Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 AM

743 posts, read 836,111 times

Advertisements

The "war on drugs" warped everyones little minds. It'll take decades to reverse. If it ever does reverse that is, because big govt. and prisons aren't going to lose billions of dollars through imprisoning nonviolent people without a fight.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,840,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
The "war on drugs" warped everyones little minds. It'll take decades to reverse. If it ever does reverse that is, because big govt. and prisons aren't going to lose billions of dollars through imprisoning nonviolent people without a fight.

It may not take decades. More states will legalize recreational use. I think that treating marijuana comparably with alcohol is not nearly as big a leap as legalizing ssm, and look how that's been going.

Why conservative Alaska legalized marijuana. Who's next? - CSMonitor.com

States with different approaches to alcohol regulation coexist with little controversy today, and have for decades. No reason why different states can't have differing approaches to marijuana. Federal issue could be resolved administratively by removing marijuana from the schedule 1 list.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It may not take decades. More states will legalize recreational use. I think that treating marijuana comparably with alcohol is not nearly as big a leap as legalizing ssm, and look how that's been going.

Why conservative Alaska legalized marijuana. Who's next? - CSMonitor.com

States with different approaches to alcohol regulation coexist with little controversy today, and have for decades. No reason why different states can't have differing approaches to marijuana. Federal issue could be resolved administratively by removing marijuana from the schedule 1 list.
The South will not legalize it in any way for a very long time. They will fight tooth and nail to the very end. The only way it will change on a federal level is if the democratic party wins the presidency again. If the republicans win, you can bet the war on drugs will be ramped up once more. Btw, I am not a member of any party. I only state the facts.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 AM

3,748 posts, read 4,990,474 times
Cannabis is excellent medicine for people with anxiety and autism.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The antis are too frightened to try it, and that makes them envious of the rest.

Not true at all, some of us have actually seen what marijuana can do to people and their families.
It isn't all roses and sunshine for everyone and anyone says it is has no clue what they are talking about.

Humans tend to see what they want to see and have no idea how one's life is behind those doors that are closed unless they actually live with that person.

Drugs are drugs and eventually the amount of consumption will catch up with whomever is consuming those drugs.

Also in reference to another post, it is very hard for me to believe that every single person in Ashville, North Carolina pays their bills on time in full each month, goes to work every day, is not violent, does not use alcohol or drugs to excess.
If all of that were true there would be no unemployment, no homeless shelters, no one living on the street, no domestic violence shelters, hotlines or arrest, no child abuse, no need for Police Protection, laws, judges, jails, bill collectors, late payment notices, bankruptcy courts, etc etc etc.

I also do not know one person who does not use drugs who is "jealous" of someone who does use drugs.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,840,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
The South will not legalize it in any way for a very long time. They will fight tooth and nail to the very end. The only way it will change on a federal level is if the democratic party wins the presidency again. If the republicans win, you can bet the war on drugs will be ramped up once more. Btw, I am not a member of any party. I only state the facts.
I think this parade is already picking up steam, and it won't be long before some politician hurries up to the head of it and pretends to be the instigator. Because that's how popular movements work.

You are undoubtedly right that if the next president is an r that the war on marijuana will heat up. But, imo, that would be a temporary situation, and while reefer madness would undoubtedly continue to play well in some areas, a growing number of voters would be turned off by it.

You can bet that marijuana strategists are looking at alaska's experience to learn how to get a conservative population to support legalization.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think this parade is already picking up steam, and it won't be long before some politician hurries up to the head of it and pretends to be the instigator. Because that's how popular movements work.

You are undoubtedly right that if the next president is an r that the war on marijuana will heat up. But, imo, that would be a temporary situation, and while reefer madness would undoubtedly continue to play well in some areas, a growing number of voters would be turned off by it.

You can bet that marijuana strategists are looking at alaska's experience to learn how to get a conservative population to support legalization.
My governor wouldn't even assign healthcare to low income earners such as myself (a former poor college student without a financially well family). The rest of my financial life still rests on me not being hospitalized. The same governor who has cut university education each and every year while getting richer himself. This state isn't changing anytime soon. Worst govt. I have ever seen, and tops any complaints people have about our President. It is no wonder that I have had hell finding a decent paying job, even with a Bachelor's degree.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,576,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
through my life I have known quite a few...
And most hold a job or career, own a home or at least rent a place.
Go to work everyday, pay life's bills as needed
never moved on to harder drugs
are peaceful non violent
never were pulled over for driving under the influence
overall most were rather educated or smart in their own way or profession
I know many people like that who use alcohol.
But alcohol still ruins lives and families, etc, etc, etc.
I like alcohol personally (love a good scotch or beer), but I wouldn't cry one tear if it suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. It's a scourge.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:29 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know many people like that who use alcohol.
But alcohol still ruins lives and families, etc, etc, etc.
I like alcohol personally (love a good scotch or beer), but I wouldn't cry one tear if it suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. It's a scourge.
You think if alcohol disappeared one day bad people wouldn't find something else to get addicted to and ruin their lives with? People who drink heavily are usually trying to drink away there problems and if one day they couldn't drink they would find another impulse to use in excess to try to push their problems away which will in turn lead to more problems.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,836,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not true at all, some of us have actually seen what marijuana can do to people and their families.
It isn't all roses and sunshine for everyone and anyone says it is has no clue what they are talking about.
Exactly what does it do to people? I've seen what alcohol can do to people and families. But this? I haven't tried it in years but never noticed any differences myself nor to others that used it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies