Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 02:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The birth rate differential (those receiving public assistance compared to those not) has been static over the time the Census has reported them. I've posted them complete with links to the Census report data.
You ignored most of my reply.... I guess you're logic wasn't that strong....

Birth rates of different income groups change.

Quote:
Not when an increasingly larger percentage of the population requires public assistance to survive. How is that paid for? How is that sustainable?
Its sustainable if you change the way we tax and hand out social services and entitlements. You're whole basis of reasoning is assuming past or current rates are constants and extrapolating. Your whole notion of cause and effect is flawed or your trying to make the data fit your ideology. Want to give it another shot.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Has it completely escaped your attention that the U.S. with its highly progressive tax system also has very high income inequality? There's a reason for that. I'll elaborate if you don't get it.
You did early and you ignored my reply. Your notion of cause and effect is not correct.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And when one's means won't even cover the price of the basic necessities?

OH THAT'S RIGHT! Pool resources from 5 or 6 people and live together. Wow you have all the answers. We shouldn't pay people enough to even pay for basics. No, we should pay them as little as possible and then tell them to pair up with roommates. TOTALLY LOGICAL.

I'm getting close to done with this conversation.
Man you are missing the point. We are talking about lazy and greedy people (the same people with both problems) There are way too many Americans that are NOT going to work hard. When the going gets tough, then I want welfare. This problem is compounded by liberal politicians who entice this type of behavior in return for votes. I'll give you free stuff if you vote for me. Why can't dems tell people to get back to work? If JFK were around he would have to switch to the GOP.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
When are the bottom 50% going to start paying their fair share?

Probably when they get their fair share of income.
Fair share? Are they not paid an honest wage for the work that they do? Are you suggesting that doctors and cashiers should be paid the same?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Man you are missing the point. We are talking about lazy and greedy people (the same people with both problems) There are way too many Americans that are NOT going to work hard. When the going gets tough, then I want welfare. This problem is compounded by liberal politicians who entice this type of behavior in return for votes. I'll give you free stuff if you vote for me. Why can't dems tell people to get back to work? If JFK were around he would have to switch to the GOP.
No were not talking about lazy and greedy people. At least not in this thread. The thread title is about the 50% of the people in this country who don't pay federal income taxes. I've put up a breakdown of those bottom 50% before but you righties conveniently ignore them due to blind hatred.

From the US census. If you need a link, I'll get it again.
23 percent of the population are children.
14.5% of those bottom 50% are retired people who paid taxes all their working life.
19% of those people are legally disabled.
Now there may be a very small percentage of those people who are lazy and greedy but you seem to want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Are you gonna try and tell me that that whole group of "bottom 50% are lazy and greedy?

Really?????????

Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No were not talking about lazy and greedy people. At least not in this thread. The thread title is about the 50% of the people in this country who don't pay federal income taxes. I've put up a breakdown of those bottom 50% before but you righties conveniently ignore them due to blind hatred.

From the US census. If you need a link, I'll get it again.
14.5% of those bottom 50% are retired people who paid taxes all their working life.
Now there may be a very small percentage of those people who are lazy and greedy but you seem to want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Are you gonna try and tell me that that whole group of "bottom 50% are lazy and greedy?

Really?????????
it seems like you are stuck on the number (50) The OP probably didn't even know the actual number (it could be 45, or 55?) So, to nitpick the 50% part of the discussion is going off into the woods IMO.
FYI: 42.8% of all statistics are just made up on the spot.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:37 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And stop acting you deserve something you didn't work for.
You don't know me!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
it seems like you are stuck on the number (50) The OP probably didn't even know the actual number (it could be 45, or 55?) So, to nitpick the 50% part of the discussion is going off into the woods IMO.
FYI: 42.8% of all statistics are just made up on the spot.
Well, with all due respect, your posts on the subject try to paint a picture of lazy, greedy people not contributing to the national good and that you're supporting them at your expense. I'm here to post counter facts that demonstrate that that image you wish to portray is absolutely untrue.
Frankly, the OP just made a claim and offered no links or facts to validate any part of anything he said. Now you come in claiming that the bottom 50% are lazy greedy people who suck off welfare.
I'm here to post actual facts and irrefutable links that prove you and the OP wrong on all counts.
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Now I'll ask again for you to validate the statement you made that the bottom 50% are lazy, greedy leeches on welfare.
Do you want to start a thread on lazy greedy individuals abusing the social safety nets, I'l be glad to participate.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
When are the bottom 50% going to start paying their fair share?

Soon as Obama gets done writing a new future for 'Merikans
Quote:
President Obama wants to help America write a "new future" where middle-class economics means giving everyone a fair shot at life -- including free college, free childcare, free paid leave, free health care.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Fair share? Are they not paid an honest wage for the work that they do? Are you suggesting that doctors and cashiers should be paid the same?

My employer nets $3M a year. His gross payroll is $500K. All employees are paid within 25 cents per hour above minimum wage.

I report, you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies