Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So one is a moron for supporting raising the minimum wage because you don't make enough? That doesn't make much sense,
No, I'm not against raising the minimum wage. I'm against raising it by some 50% in one shot. My father in law owns a couple of pizza restaurants. If he had to increase his employer overhead by 50%, he would either A) raise prices on his food hoping people would still come and eat there. Or B) cut/slash hours or workers to keep costs down.

Small businesses will certainly feel the brunt of this, and that's why the Chamber of Commerce is against it.

Seattle for example:

Quote:
Chamber of Commerce
The Seattle Chamber of Commerce conducted a poll in February 2014 among the 2,000 businesses that are chamber members. The survey asked employers about their likely response to a $15 per hour minimum wage. Out of the 283 employers who were voluntarily surveyed, 60 percent stated they would reduce or eliminate new jobs, raise the standards of entry-level hiring, reduce or eliminate benefits from many positions or make other changes in compensation and hiring policy. Over 140 employers said they would be pushed to raise prices if a $15 per hour minimum wage was enacted.[18]

The full results of the survey showed the following relevant statistics concerning a minimum wage hike to $15 per hour from the perspective of employers:[19]

A connection to lack of higher education: 64% of employees earning less than $15/hour have, at most, some high school or a high school diploma
Benefits are a critical component of compensation: on average, benefits make up 23% of total compensation
74 percent of companies offer medical benefits as part of total compensation for employees who earn less than $15/hour
43 percent of employers who would make a change following an increase to $15/hour would reduce or eliminate employee benefits
Small businesses will be greatly impacted: 37 percent of employers offering less than $15/hour in total compensation have 50 or fewer employees
Most companies will make more than one change in response to the increase: 60% of companies will consider multiple changes (reduce/eliminate new positions, increase standards for entry level positions, reduce/eliminate benefits)
Prices will go up: 50 percent of companies will increase prices for goods and services to offset a rise in the minimum wage
[9]
http://ballotpedia.org/City_of_Seattle_$15_Per_Hour_Minimum_Wage_Initiati ve_%28November_2014%29#Chamber_of_Commerce

Quote:
maybe the real issue is you aren't making enough for your liking even though you have two Master's Degrees.

I make enough money.... Nearly six figures for 184 days of work is ok for the time being It's just during the summer that my district pays us **** for non contractual work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
No, I'm not against raising the minimum wage. I'm against raising it by some 50% in one shot. My father in law owns a couple of pizza restaurants. If he had to increase his employer overhead by 50%, he would either A) raise prices on his food hoping people would still come and eat there. Or B) cut/slash hours or workers to keep costs down.

I make enough money.... Nearly six figures for 184 days of work is ok for the time being It's just during the summer that my district pays us **** for non contractual work.
Well we all know the Federal Government will not be raising the minimum wage to $15/hr, and we all know the minimum wage will go up gradually. There are some states that could raise their minimum wage to $15/hr, that debate is currently happening no in the Oregon government. Even if it does happen here, it will happen gradually.

So in the case of your father in law, he will see his minimum wage employees' pay go up gradually year by year. This might have a minor effect on his product, but doubtful enough of an effect to make much difference. I ordered a pizza last week that cost me $20, it was a good pizza. The amount of pizza this place produces might require them to raise their pizza by a dollar or two, not an increase that would cause anyone to stop buying pizza from them.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Well we all know the Federal Government will not be raising the minimum wage to $15/hr, and we all know the minimum wage will go up gradually. There are some states that could raise their minimum wage to $15/hr, that debate is currently happening no in the Oregon government. Even if it does happen here, it will happen gradually.

So in the case of your father in law, he will see his minimum wage employees' pay go up gradually year by year. This might have a minor effect on his product, but doubtful enough of an effect to make much difference. I ordered a pizza last week that cost me $20, it was a good pizza. The amount of pizza this place produces might require them to raise their pizza by a dollar or two, not an increase that would cause anyone to stop buying pizza from them.
My point. A gradual increase close to the rate of inflation or just above it, is rationale (3-4% annually). A 50%+ increase in one shot or even phased in over a couple years is totally ridiculous.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
My point. A gradual increase close to the rate of inflation or just above it, is rationale (3-4% annually). A 50%+ increase in one shot or even phased in over a couple years is totally ridiculous.
Last minimum wage was in 2009. Lets say we do 4% annually as you mention from that date, and phase it in over 5 years....what should it be?

2010 4%
2011 8.16%
2012 12.48%
2013 16.98%
2014 21.66%
2015 26.5%
2016 31.5%
2017 36.8%
2018 42.3%
2019 48.02%
2020 53.94%

Oh...54%.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Last minimum wage was in 2009. Lets say we do 4% annually as you mention from that date, and phase it in over 5 years....what should it be?

2010 4%
2011 8.16%
2012 12.48%
2013 16.98%
2014 21.66%
2015 26.5%
2016 31.5%
2017 36.8%
2018 42.3%
2019 48.02%
2020 53.94%

Oh...54%.
And what's your point?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well that is something you wouldn't have to worry about, the minimum wage would never be raised by 50% in one shot or over a couple of years. In Seattle, they will have gradual raises in the minimum wage to get it up to $15hr for companies over 500 employees by 2017, and companies under 500 people by 2021. The current minimum wage in Washington is $9.47.

http://murray.seattle.gov/minimumwag....oWbFrhQl.dpbs

Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
And what's your point?
Let me qoute you:
Quote:
A 50%+ increase in one shot or even phased in over a couple years is totally ridiculous.
Given a 5 year phase in, I used YOUR statement that 4% was reasonable, and demonstrated that the end result was....drum roll....54%.

LET me help you. Go read your statement, then read what I said.

Recognize that what you state is "totally ridiculous" is EXACTLY what you suggested was reasonable.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Well that is something you wouldn't have to worry about, the minimum wage would never be raised by 50% in one shot or over a couple of years. In Seattle, they will have gradual raises in the minimum wage to get it up to $15hr for companies over 500 employees by 2017, and companies under 500 people by 2021. The current minimum wage in Washington is $9.47.

$15 Minimum Wage
So what do you think a company of 501 employees will do if they see a 50% increase over two years? No economic consequences whatsoever right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Let me qoute you:

Given a 5 year phase in, I used YOUR statement that 4% was reasonable, and demonstrated that the end result was....drum roll....54%.

LET me help you. Go read your statement, then read what I said.

Recognize that what you state is "totally ridiculous" is EXACTLY what you suggested was reasonable.
^^

You demonstrated nothing of the sort. You demonstrated a 15 dollar an hour phased in over 10 years. You chose 2009 as your starting point, but we are in 2015 now. From this point on, a minimum wage increase can be phased using CPI, or thereabouts. In 10 years from now if the minimum wage went up to 15 an hour, I would support it, and think that would be a rationale time frame to let the economy adjust. Not two years, or even five which is what many proponents what to see happen.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
So what do you think a company of 501 employees will do if they see a 50% increase over two years? No economic consequences whatsoever right?

^^

You demonstrated nothing of the sort. You demonstrated a 15 dollar an hour phase in over 10 years. You chose 2009 as your starting point, but we are in 2015. From this point on, a minimum wage increase can be phased using CPI. In 10 years from now if the minimum wage went up to 15 an hour I would think that would be rationale. Not two years, or even five.
I don't know, the company with 501 employees that is struggling to pay people minimum wage would just fire two people and get to wait longer to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr. That really isn't an issue for anyone, so no economic consequences because the cherry picked scenario wouldn't even be an issue for any business in Seattle.

If we start with 2015, for the Federal Government to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, it would probably take about 10 years to do it, so we would be looking at $15/hr federal minimum wage by 2025. Though we also haven't seen a raise in the Federal Minimum wage since 2009, yet we have see the COL and inflation increase during that time so that the purchasing power of those making minimum wage has seen the value of their earnings drop year after year.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know, the company with 501 employees that is struggling to pay people minimum wage would just fire two people and get to wait longer to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr. That really isn't an issue for anyone, so no economic consequences because the cherry picked scenario wouldn't even be an issue for any business in Seattle.

Read wht I posed above from the Seattle Chamber of Commerce. It can and probably will hurt local businesses. Even the larger ones.... I know, the Chamber is full of greedy money hungry capitalists.

Quote:
If we start with 2015, for the Federal Government to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, it would probably take about 10 years to do it, so we would be looking at $15/hr federal minimum wage by 2025. Though we also haven't seen a raise in the Federal Minimum wage since 2009, yet we have see the COL and inflation increase during that time so that the purchasing power of those making minimum wage has seen the value of their earnings drop year after year.

The US was in a recession in 2009 and only got out of it a couple of years ago. In harsh economic times, increasing any cost on business is bad business. Yes, the minimum wage can and should be raised now, but in phases.

Minimum wage work is meant to be entry level. Kids bagging groceries. I was making 3.15 an hour back in the 1980's working at a grocery store. Because I worked hard and wasn't paid well for my work, I didn't settle for it. I wanted something better. My parents who are immigrants (me too), worked low level jobs all their life because they lacked education. I didn't want to struggle through life like they had to. I went to school, first learning a trade (HVAC) which by the time I was 20, was making 12+ dollars an hour (1992), and later on, I went back to school and received a degree in secondary education. Again, I'm not against a minimum wage increase, but a 50% increase needs to be phased in over time. Economics 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies