Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:31 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,552,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
There may be a bit of truth to that. I know that my mom would get sick to her stomach just from the smell of it. My parents had friends who smoked weed, (not around any of the kids of course) and when someone fired up a joint, my mom would leave the room. Same with incense. I remember at my grandpa's funeral, at the mass, when they started burning incense she ran out of the church and was dry heaving. Me on the other hand, I like the smell of both incense and cannabis.
I wasn't questioning the validity of the claim. I thought exactly what you write here. Just curious, that's all.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,767,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree that alcohol is probably worse than marijuana. That is true as far as it goes, but what's missing from the comparison is that booze is much more entrenched than pot. Hence the unintended consequences of booze prohibition would be far greater. Surveys show that at least 60% of Americans drink, while only about 10% smoke pot. Less than 40% of Americans have even tried pot.

I would support legalization of all drugs, not just marijuana, if we did not have today's massive welfare state. Legalization will mean increased use, and a certain percentage of those users will end up having problems that will lead them to collect various forms of welfare. Think of the increased need for food stamps alone due to the 'munchies.'

Sorry but I don't want my taxes going up so that pot heads can get food stamps, go on SS disability, or get their emphysema treated via Obamacare. Smoke pot all you wish, but not if you're going to reach into my pocket to pay for the consequences.

Marijuana Now the Most Popular Drug in the World | TIME.com

Old 02-25-2015, 02:38 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,030,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats really not true at all, I know a lot of people who don't care for it and they are sure not envious of those that do, most people don't care one way or another. some people just don't need to get high to enjoy themselves.

True. My wife isn't big on weed. She's tried it, but said it didn't do much for her, though she does have digestive issues and during a couple of times where she had flare up I gave her a bit, and it immediately stopped it! But as far as getting a buzz, it didn't really do that for her. She doesn't care though if I do it, and her thought is if it helps me unwind, (I can be a bit high strung from time to time) then so be it. She also supports legalization and thinks prohibition is a waste of time and resources that could be better served elsewhere. She said that her drug of choice would be Demerol as she's had it when she had some procedures done when they scoped her intestines, and she says that the feeling you get is just you feel like you're falling away. But knowing the dangers of opiates, she wouldn't think of messing with them.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,910,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
How did you find out about the allergy?
Even if you are not allergic to it some people can get mildly high from second hand smoke, I have.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:56 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Even if you are not allergic to it some people can get mildly high from second hand smoke, I have.
You can get a lot more then mildly high.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,271,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I am also calling BS. I don't know that it is physically possible to smoke ten joints a day every day.
Maybe if it was schwag?

I think willie Nelson said it best: 'It Won't Kill You Unless You Let A Bale Of It Fall On You'.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,420,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Point? Marijuana is not tobacco, and the fact that something is non-toxic does not mean it's harmless. I was discussing toxicity, not long-term harm, though you'd be hard pressed to find diseases from smoking marijuana. There's a big difference between smoking 20-40 cigarettes a day for forty years and smoking an occasional joint. I would think smoking marijuana is less harmful to the lungs than living in Beijing.
The point is exactly what I said. Just because a thing does not instantly kill does not mean that it is not bad.

Obviously the type and degree of harm varies from one substance to the next. Smoking a joint or two per day might be less harmful to the lungs than a pack of cigarettes per day. But OTOH, the cigarettes are probably less harmful to the brain than pot.

Bejing is starting on the path to clean up their atmosphere. They recognize that their level of air pollution is not desirable. Perhaps it is time for pot heads to recognize that pot is harmful. Again, I am perfectly fine with legalization of all drugs. But not if I as a taxpayer am on the hook to pay for the health consequences.
Regular Marijuana Use Could Lead to Emphysema

Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM

13,634 posts, read 21,455,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
How is it???? You explained that you know people that have had problems with drinking. Well, some of us know people who have had problems with pot. Some of us have been directly affected from the actions of pot users. That's how.
the debate about being affected by other people's action or misuse.......

Some people have been affected by other people's misuse of knives, or automobiles, or guns, or prescription drugs, or gambling, or social media to bully and so on. By percentage though those who use or do something responsibly outnumber those that don't. And when those that don't you punish them accordingly, not punish everybody.

You want to use just a few examples of misuse to uphold your argument of keeping this banned and spending billions of dollars to keep it banned and punish people with jail time when the vast majority of users never affect your life.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,767,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The point is exactly what I said. Just because a thing does not instantly kill does not mean that it is not bad.

Obviously the type and degree of harm varies from one substance to the next. Smoking a joint or two per day might be less harmful to the lungs than a pack of cigarettes per day. But OTOH, the cigarettes are probably less harmful to the brain than pot.

Bejing is starting on the path to clean up their atmosphere. They recognize that their level of air pollution is not desirable. Perhaps it is time for pot heads to recognize that pot is harmful. Again, I am perfectly fine with legalization of all drugs. But not if I as a taxpayer am on the hook to pay for the health consequences.
Regular Marijuana Use Could Lead to Emphysema

probably?? just an assumption..

Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

29,976 posts, read 25,099,231 times
Is this breakthrough science or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies