Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times

Advertisements

Our Religious freedoms are more and more in the crosshairs of gay rights activists.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 AM

100 posts, read 81,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our Religious freedoms are more and more in the crosshairs of gay rights activists.
Oh? What religious freedoms might those be that have been taken away? I'm fairly sure it's not more than the amount of legislation and rhetoric that politicians have proposed/passed to regulate my uterus.

Citing religion as a reason, no less.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM

174 posts, read 125,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Does she refuse to do any service that includes a sin? Like weddings for divorced people? Weddings where the bride is not a virgin? Flowers for dates where someone might have sex before marriage?
Or is she a cherry picker when it comes to "sins" she will not serve?
It does not matter. She has the right to refuse to sell her services in an event she is opposed to for any reason.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM

174 posts, read 125,475 times
Our local Pizza Hut had delivery service for a while. If you called in and lived on a particular road within their delivery area they would refuse to deliver. They had that right because of the number of robberies their drivers had while delivering on that road. Most people of that road were of one particular race but that did not matter. They have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. With the exception of race, religion, etc. To refuse service due to the crime rate is allowed. Now in this case there is a state law that say's you cannot refuse due to sexual choice. But she can refuse due to her religious belief. In fact to force her to do so violates the Federal laws against discriminating on the basis of religious belief. So forcing her to serve at a service that violates her religious belief is against Federal law.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,907 times
When seeking 'normalcy' in society doesnt one need to act normal? I mean, you cant claim to be normal while making petty claims that you need 'special' treatment, can you?

Im all for gay rights, and gay marriages on a civil level. No one should feel like a second-hand citizen.

That being said, unless this elderly woman sold the only flowers in a 200 mile radius of the wedding, why not support her competition instead?

I read a George Michael interview where he spoke on the subject of religion. He doesnt feel its reasonable to expect long-standing religious doctrine to change simply because a law does. He doesnt feel its right or good for the GLBT community to try to force them too. I agree with him. You cant force people to love and accept you - regardless of why they dont. But, you can teach them that you are worth their love and acceptance regardless of their beliefs as they watch you go about the task of simply living among them.

You might change that elderly womans mind when she sees you spend several hundred dollars at her competitons store, but you will only segregate yourself more from that community by showing hostility toward her. You might even get everyone in that community moving against you, and over what? Floral arrangements??

I dont put up with much when dealing with any retailer. I dont care why I am uncomfortable around them, I will look to support a business that welcomes me with open arms any day. The only thing that should matter to either one of us is the product and my money to pay for it.

There is a Deli run by men from Pakistan near my job. They will BS with each other and even look to serve men in line behind me before ever seeing to me, simply because I am a woman, and that must be how they treat women in their homes and homeland.

Do I need the hassle of a law-suit because these men do not treat me equally? Nope, I take my money to establishments where I am not invisible to the owner, lol.

Easy, and a lot less stressful for everyone envolved. Am I going to change their minds by being agressive toward them with a gender-based law suit? LMAO! No! In fact I will probably only make progress in their having even less respect for me.

We can look at this from another perspective - gay prejudice.

One night, while club hopping in Manhattan, we came to a club where the door people (both big burly women) felt it was okay for me to go inside, but my husband was not welcome. He was literally told "shes okay, but you cant go inside."

Turns out is was a Lesbian Club - should we have gone home, contacted an attorney, and filed a discrimination suit?

A drop in a pond creates a ripple effect. And, attacking an elderly flowershop owner can do more harm than good, and reach well beyond the boundaries of that singular community.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
Our local Pizza Hut had delivery service for a while. If you called in and lived on a particular road within their delivery area they would refuse to deliver. They had that right because of the number of robberies their drivers had while delivering on that road. Most people of that road were of one particular race but that did not matter. They have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. With the exception of race, religion, etc. To refuse service due to the crime rate is allowed. Now in this case there is a state law that say's you cannot refuse due to sexual choice. But she can refuse due to her religious belief. In fact to force her to do so violates the Federal laws against discriminating on the basis of religious belief. So forcing her to serve at a service that violates her religious belief is against Federal law.
Well, some people just don't get it.

Laws that prohibit businesses from discriminating have been challenged as unconstitutional under the First Amendment and for other reasons. The Supreme Court has held over and over again that Congress and the states can pass this kind of legislation.

If you want to argue that such laws OUGHT to be unconstitutional than do so. The reality is under our current system that they have been upheld as constitutional. When you say otherwise, you lead us to question not only your point, but your simple ability to read and comprehend information.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
You can refuse anyone for any reason in your own business.
Nope! You can't.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
If a person is disruptive you can. That could be due to words, acts or even dress but denial of service due to enabling or abetting being counter to religious belief is an objection which the government has exemptions for in other areas. Again hopefully it goes high court to see the result. Should be interesting.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Just standing behind his/her believes. Every right to do that and even reject paying the judgment. Happens all the time in civil cases.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just standing behind his/her believes. Every right to do that and even reject paying the judgment. Happens all the time in civil cases.
I guess so. The entity or person with the judgment has every right to sell off the assets of the business to pay it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies