Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
"Spiritual" beliefs DOES influence personal or any associations. And, what you call public service IS a private enterprise.

Public Service = Government service, where you have not right to personal associations choices because THE SERVICE IS TAX PAID FOR BY EVERYONE. which you obviously don't understand,

You seem to think that YOU are entitled to a persons PRIVATE BUSINESS AND HER LABOR. You are not. They have a right IF they want to give their service to whomever, amongst the public

YOU are not entitled to anything someone has and does not want to give to you or associate with you.

In Christianity YOU ARE NOT TO ASSOCIATE WITH CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO ARE CONSIDERED SINNERS.
And that is what this person is basing their decision on WHICH YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND, because you are a selfish BULLY trying to bully your way with people.

Bullies usually end up one way when they pick on the wrong persons. THAT IS WHY SODOMITES use courts. They are coward bullies who normally would be told to take a hike or get their teeth rearranged.
Keep using the courts to bully people via unjust laws. It never ends well for bullies. I got a funny feeling you as a bully had your face rearranged a couple of times.
If a christian cannot do business without their religion getting in the way, then they should not be in business at all. It does not take their religion or bible to run their business and that belief does not trump law.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
No one can use their religion to discriminate, period, whether it is against gays, blacks, Irish, Jews, women, men etc. Having a religious belief does not give one the right to use that belief to discriminate. Why do christians want to discriminate?
That is incorrect.
Free people are at liberty to discriminate.
GOVERNMENT cannot discriminate.
Those that government grants privileges to, cannot discriminate.
Licensed businesses, dependent upon government privilege, cannot discriminate.

The unasked question: why does a business need a license (permission)?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ok, you were right. I read your link about the sexual orientation discrimination laws from Washington and I stand corrected. However, I still believe a private company should be allowed to refuse service to anyone they see fit not because I am against gays, but because I am for freedom and against government interference. It appears as Washington has overruled the whole "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." And by doing so, they have taken away a particular right from a business owner.

That does not mean that I think it's kind of silly that the old lady wouldn't sell flowers to the dude because he was gay and getting married. I think that's just stupid, but Baptists and their hypocrisy doesn't change my opinion on preserving rights for everyone. There is nothing in the Constitution saying you can't by a hypocrite. At least not yet I suppose.

In any event, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm both for the right of the gay guy getting married, as well as for the old lady not selling him the flowers based on her religious views. It has to work both ways or you simply breed animosity.

SS
The flower shop was not a private business, it is open to the public.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Wrong, the 1st Amendment to the Constitution makes the right to freely exercise one's religion paramount to any laws that would infringe upon that right.

Slavery was abolished over 200 years ago in this country, yet now there is a select class of citizens who feel they are entitled to force people to provide services to them regardless of that person's religious beliefs. Forcing doctors to perform abortions, forcing business owners to pay for abortions, forcing bakers, florists and photographers to provide artistic services against their morals...or lose their livelihood.

Is this the Freedom or Liberty part of the American vision progressives dream about??
Wrong, her rights to practice her religion does not trump the law that forbids discrimination in business. I am asking this again. Why do Christian have this strong desire to hate using their bibles? I think it is a mental disease.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Wrong, her rights to practice her religion does not trump the law that forbids discrimination in business. I am asking this again. Why do Christian have this strong desire to hate using their bibles? I think it is a mental disease.
Exactly how is hate involved here? If someone forced you to do something against your morals, would you like it if they claimed you were operating out of hatred? The only hatred coming from Christians is hatred of sin because sin destroys.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
If a christian cannot do business without their religion getting in the way, then they should not be in business at all. It does not take their religion or bible to run their business and that belief does not trump law.
Sorry, a Christian doesn't check their faith at the door when they go off to work. It's part of their identity. By the same token, a CEO who lies and cheats in his personal life is going to carry those traits into his business.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Did anybody see that?
Person who owns business, now is sued only because gay-couple wanted to earn some?
It's not a discrimination(but i will not hide that i'm against same-sex marriages) but now, we are talking not about my "hatred"
I'm not surprised that it happened, because we all remember situation with baker who refused to bake wedding cake. but i'm surprised that court decided to pay for this couple...
Why? Maybe some barbershop owners should serve to dirty homeless people?
Maybe you caan tell me, why our judicial system encourage discrimination?
Florist Barronelle Stutzman rejects Washington's offer to settle gay discrimination case | Daily Mail Online
A Washington florist who refused to provide flowers for a gay wedding rejected an offer from the state to settle a discrimination case by paying a $2,000 fine.
Barronelle Stutzman, a 70-year-old grandmother, wouldn't provide flowers from her shop in Richland, Washington, for the 2013 wedding of Robert Ingersoll and Curt Freed.
When longtime customer Ingersoll came to Arlene's Flowers and asked for the flowers, the devout Southern Baptist told him her 'relationship with Jesus Christ' wouldn't allow her to do the wedding.

She was offered the opportunity to comply with the law. She refused, and she was sued by the state Attorney General. A Benton County Superior Court Judge found her in violation of Washington State's law prohibiting discrimination against gay and lesbian people. She was then offered a settlement, a $2,000 fine, $1 in court costs and the couple is asking for $7.91 in damages. She refused again and now the fine will likely double and she'll be on the hook for all the court costs.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh, but you do. Commerce is regulated. When you choose to offer goods and services to the public, you must obey the laws, including those prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

But I think it's great she is choosing to refuse. This is how awesome legal precedents are set.
I went into a halal butcher and asked for pork chops. They would not sell them to me. Should I sue?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I went into a halal butcher and asked for pork chops. They would not sell them to me. Should I sue?
Do you think you could go to a Chevy dealership and demand a Ford?

You can't make someone sell you something they don't sell.

If your analogy was applied to the case that is the topic of this thread, the florist would have been sued for not selling lawn mowers. But that is not the case, she was sued for not providing the goods/services her business normally provides.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:38 AM

399 posts, read 548,399 times
Can an actual attorney post on this? As far as I knew a business can refuse to serve anyone for any reason. has this changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies