Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, it was the TANF program. You have about 80+ other programs that don't kick you off.
Partially because of how bad the situation has gotten since 2008 and how many people actually need welfare to survive because jobs created are not as good as the jobs lost and yet prices going up further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You are wrong on this. It is SS that is easier to acquire. SS is welfare, SSDI is Social Security Disability Income in which the worker pays for and can lose if they stop working for X amount of years. It is hard to qualify for SSDI unless you have a verifiable terminal condition, was a recent worker. I've seen first hand how difficult it is for a working disable, very ill person to qualify for SSDI. Not easy in the slightest and for most can take years to acquire.
You are mistaken. SS is SOCIAL SECURITY which workers pay into over their working lives.

You mean SSI, which is a subsidy of sorts for the very-low income population on SS.

(SSDI is disability, so you're correct on that.)

Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, it is a strengthening of social security and a weakening of the welfare system. Lazy non working types have a reason to be upset.
Are you also referring to my cousin who has Terminal liver disease from hepatitus,which she got while working as a nurse??
Some of you people need to be thrown under a bus.......

Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Republicans have been trying to bring down Social Security for decades.

Big business hates Social Security. The elderly aren't cheap labor and take up tax money. Big business wants the elderly to hurry up and die.
"Social Security" is neither security nor workable.

It has a 100% chance of failure. The concept itself is unintelligent and not fixable.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The definition should be "any" work not just can't perform their previous work. A 50-yr old should not be granted benefits because they cannot dig ditches if they can still stock shelves at Wal-Mart.
What if my job were to repair printed circuit boards in computers and other gadgets. What if I needed to watch my work through a magnifying glass, and work with steady hands. Then I got a disability which caused my hands to start shaking. Now I have to dig ditches or stock shelves? Shouldn't I have been able to buy disability insurance, so if that ever happened, I wouldn't have to do cheap work? But isn't such disability insurance exactly what SSDI is supposed to be? Why should the person who can no longer repair printed circuit boards have to dig ditches or stock shelves, if he paid for SSDI during 40 years of repairing printed circuit boards? If he earned $40 per hour, he now has to earn $9 per hour, because of his disability? Shouldn't he have been able to buy disability insurance that would pay him 33%, which would be $13.33 per hour? Isn't that what SSDI is supposed to be? Isn't that what he paid for during those 40 years of earning $40 per hour?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
"Social Security" is neither security nor workable.

It has a 100% chance of failure. The concept itself is unintelligent and not fixable.

That's like saying democracy has a 100% chance of failure. So what? SS has been working fine for decades, and will continue to work fine for more decades.

Our society is going to change drastically, from almost everything being automated, with no further need for workers. We have a lot more to worry about for the future than SS. Meanwhile, it's not that big a problem.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Are the people on this forum short a brick or two? SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance paid for by your FICA taxes. SSI is Supplemental Security Income is Welfare paid for by the state and the federal government. And I work for a living.
Quote:
You are wrong on this. It is SS that is easier to acquire. SS is welfare, SSDI is Social Security Disability Income in which the worker pays for and can lose if they stop working for X amount of years. It is hard to qualify for SSDI unless you have a verifiable terminal condition, was a recent worker. I've seen first hand how difficult it is for a working disable, very ill person to qualify for SSDI. Not easy in the slightest and for most can take years to acquire.
It has been pointed out to you by several posters that you are not well informed about SS, SSDI and SSI. For that matter I don't think you realize that those on SS also PAY for Medicare. Where do you get the notion that one can collect SSDI if they have a terminal condition?

BTW, I also worked for a living.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I will be 67 soon and have been working and paying into social security over 50 years now. While i could collect now i am opting not to in order to get more later.

Three years ago i added up the total amount paid into ss on my behalf and dotaled what i would have if i had only deposited the money in a simple passbook account paying the average interest rate over the years. If i had done that today i would have over $710,000 in my account.

When i do start to collect is that welfare?
How about back tracking and reading the posts of the poster I responded to who claimed SS is welfare. It would help you make an informed post.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You are mistaken. SS is SOCIAL SECURITY which workers pay into over their working lives.

You mean SSI, which is a subsidy of sorts for the very-low income population on SS.

(SSDI is disability, so you're correct on that.)
Correct, SSI. I left the "I" out by mistake.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
That's like saying democracy has a 100% chance of failure. So what? SS has been working fine for decades, and will continue to work fine for more decades.

Our society is going to change drastically, from almost everything being automated, with no further need for workers. We have a lot more to worry about for the future than SS. Meanwhile, it's not that big a problem.
Agree however, Automation does not work in a vacuum. Automation has always been here and will continue to exist. Innovation will keep us busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies