Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM

549 posts, read 457,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The purpose of voter ID is to disinfranchise women, students and minorities. Its pretty obvious.
Let's say I'm an eligible to vote member of one of the above groups. How would the law disenfranchise me? Please, explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:22 AM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah, so it's some sort of competence test for voting. How nice is that? That's never been abused before.
Either your reading comprehension is comparable to that of my Pomeranian...or you just don't read at all.

I said...and I quote..."There is no excuse for INCOMPETENCE." Referring to a failure to get a state issued ID being a question of incompetence not disenfranchisement. Getting an ID is a task that is by all counts...so easy a mentally handicapped person could do it.

Now let's pull it all together. I said there is no excuse for being too incompetent...i.e., too incompetent to plan to have everything ready to vote. Too incompetent to walk to the DMV and get an ID. Are you suggesting that minorities and others are too dumb, lazy, or whatever else to do this? I have confidence in their abilities to perform this most basic task. Do you not?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
when i see conservative white males on here obsessed with on a daily basis of who blacks vote for, then see them push voter id, im smart enough to make the correlation that conservative white males don't want black people to vote

Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I always need to show my driver's license to vote, so how come being able to prove who you are is acceptable for most of us, but not all of us?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Simple: We want long waits, lots of money, and required ID checks for things they don't like.

We want freedom to do whatever we want, whenever we want, when they agree with it.

See also: NYS opposition to Voter ID, but hey 18 month waits, $100/yr costs, and requiring lots of extra time and effort to get a permit to own a gun (along with extreme limitations on ownership) is A-OK!!!!

Now I dare someone to point out a difference between "constitutional rights" and saying that the gun restrictions aren't there to dissuade people from owning firearms but a $10 fee and an hour wait is.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Vote early, vote often. It's the liberal way.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
when i see conservative white males on here obsessed with on a daily basis of who blacks vote for, then see them push voter id, im smart enough to make the correlation that conservative white males don't want black people to vote
I love this...you guys prove to me that Democrats are the real racists. I'm not sure if you're black or not but all that you are saying to me is that you don't care about minorities or their issues...you care about their votes.

Why do you immediately default to Voter ID laws and black people? Do you feel that black people are too stupid to get an ID? Black people, Hispanic people, White people, Asian people are all equally entitled to state issued Identification cards in this country, yet you immediately default to Black people? Why is that?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Let's say I'm an eligible to vote member of one of the above groups. How would the law disenfranchise me? Please, explain.
If you are a woman and you get married, and change your name (men generally don't do this when they are married), but don't completely follow through with voter registration name change some states ID laws will disinfranchise you due to non-matching ID/VR. Result legal voter disinfranchised.

If you are a student you have a legal right to register to vote at your college address, however, due to the nature of being a student this address changes frequently so IDs are not often up to date. Result legal voter disinfranchised.

If you are a black and were born in the south prior to desegregation often records are poor and hospitals were segregated and thus closed to blacks as a result there are a fair amount of minorities who do not have proof of birth. Result legal voter disinfranchised.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
If you are a black and were born in the south prior to desegregation often records are poor and hospitals were segregated and thus closed to blacks as a result there are a fair amount of minorities who do not have proof of birth. Result legal voter disinfranchised.
Yet they seem to have no trouble proving it to get government assistance. I'm thinking this thing, about Black disenfranchisement, is mostly nonsense.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
If you are a woman and you get married, and change your name (men generally don't do this when they are married), but don't completely follow through with voter registration name change some states ID laws will disinfranchise you due to non-matching ID/VR. Result legal voter disinfranchised.

If you are a student you have a legal right to register to vote at your college address, however, due to the nature of being a student this address changes frequently so IDs are not often up to date. Legal voter disinfranchised. Result legal voter disinfranchised.

So one person who didn't fix their ID having a problem.

One person too lazy to fill out an absent voter form if needed, or lazy to change (lets face it, you aren't changing schools that often. One average I'd say you change ZERO times, but lets say you move once for the sake of argument).

And one example that doesn't happen anymore.

PHEW! Those damned surprise elections disenfranchising a voter in extreme circumstances!

What about the voter who gets stranded on a deserted island? He didn't get to vote either!

Whats hilarious is that most of these "evil minority hating voter-ID laws" are so bad that if you file a tax return or get a government benefit and are legally allowed to vote, there is a 99.999999% you can if you hold up your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies