Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Please provide the chapter and verses for your allegations. YOU are cherry picking without context.

Also, please provide PROOF that this florist did provide services to these particular people, so that there is a basis for your argument that she is guilty of "cherry picking." Otherwise, you are just conjecturing and stating your opinion as fact....and slandering the florist in the process.
Stoning no virgins
Deuteronomy 22:
20"But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father's house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you. 22"If a man is found lying with a married woman, then both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman; thus you shall purge the evil from Israel.…

Divorce

Luke 16:18 - Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 - And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:

Matthew 5:32 - But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:6 - Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Matthew 19:9 - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
There are more on this subject.

Only one god.

Exodus 20:3
You shall have no gods before me. (the 10 commandments)

Yes, I was raised southern baptist and attended religious schooling, so I know my bible inside and out.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
BRB going to Muslim Florist and asking for bacon wrapped flowers for my dog...... Think they will do it? Doubtful

Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
And I am sure you agree with that decision, since you think someone's religious rights end at the church door.

Again, that case is irrelevant. The person was not forced to violate his religious beliefs against his will. He was fired for having peyote in his system at work. No one forced him to violate his religious beliefs.
I do agree that your personal religious beliefs do not give you special exemption from generally applicable laws.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So again, I will ask.

Do ALL religious beliefs trump state and federal laws?
Simple yes or no question.
good question. I suspect the answer will vary

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
BRB going to Muslim Florist and asking for bacon wrapped flowers for my dog...... Think they will do it? Doubtful
Do they sell bacon wrapped flowers in their shop?

Probably not.

If a business does not OFFER a product or service they do not have to sell that item or service to anyone.
If a business chooses to offer a product or service then they must sell it to anyone that wants to purchase it.

You can't go to best buy and claim discrimination if they don't sell you a steak since best buy does not sell steaks to anyone else.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

I doubt it. Flower shops don't carry bacon in their stores. I'm sure they'll sell you flowers, though.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 AM

920 posts, read 633,138 times
Quote:
So again, I will ask.

Do ALL religious beliefs trump state and federal laws?
Simple yes or no question.
No and I never said they did. If you actually read any 1st Amendment court opinions, you would see that there is a balancing test involved when making the determination of the Constitutionality of a law.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
No and I never said they did.
But you said that the first amendment gives these people the right to violate laws because of their religious beliefs, so why not everyone else? Either religious beliefs are absolute in regards to laws per the 1st amendment, as you claim, or they aren't. Which is it? Does the first amendment only apply to those religious beliefs that you personally approve of?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

simple. go into a business where you can fully support your own bigotry. but if you pick a store open to the public, you are subject to the law of the land that says you can't discriminate.

if a person is so against serving gays (or any other person he might not like for whatever reason) then they should not open a retail business open to the public in the US.

this has nothing to do with freedom of religion it has to do with hatred and bigotry.
Again, your bigotry and hatred of religion has blinded you from the facts of this case. The florist in question had served the GAY customers for nearly a decade before this issue and continues to serve them now. She also has hired GAYS in the past and continues to hire gays today.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your flaming hatred for those who think differently than you. God forbid others should have an opinion other than the gay coalition!!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
But you said that the first amendment gives these people the right to violate laws because of their religious beliefs, so why not everyone else? Either religious beliefs are absolute in regards to laws per the 1st amendment, as you claim, or they aren't. Which is it? Does the first amendment only apply to those religious beliefs that you personally approve of?

No I didn't. Perhaps your problem is reading comprehension. I have said that the 1st Amendment protects citizens' right to freely exercise their religion by prohibiting the legislation of laws that would deny that right. In this instance, WA State has enacted a law in conflict with the Constitutionally guaranteed right of the florist to exercise her religious freedom. That is the reason this is going through the court system...to litigate the Constitutionality of the law.

Your uninformed opinion is that state law giving special privileges to a select victim class overrides the Constitutional guarantees of the 1st Amendment.

I disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies