Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:54 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,710,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Immigrants have historically forged close- knit communities to preserve language and culture. They opened shops, markets, banks, social clubs and radio stations.

There has been historical backlash from native born who feared loosing their cities to inferior and undesirable newcomers.

Back in the day, Ford Motor forced immigrant employees to attend Americanization classes where they were taught English and conservative ideology to force immigrants to be American.

The Ford Socialization Committee routinely inspected the homes of their employees and evidence of alcohol, tobacco, cultural and religious differences and food resulted in citations and possible dismissal.

Most employers did not take it to this extent and ethnic communities persisted throughout the U.S.

People have been securing their future by having " anchor babies" , all along. Doing so enabled immigrants to bring their extended families over and gain citizenship.
Tobacco and Food also? Cigarette Smoking was frowned upon in those days? Say a Polish American food is very different then an Italian American Family. What was acceptable American Food then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,909,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hmm, snowflake is always been a derogatory slur word for whites. Sorry, I'm not sold on your attempt to back track now. I am not one who said they were taking up all the spots at college. You must have me confused with someone else. What I said is that Americans should have first dibs at our colleges anything left over foreigners can have. No it is not clear that they were superior candidates to an American kid either. Money talks you know. I never said anything about the Chinese invading America either.
...no it hasn't, that must be pretty recent as I have never heard of it, then again, I don't live in a ghetto so why would I have heard it. It must be your paranoid victim-centric imagination that jumps to that conclusion as I don't think anyone here knows or cares about your race. Unique and special snowflakes are what modern American parents and teachers try to convince their children of to bolster their self esteem, when in fact they are pretty unremarkable. It goes right along with the 12th place trophies.

I wasn't confusing you, I was referring to when you said Chinese kids should not take any spots that should go to American kids, that suggests there is a problem with American kids not getting spots that Chinese kids are holding, combined with the thread topic of an 'invasion'.

I have no patience for whiners and self-described victims, who forever carry the "its not fair" torch. Especially paranoid ones who think everyone is out to persecute them on account of their race ( whiteness in this case ) The fact that you identify as a conservative is offensive to me, I would like to think the left had already taken you folks off our hands.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
And they wont be able to. You'll notice a decrease in thread activity after our points have been made. They wont admit its xenophobia and racism but it is.
Well, it might just possibly be that they cannot penetrate the idiocy of the liberal mind, so then give up.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,010,031 times
So far, the vast majority of people crying and complaining are specifically right-wing old white guys or rural young, economically disadvantaged white males. Historically, these two groups have had the most to fear from any kind of newcomers coming into the US. The first group yearns for the "good old days", while the second have an entitlement attitude and thinks anyone (who isn't of northern European stock, of course) who gets ahead of them are cheating their way in, or affirmative action.

Thinly veiled excuses abound, but the smart among us know that the basis of these negative feelings are garden variety xenophobia and racism, whether intentional or not. You also have the few minorities and immigrants who suffer from, what I guess can be called, Stockholm Syndrome.

I also want to address the OP, personally. OP, if you're so concerned about Chinese people here not integrating with "Real Americans", why don't you help, do them a favor, and introduce yourself to them? Or are you scared? Chances are, they're just as shy as you too. Instead of complaining about them, become friends with them. If you understood them, you know they aren't social with other people except their own, it's not in their nature to go out and meet with totally different people.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-27-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,101,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Capitalism is a political and religious agenda.
No it isn't. It is the fair and equal trade of goods. There is no other system as pure. The problem arises when a bureaucrat gets in the middle of that transaction.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,951,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
This was a brown country for 10,000 years. I think people will deal one.
Uh; kinda like MOST of Africa was a "Black" country even tho the different tribes in Africa and what's now the US did have their share of donnybrooks WAY back in the day. Too; if you're gonna throw out the "race card", brown ain't a race, especially if talking about Americans since even the "fullbloods" are about 10 to 30 percent "white" going by their DNA.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,951,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
For most of modern history many cultures have has to change because the invaders arrived in tanks and the natives did not have choice. This had been pretty much true for ancient history as well. The difference is we are making the choice to be invaded by foreigners because of their economic utility. Puritan Colonists imported Catholic Iron Workers because they could make iron products and the Puritans did not want to learn how to do. So Massachusetts Bay Colony did not stay properly Puritan.

So we are being invaded by Hispanics that will pick our crops and Chinese that will feed all of us not eating in a Taco Bell. So what? So long as they pay taxes and Social Security I could care less. I'll adopt to the new culture anyway.
Less than 5 out of 100 "Hispanic" illegal aliens work the farms. So that means MOST of their illegal kind live in the cities where even many Chicanos really DON'T want them around.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
...no it hasn't, that must be pretty recent as I have never heard of it, then again, I don't live in a ghetto so why would I have heard it. It must be your paranoid victim-centric imagination that jumps to that conclusion as I don't think anyone here knows or cares about your race. Unique and special snowflakes are what modern American parents and teachers try to convince their children of to bolster their self esteem, when in fact they are pretty unremarkable. It goes right along with the 12th place trophies.

I wasn't confusing you, I was referring to when you said Chinese kids should not take any spots that should go to American kids, that suggests there is a problem with American kids not getting spots that Chinese kids are holding, combined with the thread topic of an 'invasion'.

I have no patience for whiners and self-described victims, who forever carry the "its not fair" torch. Especially paranoid ones who think everyone is out to persecute them on account of their race ( whiteness in this case ) The fact that you identify as a conservative is offensive to me, I would like to think the left had already taken you folks off our hands.
This will be my last response to you as you are being uncivil so welcome to my ignore list. I stand by what I said. Don't like it, tough. This country belongs to American citizens of all ethnicities and non-citizens shouldn't be given preference over them for anything. It blatantly isn't fair and that doesn't constitute a "whine". Where the hell did I say anything about whites being persecuted? Funny how you say you didn't know that "snowflake" is a derogatory slur towards whites and yet you mention whites in your post. How odd. Oh, so now a difference of opinion by a conservative from a lefty like you is offensive? Sounds pretty childish that an adult can't tolerate a difference of opinion. Not surprising though as I have found lefty liberals to be totally intolerant of an opposing view. Bye.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 PM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Native Americans were here long before Europeans tried to 'civilize' them. America has always represented a new frontier for people all over the world, even long after it stopped being a frontier.
Being first during a time when there were no governments, immigration laws or borders doesn't mean squat. This continent/country was a wide open frontier ripe for the picking. The ancestors of the so-called native Americans were not native themselves to our continent/ country. They migrated here just as the Europeans did. We still are a welcoming nation to legal immigrants. So just what is the problem?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So far, the vast majority of people crying and complaining are specifically right-wing old white guys or rural young, economically disadvantaged white males. Historically, these two groups have had the most to fear from any kind of newcomers coming into the US. The first group yearns for the "good old days", while the second have an entitlement attitude and thinks anyone (who isn't of northern European stock, of course) who gets ahead of them are cheating their way in, or affirmative action.

Thinly veiled excuses abound, but the smart among us know that the basis of these negative feelings are garden variety xenophobia and racism, whether intentional or not. You also have the few minorities and immigrants who suffer from, what I guess can be called, Stockholm Syndrome.

I also want to address the OP, personally. OP, if you're so concerned about Chinese people here not integrating with "Real Americans", why don't you help, do them a favor, and introduce yourself to them? Or are you scared? Chances are, they're just as shy as you too. Instead of complaining about them, become friends with them. If you understood them, you know they aren't social with other people except their own, it's not in their nature to go out and meet with totally different people.
This. Good luck getting a direct response, though. Apparently, posts like these are too intelligent for them to draft an appropriate argument (because there isn't one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies