Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Lemme see.....

1. Get up, go to work, sweat and bust my ass, come home and rest, then do it again everyday.

or

2. Get up, check my EBT card balance, order pizza, sit on my ass and watch TV, nap, go out and buy stuff with EBT card for friends that give me cash for the haul, come home, crash, then do it again everyday.

Hmmmm, #2 cuz it was far more work to type it in so I am the most productive member of society.

If you order pizza and sit on your ***, how does the pizza get to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I want me one of them there 'bama phones. Too late for the 'bama tuition - already spent 4 K in community college tuition for my daughter
Do you even know what that is lol

Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Not exactly, elderly poor get SSI, as do "disabled" adults and children who never worked a day in their life. The bottom line is that if one chooses to not ever work, they can go on the dole and receive the full range of benefits - welfare, medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, free utilities, etc. It's tempting for a person working for a wage less than $20/hr to just "go on the dole" - it's the equivalent of a 30 - 40K salary per year.

Do you have any idea how long the waiting list is for subsidized housing? I couldn't even get on the waiting list in Portland - they held a lottery to decide who got on the waiting list and I did not 'win' that lottery. The vast majority of low-income renters do not receive any housing assistance.

Most states did not extend Medicaid to childless adults before Obamacare. About half the states still do not extend Medicaid to childless adults.

The max one can get on SSI is something like $721 per month. I'm payiing $500 to rent a room in an 8-person house. Nobody on SSI is living luxuriously, and if they earn anything on the books their SSI is reduced.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Notice no matter how much free stuff you give the free loaders they are still poor. It's like the w2 worker who thinks if only they could get a good raise life would be rosy. For some reason they keep forgetting the "learn to handle money" part of the equation. I have no problem with w2 workers but they should teach more about personal finance and people need to learn how to say no, I don't NEED that.

Financial peace isn't the acquisition of stuff. It's learning to live on less than you make.

Welfare inherently does not promote forward-thinking personal finance because saving for the future is penalized in the form of reduced benefits.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why do not we close our borders to immigrants and deport all the illegals we can find so there will be plenty of jobs available for the poor?
Because that would make sense, and we don't do things that make sense in this country.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Yes! Everybody in Cleveland, low minorities, got Obama phone. Keep Obama in president, you know? He gave us a phone!

I doubt the CC will catch on, there's work and inconvenience required.

Only the baby mamas have those phones now. Mommy and Junior and Missy get only one total so Mommy gets it. Or else Mommy gets a phone from boyfriend and one of the kids gets a free phone.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
If you don't work, don't have to worry bout 'bamacare - it's all freeeeeee

??? Exactly how does that work?

Old 01-10-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Don't forget

ObamaCars,
ObamaPhones
ObamaCare,
Now promising ObamaTuition

All on the backs of the taxpayer. Why the hell are any of us working?

What are ObamaCars?

Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Watch "Judge Judy" for a few weeks. It's pretty eye-opening about our welfare policies.

It's been said that the best way to avoid being poor is to stay in school, graduate, get a job, keep that job, and don't marry or have kids until you've done the first four things on this list.

What we have now are basically two welfare systems:

The first caters to single teen mothers, who get more money the more children they have. See "Octomom."

It helps if they're uneducated and don't speak English well. I doubt that a well-spoken, educated person would be well-received by the dispensers of welfare.

Of course, a fresh baby must be carried to all welfare interviews and there are bonus points for "having one in the oven."

The other welfare program is for people who work for government for twenty years, retire young, get a huge pension adjusted upward for inflation for the rest of their lives -- plus free health care -- and can "double dip" if they choose, by starting a second government job with its own additional pension, etc.

Politicians also get in on these goodies.

Being poor and in need of assistance is miserable for single people with no children, but for anyone to suggest that a lot of welfare recipients don't have it pretty good is ridiculous.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:26 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Deep mystery:

If inequality "starts in the crib" why oh why oh why do poor people keep having children?
They keep voting democratic to keep getting the handouts.

I don't have a problem with people in need getting assistance. I do have a problem with people in greed getting subsistence.

We are are moving toward a police state because that is what is needed to control the welfare state.

We are fooked Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies