Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 12:22 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times

Advertisements

A perfect response to the whole 50% argument.
Attached Thumbnails
When are the bottom 50% going to start paying their fair share?-10527613_1039934456033201_5238532340466237387_n.jpg  

Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. And here's why...

Guess who depends on multinational, multibillionaire companies' profits for the pensions they've been promised?

Just one example: CalPERS, the California Public Employees Retirement System.
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...ities/home.xml

Multiply that by 50 states, and even more union and private sector pension plans.

But you all are incapable of connecting the dots between promised pensions and corporate profits, aren't you? That would actually require using actual critical thinking skills instead of just spewing emotion-based knee-jerk reactions.
Geez at it again i see, Do you know who benefits more then CalPers which is a small % in some companies stock? Take for example walmart the biggest retailer. The waltons who own Walmart owns more then 50% of the stock of the company, but once again the end results justify the means right? Out of the 3.4 billion

Pg 1/2

Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Pg 2/2

shares of walmart stock the are in existence. CalPers owns 7.7 million shares of Wal-Mart stock worth about $511 million. Small potatoes. So we should justify greed and the take mentality of the owners of walmart because a few stock owners are working class people relying on there pensions for retirement?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Geez at it again i see, Do you know who benefits more then CalPers which is a small % in some companies stock?
CalPERS is a small %? Perhaps. But like I said, multiply that times 50 for all the states, and then again by many times more to include all the private sector union and other pension plans.

Reduce corporate profits and you reduce the working people's pensions. Are you good with that?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
CalPERS is a small %? Perhaps. But like I said, multiply that times 50 for all the states, and then again by many times more to include all the private sector union and other pension plans.

Reduce corporate profits and you reduce the working people's pensions. Are you good with that?
I don't claim to be a stock or wall street expert and can be wrong, but where is the other states employees stocks? I see alot of major banks and financial institutions?

WMT Major Holders | Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Common St Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Old 01-25-2015, 08:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
In the Census reports I cited and linked, the 3 to 1 rate differential remained consistent.
Not exactly constantly, it does fluctuate, you must be taking the average.

Quote:
You're ignoring the fact that the growth in the taker population is exponentially outpacing the growth in the contributor population. That's simply not sustainable. Mathematical fact.
The poor have always grown faster than their wealthier counterparts. You clearly have no knowledge of American history or an understanding of global economics. You've already ignored my point that the global poor population has exploded. You also ignore the real issues of why people are stuck in poverty like declining wages, benefits, and part time jobs over the last 3 decades. I wouldn't expect to an ideologue to understand the complex nuances of the world.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I don't claim to be a stock or wall street expert and can be wrong, but where is the other states employees stocks? I see alot of major banks and financial institutions?

WMT Major Holders | Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Common St Stock - Yahoo! Finance
Walmart isn't the only publicly traded company. Pension plans invest in many equities. Walmart is just one of them. And it's not just states. New York City's pension plan invests in Walmart, too, as do many other large cities.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...art-executives

The major banks and financial institutions you see listed sell certificates of deposit and other savings products. The interest on those, paid to the savings products' holders, is funded by the profits those banks and financial institutions make on their equities investments. The mutual funds listed are those in which many, including even middle class America, have their IRA/401K savings.

Ding corporate profits, and you ding everyone's retirement. The middle class will suffer the most.

More info on how wide the impact would be if corporate profits were stunted:
Quote:
"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.

...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from an IRA, 401K, pension fund (public employee, union, or private sector), mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., DEPENDS on corporate profits. Just so you understand, I'll reiterate... they DEPEND on corporate profits.

How anyone fails to connect the dots on how so very many Americans' retirement plans (pensions, IRAs/401Ks, annuities, etc.) absolutely depend on corporate profits is beyond me. Don't people have critical thinking skills anymore?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not exactly constantly, it does fluctuate, you must be taking the average.
I just cited the Census Bureau's statistics. If you don't like their findings, take it up with them.

Quote:
The poor have always grown faster than their wealthier counterparts.
So, what's the plan for funding the exponentially growing dependent class's various forms of public assistance and welfare?

To repeat:

1) Nearly half of all U.S. births are paid for by Medicaid (medical care public assistance program for the poor).
Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

2) Those who receive public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't. Stats and citations, here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

3) 70% of those who are born into poverty never even make it to the middle class.
Only 30% of those born poor ever make it to the middle class

Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
I like the idea of a Flat Tax

Everyone pays something.

It gives one dignity and responsibility.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
I just cited the Census Bureau's statistics. If you don't like their findings, take it up with them.

So, what's the plan for funding the exponentially growing dependent class's various forms of public assistance and welfare?

To repeat:

1) Nearly half of all U.S. births are paid for by Medicaid (medical care public assistance program for the poor).
Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

2) Those who receive public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't. Stats and citations, here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

3) 70% of those who are born into poverty never even make it to the middle class.
Only 30% of those born poor ever make it to the middle class
I certainly wouldn't call charging people who have nothing more in taxes "a plan". I'd call it stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies