Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Keep your sexual preferences to yourself and I don't see a problem.

You?
No one prefers being gay any more than they prefer being a woman, white, 5' 10" or left handed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No one prefers being gay any more than they prefer being a woman, white, 5' 10" or left handed.
And that relates to the discussion at hand .. how?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh; I'm confused, wasn't the law put there to prevent a person being denied a job or even fired from a job solely because they might be gay? So it's now alright to fire a worker for reasons of their sexual orientation alone.

Next up, Kansas requires DNA testing to determine original sexual gender of state employees or potential hires. Ya just never know; Bruce Jenner could apply for a life guard job at the state pool.

Freak'n retarded morons running the clown show in Kansas. Grab Toto and click your heels together.

Do you remember a cult movie from the 1970s starting a very young Don Johnson (pre Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice). Called A Boy and His Dog? Where the hero comes across a strange community living in nuclear bomb shelters in a post Appocalytic America called Topeka? In Topeka the punishment for straying from the social norm was "To buy the Farm" .

Old 02-11-2015, 09:22 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
For a second there, I thought Kansas might treat gay and transgender people like actual human beings. Thank you Governor Brownback, for trying to divert attention away from the disaster you've created with Kansas' finances by going out of your way to make gay and transgender people miserable.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
For a second there, I thought Kansas might treat gay and transgender people like actual human beings. Thank you Governor Brownback, for trying to divert attention away from the disaster you've created with Kansas' finances by going out of your way to make gay and transgender people miserable.
Priorities

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times
In 1972, I was hired on as a flight engineer on an up and coming commercial carrier.

During my interview, I was never asked if I was gay.

In all the years that I worked for that carrier, I was never asked by co-workers or friends if I prefered men or women to fornicate with!
NEVER!

I see a problem with gays and it isn't with people like me .. until they insist that I know (and accept) their preferences for sexual gratification!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM

409 posts, read 258,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Sounds like they are being treated like actual human beings rather than special little snowflakes who need their own special rules.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Listen, the person gave every indication that he (or she) was gay and has a problem with people not accepting it!

I don't personally give a rats behind who you fornicate with!

I DO mind it being pushed in my face all the time.

I am sick of the PC tip toeing around blacks, gays <---(Hijacked 'feel good' word) and radical muslims.

I NEVER apologize for being honest!

Truth hurts.

Put your pecker out there for the world to see .. you may not like what you don't get back!

And Yes, Even I have gotten tired of tip toeing around blacks .. even though I am half black myself!
Who's PUSHING anything in your face? I was born gay, I can't help that. I certainly don't walk around talking about it at work because it's not any huge defining factor in my life - it's just part of who I am as a person. I found my husband about 5 years ago and I've never been happier. He's an engineer at an oil refinery out in northwest Indiana. Now that we're married it would be a little hard to keep that some stressful secret at work. Luckily for us we live in a place where people, gay and straight, understand how absolutely silly it would be to fire someone just for being gay. Why not fire them for being red headed? Or shorter than average? Maybe black, or a woman? Being gay means nothing more about me as a person than being straight means for someone else. It's just one factor of your life, but it doesn't change who you are on the inside. It doesn't change emotions, intelligence, morals, your life's worth.

Should I take my ring off my finger and hide it, because someone would inevitably ask about it at some point. What do I tell the HR people as far as insurance? What happens when that random person at a happy hour asks if I'm dating someone? Do I freak out and lie and hide it? Should I be more ashamed or afraid to tell people? Because that's how gay people have been brought up to think about themselves. Confusion because they know they didn't choose any of this. Confusion what's so wrong with it all. They did nothing to hurt anyone.

Do I act awkward and just NEVER SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY PRIVATE LIFE. I mean I can't let anyone know the truth.....that I'm a guy from Iowa who was born gay and now I live in Chicago with my husband who I love dearly and we have an awesome life. We have a few pets, we like to go out to dinner with friends, we like to go to their lakehouse in Michigan. We both love our families and travel back and forth to see them each month.

Should we make sure to hide all that in case someone finds out we're gay.....and then they fire us from our jobs?

The whole "don't shove it in my face" thing is silly when 90% of the time gay people are actively TRYING to change the subject when people don't know they're gay. Straight people push either because they don't know, or from person experience I can tell you a LOT of them push out of curiosity and then act like it's some magic prize they won when they figure out you're gay. As if it's a big game or we're carneys at a state fair.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
No, it's paranoia.
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not where I come from and evidently not in Kansas either.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Sounds like they are being treated like actual human beings rather than special little snowflakes who need their own special rules.
Actually no. The order overturned also bans harassing gay and transgender people who work for the government. So good news for you and Mr. Close, you can get jobs working for Kansas (better hurry, Brownback's just about to run out of money to run the state) and harass your gay and transgendered co-workers to your heart's content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies