Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
LOL You told me I am free to marry anyone I want. On that basis, your logic indicates I am free to marry my sister or my dad. I asked you for clarification on my freedom to marry who I choose and you can't handle the fact that I swiftly defeated your simplistic statement.

BTW, I asked a question based on YOUR argument. Are you stating that YOU made a straw man argument?
? You "defeated my simplistic statement"?

You have stated that you are married. Did you choose to marry your husband? I think you likely did.
In what way have you "defeated my simplistic statement" that you were able to marry the person you chose?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM

920 posts, read 634,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Unless that practice infringes on another's rights or violates secular law. You always seem to forget that part!
Wrong, you keep adding "secular law" There is NOTHING in the 1st Amendment that exempts "secular laws" Where do you find this exception in the words: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Old 02-26-2015, 01:55 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Quote:
There is no slippery slope. There are examples of everything, but an example here or there does not undercut the constitutionally guaranteed right to the free exercise of religious beliefs.

People may have held beliefs about blacks and whites mixing or not, but that is not a religious belief, that is a belief that some people tried to support using twisted logic and their interpretation of the bible.

That has no relation to this case, wherein the religious belief in question is clearly defined and universally held by all major world religions.
There are plenty of supporting quotes in the bible for all of the examples I gave and they WERE used by churches, priests, and other fundies when arguing over these rights.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
? You "defeated my simplistic statement"?

You have stated that you are married. Did you choose to marry your husband? I think you likely did.
In what way have you "defeated my simplistic statement" that you were able to marry the person you chose?
You said, "You have the right to marry whom you choose." You did not say, "You chose to marry your husband." Because my choice was based on the definition of marriage as between a man a woman, and so I was as equally free to marry my husband as any other woman on the planet, regardless of her sexual orientation.

You're initial post was a statement of fact, not a question or with clarification. It was a simplistic statement that I questioned. Your failure to respond with a yes or no, and now your attempt to change the original statement shows how simplistic it is.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Then she needs to be consistent, not just pick and choose what acts or lifestyles she disapproves of the most, which is what I am saying. Not hard to follow, really. If she won't accept business from a homosexual couple getting married, then she shouldn't for a man or woman who is remarrying, or a couple in the act of living together, but not married, etc.

Thanks for proving my point. She isn't being consistent, unless she's also declining a divorcee when they are in the act of remarrying.

So, in your mind, the 1st Amendment protection of the free exercise of religion in conditioned on the strict requirement of a person to adhere completely to your determination of what constitutes a conflict with your understanding of what her religious beliefs should be?

What is your basis for claiming that she has not been consistent in her religious objections to providing services where to do so would violate her constitutionally protected right?

Have you got examples of where she engaged in services in opposition with her religious beliefs and was sued and threatened with destruction of her business and livelihood as a result?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I am done with feeding trolls.
Of course you are. When the going gets tough and you can't defend against logic, the next arrow in your quiver is to proclaim me a troll and run back to your echo chamber.

No hard feelings, it hurts to think.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
I think you folls need to cool it for a bit it is getting heated.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There are plenty of supporting quotes in the bible for all of the examples I gave and they WERE used by churches, priests, and other fundies when arguing over these rights.
Show me where there are clear, definable statements in the bible that make it clear that serving black people, allowing black/white people to marry or allowing black people to associate on the same footing as whites in school, public property or anything else is an abomination and a sin in the eyes of God.

No, really, I want to see those quotes...and not quotes that were then interpreted and twisted to fit someone's own meaning.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Was that a slur on the fact that I am Jewish?
Urban Dictionary: Bagel

Quote:
Again, why are you using examples that in no way relate to the facts of this case? Could it be that your argument is so baseless that you have to engage in reduction ad absurdum in an effort to make your pointless point valid?

Once you go there, you should know you have lost all credibility.
Mark is probably rolling in the floor laughing to hard to respond so I would just like to point out, while he catches his breath, that he is an attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well on one hand there is sound business principles to follow as in attend to all clients for profit.

Or

Conscientous principles to follow which would inhibit someone from enabling or assisting.

I hope we all have some principles in life and have to consider how we would react if in a situation as above in having to choose one or the other.

It is a conundrum.
The best approach would be not to start a business if you cannot abide by the laws of your state and country in running that business. That avoids the conundrum.

Quote:
Because unmarried people rarely need flower arrangements for a wedding ceremony???
I would hope that only unmarried people need flower arrangements for a wedding. Otherwise, they might run afoul of bigamy laws.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
There are laws higher than the Law of the State hence why the gov't has a classification termed conscientious objector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies