Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
That may be part of it, but I think the majority of why it scares them is because of their get-out-the-vote drives. The way it works now is that their community organizers can just round up a bunch of apathetic people off the street, tell them who to vote for, and take them in a van to the polling place. The only effort these people are making is to walk in, mark the boxes they were told to mark, and walk out. But if those people had to make an individual effort to vote, they wouldn't do it and the Democrats know that. This is also the reason why it was the left wing who campaigned so hard to get the rules on voter registration destroyed - because these people would never put forth any effort to register themselves. But as it is, the community organizers register them. They just have the person tell them their name, and then the organizer is one who does everything. It's the same with the student vote. If the students have to make the effort to request, receive, and mail in an out-of-state ballot they aren't going to bother with it, so the leftists absolutely insist it is evil discrimination not to let the students vote locally with a student ID.

Also note that the leftists who are so concerned with voting rights had precisely the opposite views when it came to the military vote. When it comes to overseas troops, who happen to vote Republican more often than Democrat, the liberals are more than happy to tighten restrictions. Also, while using the transportation problems of rural voters in their efforts to fight voter ID laws, do those liberals ever advocate for any efforts to help those rural voters - rural voters who tend to vote Republican - overcome their transportation problem to get to the polls? Nope.

One interesting thing to note is the people who are fighting this voter ID thing so hard are the very same people who will then turn around and tell you that liberals are so much smarter and more educated than conservatives. It reminds me of the absurd hypocrisy of how leftists claim that Republicans are the party of the rich and simultaneously bash the poor red states that take in more federal aid than they pay out.

All of it just comes down to the liberals playing politics and hiding behind fake accusations of racism and fake principles of the right to vote because it will benefit their numbers come election day.
It reminds me a lot of the whole Florida vote recount schpeel. The Democrats insisted that they just wanted every vote to count ... but they only asked for recounts in counties that they won. They were trying to squeeze out more votes for themselves while keeping the additional missed votes for Republicans to a bare minimum.

If the Dems had any integrity at all in 2000, they'd have asked for a recount in every county of Florida. They didn't. Fast forward to today, if they had any integrity at all they would support the move to prove that people voting are citizens and aren't voting repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Since there is no fraud why do you care if there is a quick check? Its not infringing on a right either its just doing a little bit to make sure the right people are doing it just like background checks don't stop you from getting a gun it just makes sure you are legal to do so.
Oh I don't care, I vote by mail so it has no effect on my life. I just like pointing out that a photo ID actually won't prevent any of the fraud issues you guys keep going on about.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why, exactly, are you terrified at the thought of having to show ID to vote?

Check out the link I posted in post #109.

So, you would have no problem if your neighbor showed up at the polls, gave YOUR name and address and voted under your name? Then when you go to vote, you get told that you voted already.

I'm sure I've pointed out before that when there were Motor voter laws before the REAL ID Act passed, illegals got drivers licenses and filled out the paperwork to register to vote, thus lying when they said they were citizens. As a result, some were caught and arrested.
First off, my neighbor would have a tough time replicating my signature for them, plus they would also have a hard time explaining why I voted by mail and that they have already received my ballot. Which in case you didn't know, we vote by mail in Oregon. No need to show a photo ID here.

So what is preventing an illegal from lying to get a photo ID, and then lying to get registered to vote? A photo ID doesn't show if you are a legal citizen of this country, nor does it show you are legally allowed to vote. All it does is show that the picture and the face match and is only effective with in person voting. It also doesn't address a single issue with how most voter fraud happens in this country.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why such fierce opposition?

Easy Answer.

It detracts from their own failed agenda & accomplishments. When you don't have a record that you can run on, then create a false bogeyman to fight against.

easier answer would be, it would take away all the more than 1 time voters, dead voters and illegal aliens that vote for them.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
First off, my neighbor would have a tough time replicating my signature for them, plus they would also have a hard time explaining why I voted by mail and that they have already received my ballot. Which in case you didn't know, we vote by mail in Oregon. No need to show a photo ID here.

So what is preventing an illegal from lying to get a photo ID, and then lying to get registered to vote? A photo ID doesn't show if you are a legal citizen of this country, nor does it show you are legally allowed to vote. All it does is show that the picture and the face match and is only effective with in person voting. It also doesn't address a single issue with how most voter fraud happens in this country.
Do you seriously think that they compare your signature to see if it matches? Besides, where I live, I don't have to sign anything. I show my voter ID card and a picture ID, then get my ballot.

I have no problem showing a photo ID and my voter ID card. What, exactly, is your problem with the whole process?

Did you see the video link I posted in post #109? If so, you see nothing wrong with that at all?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Ok...so the title is a little tongue in cheek. I know why Democrats REALLY oppose voter ID laws so fiercly...it stands to potentially impose hardship on one of their key voting demographics. That, regardless of what Democrats will say, is the REAL reason. That being said...I understand why Democrats are so against them and they level the most effective public relations campaign against these laws. The Democrats go with the old yet reliable accusations against Republicans of racism. The best and most effective weapon in the Democrat's toolbelt is the claim that old white men hate brown people. People just eat that one up.

But I'm confused about why Democrats oppose it so much under the pseudo-outrage that it will somehow cause "disenfranchisement." How? How is this argument even quasi-valid? It's riddled with holes. ID cards are freely issued. No one is charged for an identification card and on top of that...they are easy to obtain.

Further, Everyone that is born in this country is born with a Social Security number. In my state (Nebraska) all one needs to obtain a valid, state-issued Identification card is proof that they live in this state (address at a shelter will suffice) and a social security number. How is this a challenge? How does this process "disenfranchise?" Is it honestly that burdensome to take a day from your "busy" schedule of loitering and asking for money to swing by the DMV? I live in a small city and we've got DMV's everywhere. They aren't hard to find.

Why is proving that you are who you say you are and that you live in the state you wish to vote in grounds for accusations of "disenfranchisement?"
Why would Republicans support such laws when they know the impact is to eliminate legitimate voters? The GOP is quite pathetic and transparent. Under the guise of going after illegitimate voters, of which there are none, they want to make it harder for non-supporters to vote.

Frankly, anything Republicans want, is not good for the country, and must be opposed.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Do you seriously think that they compare your signature to see if it matches? Besides, where I live, I don't have to sign anything. I show my voter ID card and a picture ID, then get my ballot.

I have no problem showing a photo ID and my voter ID card. What, exactly, is your problem with the whole process?

Did you see the video link I posted in post #109? If so, you see nothing wrong with that at all?
How do they know it is you? They don't have your picture on file to prove that the picture of you in the photo ID is correctly you? Someone could have faked your photo ID and voted in your place.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 AM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How do they know it is you? They don't have your picture on file to prove that the picture of you in the photo ID is correctly you? Someone could have faked your photo ID and voted in your place.
You are really, really reaching here. Give it up already. You're embarrassing yourself.

I show my drivers license. In order to get a DL, I had to show my birth certificate and SS card. The DL in my state has secure features that make it impossible to forge.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Ok...so the title is a little tongue in cheek. I know why Democrats REALLY oppose voter ID laws so fiercly...it stands to potentially impose hardship on one of their key voting demographics. That, regardless of what Democrats will say, is the REAL reason. That being said...I understand why Democrats are so against them and they level the most effective public relations campaign against these laws. The Democrats go with the old yet reliable accusations against Republicans of racism. The best and most effective weapon in the Democrat's toolbelt is the claim that old white men hate brown people. People just eat that one up.

But I'm confused about why Democrats oppose it so much under the pseudo-outrage that it will somehow cause "disenfranchisement." How? How is this argument even quasi-valid? It's riddled with holes. ID cards are freely issued. No one is charged for an identification card and on top of that...they are easy to obtain.

Further, Everyone that is born in this country is born with a Social Security number. In my state (Nebraska) all one needs to obtain a valid, state-issued Identification card is proof that they live in this state (address at a shelter will suffice) and a social security number. How is this a challenge? How does this process "disenfranchise?" Is it honestly that burdensome to take a day from your "busy" schedule of loitering and asking for money to swing by the DMV? I live in a small city and we've got DMV's everywhere. They aren't hard to find.

Why is proving that you are who you say you are and that you live in the state you wish to vote in grounds for accusations of "disenfranchisement?"
It's amazing that these same people can sign up for Obamacare yet can't get a simple voter ID. So take your pick.

A. Political Advantage
B. Democrats claim it is too difficult to do as every other American can do yet want equality
C. Bringing the dead to life to scam the American people
D. Democrats can't win without cheating.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You are really, really reaching here. Give it up already. You're embarrassing yourself.

I show my drivers license. In order to get a DL, I had to show my birth certificate and SS card. The DL in my state has secure features that make it impossible to forge.
There is no such thing as "impossible to forge." If you believe that, then you are a perfect victim for a forgery scam. Also, I am still waiting for actual evidence where in person voter fraud happened that a photo ID would have prevented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies