Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Raising it can have may consequences . I just read about a cruise ship that is about to be launched with robot bartenders .
What funny here is that you think this has anything to do with minimum wage. Its all about automation, which is coming no matter what the minimum wage is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What funny here is that you think this has anything to do with minimum wage. Its all about automation, which is coming no matter what the minimum wage is.
Agh but it does. Is the cost of automation going to save the company money. Is one big expenditure with up keep going to be cheaper than live labor. Once you start making live labor more expensive you certainly could make a difference in that equation

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Agh but it does. Is the cost of automation going to save the company money. Is one big expenditure with up keep going to be cheaper than live labor. Once you start making live labor more expensive you certainly could make a difference in that equation
As technology becomes cheaper, it makes certain jobs obsolete. We could be charging $2/hr and technology could still take over those jobs. It is just a way of live as we continue to advance in technology. Thinking we could pay people less to save extremely low wage jobs is just naive.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As technology becomes cheaper, it makes certain jobs obsolete. We could be charging $2/hr and technology could still take over those jobs. It is just a way of live as we continue to advance in technology. Thinking we could pay people less to save extremely low wage jobs is just naive.
Something like 98% of all jobs ever have been replaced by automation.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
$50 an hour? That's a bit high, don't you think?
Why?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Sorry you would be a complete moron to support a law that gives a bagger at a grocery store 15 dollars an hour. I only make 25 dollars an hour to do curriculum work over the summer, and I have two Master's degrees. The point of menial labor is that you shouldn't settle for it. If you want to make more money, learn a skill/trade, or go to college.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Sorry you would be a complete moron to support a law that gives a bagger at a grocery store 15 dollars an hour. I only make 25 dollars an hour to do curriculum work over the summer, and I have two Master's degrees. The point of menial labor is that you shouldn't settle for it. If you want to make more money, learn a skill/trade, or go to college.
So one is a moron for supporting raising the minimum wage because you don't make enough? That doesn't make much sense, maybe the real issue is you aren't making enough for your liking even though you have two Master's Degrees.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
This is why min wage in general is just plain stupid. If a wage is to low to live on in general IE working fries at burger king is not going to give you a living wage period. In a free market with demand, jobs, and education would determine what the price for burger king fries pays. I believe it would be lowered but hard to say with all the illegals in the country using fake SS numbers to get jobs. These people want to be paid based on breathing and having a body show up and do a job at 20 dollars a hour which requires no REAL skill set. I figure to work fries at this time in history it probably pays about 8:50 a hour. IF I am a high school student and or live with my parents that job is FINE. If you planning on living, eating, and sheltering yourself ALONE without government assistance you will be homeless with a job.

I think low skilled workers who are taking these jobs are either can't speak english, have no education and even with time I would think they would GET OFF FRIES!! Maybe move into management.

But the point is in a free market you dont have to sit here and pretend 30 dollars a hour, 12, 20, 22, 8 or whatever is a living wage.

A living wage requires a skill.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Something like 98% of all jobs ever have been replaced by automation.
Over a VERY long time span. And that automation wasnt also capable of doing the newly created jobs.

Im not sure why this is so hard for people to comprehend. We're not talking about mechanical automation, We are replacing both physical AND mental capabilities of humans here. This is new.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Ah, let me help.

Automations capabilities vs's cost are roughly doubling every 3 years. (roughly, its not linear with moores law yet, it may increase or decrease in the future in rate).

This is changing so rapidly that in the grand scheme of things, what minimum wage is set to really doesn't matter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies