Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I told you before that those people enjoy LUXURY, abusing the word NEED there is absurd and an insult to the NEEDY.
Thank you.

Its a desperate attempt to draw a comparison between the two groups that simply does not exist.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
I told you before that those people enjoy LUXURY, abusing the word NEED there is absurd and an insult to the NEEDY.
One person's luxury is another person's life necessity. So... who makes the value judgment on what type (and cost) of food, clothing, shelter each person should have? I've stated several times that those with very low incomes can pool their resources with roommates or extended family members, etc., under one roof and therefore be able to afford their own food, clothing, and shelter while still paying their share of taxes.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
When are the bottom 50% going to start paying their fair share?

Probably when they get their fair share of income.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you can't refrain from personal attacks, please stop talking to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Calm down Rambo.
So, only you get to engage in personal attacks?

Please explain how you calling me "Rambo" is any less an attack than me calling you "Corky" after you initiated the names with Rambo?

"No, you don't understand, I'm a liberal, so it's do as I say not as I do."

Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
When are the bottom 50% going to start paying their fair share?

Probably when they get their fair share of income.
Their share of the income is higher than the share of the federal income tax revenue they pay.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are they not doing what I stated they're doing? It's quite clear they're creating their own problems.

It reminds me of the classic Bio 101 experiment in which bacteria is grown in a petri dish in a nourishing medium, and therefore overpopulates to the point of making it very difficult for the bacteria to continue to survive as the resource (nourishing medium) is used up by the exponentially increasing bacteria population.
Any bacteria reproducing are eating up the food, including those which you seem to consider more worthy.
Anyway, humans are not bacteria, everyone has the potential to be as precious as anyone else. If it weren't for poor people and immigrants, the US would have the same problem as many European countries, namely an aging population. The fertility rate is 1.9, which is below the figure needed. Remove immigrants' and poor people's excess children and the rate would be even lower. So you might just as well blame wealthy people for not producing enough worthy bacteria, um, children.

To blame are employers and the system in general because they do not appreciate people doing simple jobs. That creates poverty and the feeling of being exploited, with all the consequences, for instance the feeling that giving one's best is not enough etc.

Another aspect is the way taxes are spent. Since you seem to think that there is a lack of tax money, you might ask yourself if it would not make more sense to get involved in fewer wars, which would save billions of dollars. The whole MIC is consuming incredible sums, a real parasite with a huge overhead. Not to mention the billions all the spying costs.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
One person's luxury is another person's life necessity. So... who makes the value judgment on what type (and cost) of food, clothing, shelter each person should have? I've stated several times that those with very low incomes can pool their resources with roommates or extended family members, etc., under one roof and therefore be able to afford their own food, clothing, and shelter while still paying their share of taxes.
Any reasonable human being knows the difference between luxury and essential needs. Are you a robot?
Like it or not, there are always limits to linear correlations and scalability.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Any bacteria reproducing are eating up the food, including those which you seem to consider more worthy.
Anyway, humans are not bacteria, everyone has the potential to be as precious as anyone else. If it weren't for poor people and immigrants, the US would have the same problem as many European countries, namely an aging population. The fertility rate is 1.9, which is below the figure needed. Remove immigrants' and poor people's excess children and the rate would be even lower.
What is the point of encouraging, enabling, and rewarding an exponentially growing welfare-dependent class? How are public assistance recipients going to contribute more than they take, which is what is needed to sustain our society?

Quote:
To blame are employers and the system in general because they do not appreciate people doing simple jobs.
Again, supply and demand. There's an oversupply of no/low-skill workers. That depresses their wages. Their 3 times higher birth rate, and giving illegal aliens work permits only exacerbate that problem.

Quote:
Another aspect is the way taxes are spent. Since you seem to think that there is a lack of tax money, you might ask yourself if it would not make more sense to get involved in fewer wars, which would save billions of dollars. The whole MIC is consuming incredible sums, a real parasite with a huge overhead. Not to mention the billions all the spying costs.
Oh, I agree. Not a fan of war.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Any reasonable human being knows the difference between luxury and essential needs.
You'll find that opinions on that will vary, WIDELY. Who makes the value judgment on what type (and cost) of food, clothing, shelter each person is allowed to have?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Their share of the income is higher than the share of the federal income tax revenue they pay.
Wut?

You're gonna have to 'splain that to me.

Everyone's 'share' of income is more than what they pay in federal taxes. Do you pay 90% of your income in taxes?

When people stop being paid slave wages they will then have the ability to pay more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies