Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That is exactly what he said with some facts added. There were precisely 10 cases of in person voter fraud between 2000 and 2012.

Who Can Vote? - A News21 2012 National Project

Thus you are disinfranchising, assuming he researched his numbers instead of making them up which I find doubtful, <.01% of people to stop a rate of <.000001% voter fraud.

This is not a logical to any reasonable person with math skills.
Except for when their are more votes then eligible voters by a few hundred to thousands. But we don't count those (haha.. pun)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No, I state that the 0.01% of the population has to take an hour to ensure they can vote.

You state you are all for heavy-handed gun control, but aren't you being hypocritical in this? Why should I be required to prove I can own a gun every time I buy one, I have one already that is all that should be required to do according to you. I also should not need to prove who I am, or that I am legally allowed to own a firearm based on your fierce offense to requiring an ID.

Jesus, having to jump through hoops to get my NY pistol permit would probably force you to get all steamed up. It's only a few days required to take off work, hours of extra travel, hundreds of dollars, etc.
Again, you cannot use evidence for anything you say. I also don't live in New York so its not my business what their gun control laws are.

I am going to peace from this thread since you all don't know how to use verifiable evidence to back up your statements.

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
This is not a logical to any reasonable person with math skills.
Again you fail. Logic first demands that what you call "fact" is indeed fact. If not then the math skills are irrelevant.

You have not demonstrated that News21 is indeed factual or even did what they said they did. Your conclusion therefore fails. It's nothing more than opinion based on a news article. You are entitled to your opinion, but that isn't backed up by science, math or logic and it's certainly not proof of fact.

As for the original point. He did not state it. That is fact.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Of course the real reason...it makes it much harder to vote more than once, under different names and if you're not eligible to vote.

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe the question should be "why can't some democrats figure out how to get a free ID card, while republicans can?" Especially since democrats are more likely to live in dense urban areas with better public transportation and other services while relublicans are more likely to live in less serviced areas.
From what I've been told, many liberals don't have the mental ability to do something so complex (to them) as get an ID.

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Why is proving that you are who you say you are and that you live in the state you wish to vote in grounds for accusations of "disenfranchisement?"
Democrats assume that part of their base isn't capable of acquiring an ID, so they won't show up at the polls. Nevermind that you also need an ID for many other much more vital aspects of life, like opening a bank account, getting a job, renting or buying a house, buying a plane ticket, buying a car or getting married. Lets repeal the ID requirement for all of those activities, as having somewhere to live or getting a job is far more important to one's well-being than being able to vote.

And my favorite, buying a gun. Voting is a right that Democrats don't think you need an ID for, but owning a gun is a right Democrats not only demand you have an ID for, but you've also must submit to a background check and a waiting period. And that's not enough for most Democrats.

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Again, you cannot use evidence for anything you say. I also don't live in New York so its not my business what their gun control laws are.

I am going to peace from this thread since you all don't know how to use evidence to back up your statements.
POST #49 in this thread covers your previous postings and your hypocrisy.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So you are both ethically and morally okay with a system that is setup to "deter" a specific group from voting. Your reasoning is that it is okay because you, as someone not in the group, think the tactics that are being used aren't that hard to avoid.

I have no say over whether a system of verifying one's identity would or wouldn't deter. Maybe it would...but it shouldn't. A deterrance of this nature is self-imposed and a byproduct of laziness. So yes...I'm morally and ethically OK with requesting that people do the equivalent to demonstrating a minimal degree of competence by simply PROVING THAT THEY ARE WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE AND THAT THEY LIVE WHERE THEY SAY THEY LIVE. Are mandatory waiting periods on owning fire arms meant to serve as a deterrant to my constitutional right to bear arms? Are you morally and ethically ok with this?

You think its perfectly okay to judge people. . .to judge others and their lives. how very Christian of you.

Yes, it is ok to judge people. I'm sure that people judge me. I'm judging you as we speak. It happens everywhere, all the time. It's human nature. And regardless...a failure to follow the most basic of rules to simply verify identification isn't a difficult request. It's one that we have to do to drive, to obtain government benefits, to do basically everything....yet we choose to let it slide on one of the pillars of our republic.....all under this guise of "protection."

Look - into my calculation of what is right and wrong, I don't give a damn why the targeted people can't/won't/don't have time to vote. I see no reason why this is important.

I don't care if they can or won't vote. I care that they are who they say they are. We request identification for everything....why should voting be different? To remain consistent...should people be able to purchase firearms without an identification? I'll bet your answer to that question is no...isn't it.

What is important is that Voting laws and regulations meant to stop a group of people from voting is unethical and should be illegal.

A voting law specifically targeting a certain demographic should be illegal. Fortunately requesting that we all have a valid ID doesn't target any specific demographic. Well...unless of course lazy is a protected demographic.

and don't talk about Fraud. . .Absentee voting is 2x the risk, and Republicans love it.

As long as you've verified your identification, I have no problem with absentee voting. I have a problem with potential fraud and a categorical refusal to prove who you are. The very fact that people choose to find identifying themselves as harrasment...to me says the battle is worth fighting...fraud aside.
see above

Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Obama's got nothing to do with that. You can thank the federal reserve for printing $60B/month out of thin air then using it to buy securities to prop up the banks & wall street. aka QE. They have to put that money somewhere. In regards to your stock portfolio, you better have a plan better than "Hope & Change" because remember it's a zero sum game. LOL.
You know what's really funny it's that you actually believe you are a member of the team. Whether it's team R or team D it's their league and we're not in that league.

There are two party's in this country, the Politically connected wealthy and the rest of us.

You can vote for team R or you can vote for team D. And the results of the elections have as much to do about our well being as the results of the winning Super bowl team.

You can pretend one team is looking out for your interest but all their looking for is your vote.

You can try to tell yourself team R is better than team D but you're only kidding yourself. It's the same team.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You know what's really funny it's that you actually believe you are a member of the team. Whether it's team R or team D it's their league and we're not in that league.

There are two party's in this country, the Politically connected wealthy and the rest of us.

You can vote for team R or you can vote for team D. And the results of the elections have as much to do about our well being as the results of the winning Super bowl team.

You can pretend one team is looking out for your interest but all their looking for is your vote.

You can try to tell yourself team R is better than team D but you're only kidding yourself. It's the same team.

that's why i dont vote.

i continue to be amazed at the stupidity of the whole R vs D team thing.

none of these people on either side care about the average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies