telling and very sad.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I dismissed them as unlikely because they are unlikely. How many deaths have you heard of from elderberry ever? If someone ate enough wild elderberries (a ton of them) they could die. Most people buy the syrup or they buy the dried berries and make tea with them. Boiling the berries for just a short time makes them safe. Why are you so opposed to something that is a proven flu fighter? I would think you would be happy with anything proven to fight the flu. Are you just mad because it's not a vaccine or Tamiflu? The end goal is the same. To prevent complications for the flu. Why the hate?

Any food can have bad effects. I know people with odd food allergies and those foods can be bad for them. Garlic is good for most people's health.

People should exercise caution with anything that they put into their body. People can be informed and make good decisions with that knowledge and awareness. They don't have to be research scientists to do so either.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-14-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
However, you dismissed Dr. Gorski's commentary as unscientific.

"I am not a scientific researcher" Tenpenny:

Just the Vax: Sherri Tenpenny is not a scientific researcher and she does not know how to set up a study

We already discussed Doshi. He is a historian, not a scientist.

Hyman is a family medicine doctor who has discovered how to make patients love him. He is apparently charismatic, but he is no scientific researcher. He does have a PubMed cite. Oh gee, it's

How to turn patients into raving fans. - PubMed - NCBI

Yes, really, that's the title.

Hyman is no research scientist, either.

Mercola:

Meditherm Inc. 3/22/11

What do Tenpenny, Hyman, and Mercola all have in common?

None of them is a research scientist and they all have something to sell besides skill in taking care of patients.

Got it. You only listen to a very narrow scope of "experts". If they are not a research scientist or a epidemiologist, your ears are closed. Just to let you know, no one in this thread meets your qualifications so you may be wasting your time conversing with any of us.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I dismissed them as unlikely because they are unlikely. How many deaths have you heard of from elderberry ever? If someone ate enough wild elderberries (a ton of them) they could die. Most people buy the syrup or they buy the dried berries and make tea with them. Boiling the berries for just a short time makes them safe. Why are you so opposed to something that is a proven flu fighter. I would think you would be happy with anything proven to fight the flu. Are you just mad because it's not a vaccine or Tamiflu? The end goal is the same. To prevent complications for the flu. Why the hate?

Any food can have bad effects. I know people with odd food allergies and those foods can be bad for them. Garlic is good for most people's health.

People should exercise caution with anything that they put into their body. People can be informed and make good decisions with that knowledge and awareness. They don't have to be research scientists to do so either.
You know what? You're right. And I was hoping you'd say that. Because you know what else? Serious side effects to flu vaccine are also unlikely. All those ingredients that trettep posted are found in other foods/meds that we use daily! The tiny doses of antibiotics in vaccines are almost impossible to cause any ototoxicity or other side effects. Formaldehyde is naturally present in many foods: http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsn...rmaldehyde.pdf, from apples to radishes, from beef to poultry. If you can dismiss these side effects from "natural" meds as unlikely, why can't you see that side effects from flu vaccine are also unlikely, and far less of a problem than side effects from influenza infection.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Got it. You only listen to a very narrow scope of "experts". If they are not a research scientist or a epidemiologist, your ears are closed. Just to let you know, no one in this thread meets your qualifications so you may be wasting your time conversing with any of us.
Did you not say you weren't going to read "doctor blogs"? You confine yourself to anti-vax writers and parrot what they say about so-called "fraudulent" studies. Pot, meet kettle.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You know what? You're right. And I was hoping you'd say that. Because you know what else? Serious side effects to flu vaccine are also unlikely. All those ingredients that trettep posted are found in other foods/meds that we use daily! The tiny doses of antibiotics in vaccines are almost impossible to cause any ototoxicity or other side effects. Formaldehyde is naturally present in many foods: http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsn...rmaldehyde.pdf, from apples to radishes, from beef to poultry. If you can dismiss these side effects from "natural" meds as unlikely, why can't you see that side effects from flu vaccine are also unlikely, and far less of a problem than side effects from influenza infection.
OK then, you get your vaccine and I will stick to natural treatments. We're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies