Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,031,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. IMHO China WILL crash and, I think it's gonna be real soon. I say that because it's working age pop has been dropping since 2012 and, as its people get older, THEN China's gonna start having REAL problems. There ain't that many Chinese people under about 35 years old.

china population pyramid - Bing Images
Yes, because they're all here in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,177,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The thing is, the OP has failed to put forth a convincing argument that Chinese immigrants are flaunting a culture contrary to American sentiments. Oh they like to flaunt wealth? That's pretty American to me. They like education? Again, American. They like being wealthy? American capitalism at its finest. The OP just feels discomfort at seeing signs in different languages. Solution? Learn that language so you can understand those signs! Problem solved. It just seems the OP is unwilling to step outside his comfort zone, like so many 'real Americans'.

As far as the English thing, English is our de facto language. It's not our de jure language. There is no law requiring it. It's just one of those things that if you want to prosper in this country, you pick it up. English is the global language of business. Chinese immigrants speaking Chinese here in the states, Latinos speaking Spanish here in the states, etc, there's nothing wrong with that. Most immigrants end up bilingual, anyway. English is not under assault. If anything, if 'real Americans' learned a second language, they might actually improve their marketability. Why not learn Cantonese and make big money in Hong Kong? Play their game instead of whining on a message board.

Mandating that people only speak English in this country isn't demanding respect. It's an irrational reactionary emotion to feeling threatened. America's diversity, to include language, is what separates us from Germany, France, etc. Being a 'good guest', therefore, cannot be tied to language. We have no official language! Just a real popular one! So judge these Chinese immigrants on their behavior, not on something as trivial as language. They'll pick up English long before you pick up Chinese. As of now, their English is probably better than your Chinese. And regarding their behavior, Chinese immigrants are some of the hardest working, educated people in this country. Stop demonizing them as Commies, spies and spend thrifts.
In areas where wealthy Russians have moved in, many express similar discomforts with their behavior and attitudes. Where rich Persians have moved in, you find the same. It's not simply an issue with the Chinese. It's a normal reaction for people to feel aversion or resentment when they feel outsiders are displacing them or in this case, dominating them. It doesn't even have to be foreigners from another country. Where I live, I see this same attitude from Southerners towards the waves of Northerners moving to the South. Instead of dismissal, you should recognize these reactions for what they are: normal.

And why is it that only those on one side have to do the accommodating? Shouldn't there be attempts at mutual understanding? Shouldn't the Chinese moderate their behavior if it causes them to seen in a bad light? The Chinese themselves agree that they need to tone down their behavior so why are you so quick to object to that idea?

And learning and speaking English in a country that is predominantly an English speaking country is just common sense. It's arrogant behavior to not do so. It shows a lack of concern about the very people that you have chosen to live among.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,177,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As I said in my original post, it's no longer "politically correct" to discuss IQs, but studies do show that Asians - on average - score about 10 points higher than European Caucasians.
You are off with your estimates. Japanese and South Koreans are 5 and 6 points higher in average IQ, respectively. It's unknown what the average Chinese IQ is. It's thought to be on par with Europeans, but with a population so large, their fraction of people with higher IQs than the European average is bound to be even greater than Japan and South Korea combined.

With Asian Americans, their average IQ is about 3 to 4 points higher than Americans of European descent.

Last edited by Supachai; 02-26-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sorry; when people talk about "xenophobia" for the reasons you bring up, most of us Americans DON'T listen anymore. There are def too many NON Americans here and, it's time to close the door to MOST immigration. If that make me xenophobic, I DON'T care. It is what it is.
Agreed. Our country has grown too much in the past few decades. We are already facing water shortages and lack of home affordability in some areas of the country. Why should we invite a country of over 1 billion people who abused their own country to come over here? This country has absorbed huge waves of immigration before in its history, but that time is over. We have enough people here already.
Why doesn't China develop its OWN universities if it has an interest in keeping its best and brightest over there?

Travel to ANY foreign country. You'll see that chinese have set up in places like Spain, costa Rica, Netherlands, Portugal, etc. Their HUGE population and inability to control it leads to them "invading" other countries to get ahead. I CAN honestly say that I don't have the same feelings if Japanese or any other Asian country were to buy up property because they're not dumping anchor babies everywhere in our country and their country's populations numbers under 100 million in the case of Japan and similar or less in the others.

Last edited by wehotex; 02-26-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Agreed. Our country has grown too much in the past few decades. We are already facing water shortages and lack of home affordability in some areas of the country. Why should we invite a country of over 1 billion people who abused their own country to come over here? This country has absorbed huge waves of immigration before in its history, but that time is over. We have enough people here already.
Why doesn't China develop its OWN universities if it has an interest in keeping its best and brightest over there?
Because it's easier to come to the US and steal our secrets and technology - from both our government and our businesses.

China is the new imperial power of our time. They must be confronted. Any see how they have pillaged entire swaths of Africa? I guess it's ok though since they are not the US or a Western European country

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,318,635 times
The two groups of "invaders" that stand out here in this part of the country are the Chinese and the Indians. Both are very similar, come here with a huge sense of entitlement, make no effort to integrate, do not seem to be interested in being around people of different backgrounds other than their own, speak their languages loudly in public and don't even see that as being rude.

Both cultures have no basic understanding of manners and courtesy.

The Indians here have these strange habit of going to the grocery store and taking the shopping cart home. So usually, in the areas near the university, you find shopping carts all over the place, a poor blind man was walking on one of the sidewalks and collided with a stack of shopping carts.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:53 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,225,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Free market = allowing foreign customers to buy our goods and services. This includes real estate and private universities.

Controlled market = government restricting who can purchase our goods and services.
It is often liberals who want to restrict immigration because they do not value a free market economy. They want to regulate other people.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 AM

39,333 posts, read 27,718,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Because according to Chinese, sending their kids abroad to study will make their kids more cultured. This might be a little bit politically incorrect for me to say and I don't mean to generalize, MANY (I said, many, I didn't say all) still worship American culture or western culture.

Since free market is all about supply and demand. We should take advantage of this unique phenomenon.

According to this article,

University of California plans annual tuition increases for five years

University of California plans annual tuition increases for five years | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

This is dumb. UC should LOWER the tuition for domestic students, (investment in education only makes our economy stronger) and INCREASE the tuition for foreign students and let free market works its wonders.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,225,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And you simply cannot fathom that the OP's opinions, and your own, are incredibly xenophobic and racist. You just don't get it. There's no card to be pulled here. Demanding that immigrants only speak in English is xenophobic. Our country doesn't have a national language. Linguistic diversity is to be celebrated. Do you hate accents as well? Should Bostonians have to conform to standardized newscaster speech? Continuing, calling an entire ethnic group/nationality "sneaky" is racist. Point blank. Makes me wonder how you feel about Jews, blacks, etc if you can just generalize an entire group like that. Calling Chinese immigrants "Communists" is ignorant. How do you know? And lamenting that their entitled and spoiled just makes you look petty. Would you rather them be humble and destitute? Something tells me that that wouldn't fly either... And anchor babies? What an ugly, pejorative term. But no, we're upset over the language on an internet browser? Give me a break.

If there's nothing xenophobic and racist about the sentiments in this thread, why don't you go tell 'them' exactly how you feel? Man up, as it were. Next time you see a pregnant Chinese woman, go ahead and accuse her of having anchor babies. See how that plays out. America is a nation of immigrants. Always has been, always will be. You have no more 'right' to this country than they do. If they're legal, have a visa, or in the process of getting legal, there's nothing wrong with retaining their culture. How boring this country would be if everybody was the same. American culture IS immigrant culture.
Americans don't have a natural born right to the state universities. Nor are these universities even majority tax payer funded. Any foreign student has the same privilege as an American student. You make these Vaud points but liberals in general have blocked many proposals to increase immigration. Leaders from Silicon Valley want more h1b visas and yet there is a coalition of democrats and incompetent workers who want to block immigration so they they can get higher pay without having to earn it. I would go as far as to say that our visas are too limiting. A free market demands free migration of people. Do you see free migration into this country? We have too many rules that block business growth and tech innovation.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Higher education is based on merit. A university should not accept people based on nationality. If Asians worth are that means your students should work hard too.
If they are partially being financed by state taxpayers, their goal should be to educate Americans, not foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies