Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloe0401 View Post
If they have a problem with providing flowers for a gay wedding, you'd think the gay couple would take their money somewhere their business was valued. To force someone to do something against their will in matters like this, usually doesn't yield good results for anyone involved. People have a right to observe their beliefs and keep their values in tact -- this goes for non-gays as well and that seems to be lost on the gay population in pushing their own agendas and pressing to incorporate ideology from the bible (marriage) while ignoring the rest of the biblical context (sodomy and gay lifestyle is a sin).
Which religious belief says thou shall not sell flowers to gays?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
Can an actual attorney post on this? As far as I knew a business can refuse to serve anyone for any reason. has this changed?
You must have lived as a hermit in a cave for the past 50 years to think businesses can refuse service for any reason.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The florist sold flowers for many years to one of the gay men who got married.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The florist sold flowers for many years to one of the gay men who got married.
Except when she decided not to.

Anti discrimination laws are in effect for every sale, not just the ones the shop is ok with.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
She did nothing wrong and has no reason to admit she did and promise to violate her religion in the future just to make a living. The AG and state in this case is the Bigot. We all have rights and do not give them up to make a living.
Wrong.

You don't have a right to discriminate.

My religion says that I should call out bigots, so I'm doing that. You have been called out.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
Sure she does. Any law that prohibits the free exercise of religion is null and void under the constitution. So there is no law that applies.
Wrong.

I suppose then she should be free to exercise her religion in any way shape or form provided she invokes religion?

Quote:
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
I suppose then she should be able to murder them because of their sinful deeds? Oh wait... she can't because we have laws against that!

But wait a second! She should be "free" to exercise her religion and the law doesn't count right? Except it does!

We wouldn't want people killing other religions either in the name of religion

Quote:
Kill False Prophets
If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Course we could also pick on the quran here and my examples are obviously extreme but they make the fundamental point that religious laws do NOT trump the laws of the land (despite what you THINK the first amendment protects)

psst: There's more to it than just allowing all exercise of religion

If you want to live in a theocracy where religious law trumps secular law, then move to Syria!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
The People change things in time. We should never accept a government that forces us against our will. That violates our freedom. Yet few seem to care...or to understand just how bad things have gotten.

The only thing we are free to do anymore is to inspect the government-issued shackles on our wrists and ankles.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The People change things in time. We should never accept a government that forces us against our will. That violates our freedom. Yet few seem to care...or to understand just how bad things have gotten.

The only thing we are free to do anymore is to inspect the government-issued shackles on our wrists and ankles.
Really? I would contend we live in a freer and better society when EVERYONE is entitled to be served by every business out there. Actually, its better for the business too. They make more money, when they serve more customers.

Certain groups have been marginalized throughout American history. In fact, its not unique to our country. Prejudice and discrimination exist everywhere that I know of. However, we have fortunately become much less tolerant of discrimination against any group in the last fifty years. Those who argue that gay people are not entitled to the same civil rights that everyone else is are fighting a losing battle. They are on the wrong side of history. Eventually, there will be a federal law which prohibits any discrimination against gays as well as state law.

There are no second class Americans. We are one people who live in one nation and all of us are entitled to the benefits and protections of the law.

Last edited by markg91359; 02-27-2015 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 AM

920 posts, read 633,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
So I guess Washington has this special law where businesses can't discriminate based on sexual orientation. I see. OK. Do other states have it too? I mean if they do then Christian bakers will be forced to bake their wedding cakes, supply their flowers and do whatever else for weddings that are against their faith - or pay fines and penalties. Is this fair?

Correct. The statists in our state government passed this law, which is clearly unconstitutional. I have such deep respect for Barronelle. She has taken this attack on her business, reputation and livelihood with dignity and compassion for her customers, yet she continues to be the face of those who need the protection of the 1st Amendment to freely exercise their religious beliefs.

This case will be appealed by her counsel until all legal remedies are exhausted. This is exactly why there was such opposition to this legislation, but with a democrat in the Statehouse and a democrat majority in the State Senate, it was a foregone conclusion that it would pass. Not all states have laws like this. Arizona attempted to pass a state law that protected 1st Amendment freedoms when the activist judges forced gay marriage on that state. Unfortunately, the gay coalition cried victimhood and the backers of the legislation backed down.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM

920 posts, read 633,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The fact that you are asking that question shows your lack of intellectual honesty or else you are just really, really, really incapable of understanding HOW to think instead of parroting what you have been told to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies