Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 01:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not at all. Live within one's means. Don't expect a handout you didn't earn and/or to which you didn't contribute to for decades (e.g., SS and Medicare) unless you're genuinely incapacitated. Simple as that.
And when one's means won't even cover the price of the basic necessities?

OH THAT'S RIGHT! Pool resources from 5 or 6 people and live together. Wow you have all the answers. We shouldn't pay people enough to even pay for basics. No, we should pay them as little as possible and then tell them to pair up with roommates. TOTALLY LOGICAL.

I'm getting close to done with this conversation.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
InformedConsent"Live within one's means. Don't expect a handout you didn't earn and/or to which you didn't contribute to for decades (e.g., SS and Medicare) unless you're genuinely incapacitated. Simple as that."

Amen, IMO all aid (Except Unemployment Insurance)should be limited to 6 months continuous, 1 year lifetime, per household. No matter what.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Yes, because they have REGRESSIVE tax systems. Duh.

Look at the "Progressivity of Direct Taxes" chart, here:
Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post
No. Because there is no army of working poor. One can live well as a burger-flipper in Scandinavia, nobody makes you feel like you have the wrong job.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And when one's means won't even cover the price of the basic necessities?
Pool resources with roommates and/or extended family members under the same roof. Done.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No. Because there is no army of working poor.
They can't afford to be. They pay VAT tax just like everyone else.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
They can't afford to be. They pay VAT tax just like everyone else.
Exactly, in Scandinavia almost everyone can afford to pay taxes.
Income disparity is the center of the problem, around the world. Wherever you look, when incomes are spread too much, there are all kinds of problems.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Exactly, in Scandinavia almost everyone can afford to pay taxes.
Income disparity is the center of the problem, around the world. Wherever you look, when incomes are spread too much, there are all kinds of problems.
Has it completely escaped your attention that the U.S. with its highly progressive tax system also has very high income inequality? There's a reason for that. I'll elaborate if you don't get it.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
This is what 2014 McJob demographics SHOULD look like (as it did in prior gens) Either that, or accept the job didn't change, and merits no pay difference from the era of this picture other than minimum wage changes.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Has it completely escaped your attention that the U.S. with its highly progressive tax system also has very high income inequality? There's a reason for that. I'll elaborate if you don't get it.
It might be one of those chicken-egg problems. And I personally think income equality is the original problem, not progressive taxation.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.

My, my, my. You poor thing, you. I assume that your education from pre-school through college was all exclusively private, paid for by you and your parents? That you never attended a state institution of higher learning nor did you take a government loan for tuition and/or other expenses? I also assume that you drive only on roads and highways that are maintained and paid for by you and your private cohorts? I assume that you are not a US citizen whose life was endangered starting with 9/11 and all the acts of terrorism since then? Or perhaps you have your own private army, as well - not to mention your own group of paid bodyguards who watch over your family and your home. No city police for you. Yeah, it must be a real pain dragging around all that stuff for the worthless riffraff and that you yourself never use.

Meanwhile, the lower 50% in income pay taxes on all sorts of things like food, gasoline, the purchase of a car, the value of their home, all sorts of sales taxes imposed by all sorts of governmental entities from local to federal. Plus depending on which bracket the "lower" 50% is in, they pay state and federal taxes on their income just like you do Mr. Downtrodden millionaire.

Tell you what. Why don't you go ahead and stash all your assets in an offshore bank just like about every other high income person does these days and get a life - one of using all sorts of services and amenities that I have to pay for since I don't earn enough money to hire a clever accountant to do my tax cheating for me.

And you have a college education? If you say so, but I'd have place you in with the dim bulb set myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies