Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,915,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food

2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.

If you don't pander to all to meet the world's quota of diversity you are labeled RACIST. If you don't take part and appreciate what is deemed diverse you are labeled racist. When did it become illegal to be one's own person rather than crawling into the same old mold everyone else is emerging from? I don't watch copious amounts of TV so I don't know half of what people are talking about when they go on about certain shows. Am I less of a human for not trying to shoehorn diversity into my already crowded life?

Isn't it cute how progressives want to push diversity on us by force? Their mouth piece - the MSM - is most responsible for this. They broadcast some story a least once a week about lack of diversity and usually have a scapegoat for it before broadcasting. It is usually RACIST white people.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:36 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
If things not like you make you uncomfortable then go live where you think you will be comfortable. Someone else said you're posts read racist but I disagree. Your posts read more like you don't know how to relate to people socially. It doesn't matter either way but I'm confused about what you expected from this thread that says "I want to live where everyone is just like me". There is no place like that you know, and if there was those people may not want you there. Just food for thought.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 AM

63,123 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The irony of Robert Putnam's study is that he set out to show that diversity was a good and healthy thing, but found out that, universally, it destroyed social cohesion. Yet to this day, he is still a die hard liberal and believes that diversity can work. He thinks that we just need to try harder. Facts won't change the mind of a true believer. Modern liberalism is the new secular religion.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 AM

10,837 posts, read 14,964,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food

2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
-Thomas Sowell

It's a cult.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 AM

25,877 posts, read 16,591,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What an assinine remark to make! I am a white conservative but I am no neo- Nazi. Take your hatred of white conservatives and stick it where the sun don't shine!
If all the whites moved to Idaho the non-whites would be demanding access within a couple of years so trying to escape doesn't work. Imagine what would happen to this country if all the white folks packed up and left.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,718,577 times
Diversity is fine....sometimes. When I hear people lauding the beauty and desirability of "diversity" in a community, I always wonder what types of "diversity" they find desirable. Would they like the "diversity" of enjoying some low income trailer park trash neighbors next to their McMansion ? How about the "diversity" of having a homeless shelter going in next door....right next to the clubhouse of their "tony" development ? After all, if you own a home, wouldn't the homeless or trailer park trash neighbors offer you some additional diversity in your neighborhood ?

If you're going to talk about how wonderful diversity is, perhaps you should think about the many types of diversity there are....and perhaps you'll not be quite so enamoured with the entire spectrum of "diversity" !

Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,947,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If things not like you make you uncomfortable then go live where you think you will be comfortable. Someone else said you're posts read racist but I disagree. Your posts read more like you don't know how to relate to people socially. It doesn't matter either way but I'm confused about what you expected from this thread that says "I want to live where everyone is just like me". There is no place like that you know, and if there was those people may not want you there. Just food for thought.
Hi there Ceece, I think I understand what you’re getting at here, human beings, are, at heart, social ‘animals.’ A lone & isolated human being seems to be somewhat of a contradiction in terms. One doesn’t come into this life knowing ‘all’, we learn what it is, in essence, to be human from others.

In a certain sense, someone who is expressing that they would feel more comfortable living where “everyone is just like me" is expressing a longing to belong. & you’re right, depending upon which set of criteria one is using, this would necessarily differ from person to person.

Although, this idea, alone, may not be evidence of competing frameworks, so to speak.

Any social organization, whether it’s a local, state or national community, made up by individual constituents (who comprise the community) seeks to generate some level of coherence at the level of the organization in question.

This ‘rule of thumb’ seems to be especially pertinent in areas of public policy/procedure/law, in ‘rules of the game,’ in the allocation/care of common resources, et cetera.

These are the contexts within which the activities of the individuals (comprising the organization in question) play out. The ‘shape’ of the social organization changes from time to time & from place to place.

Diversity depends on contextual concerns. I don't think there are many folks who complain of the diversity in nature, most tend to enjoy. Similarly, there are not many who would deny human beings their place in the entirety of nature's scope.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:56 AM

428 posts, read 345,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Surprise..You got your wish..America is the land made up of Immigrants..America opened their doors to any and all cultures. People came over from all over the world to be part of the "Land of Opportunity". So unless you acknowledge that America is like a Melting Pot" made up of numerous ingredients..ala cultures....You would be in denial about the Organic beginnings of your own Country.
That's really not true. Immigration has gone in large waves.

The first was the original founding of the country, and was largely English. The US was practically 100% native born in the early 1800's. The second was a big clump of Germans, Irish, and Eastern Europeans, which was followed by immigration acts in 1921 and 1924 (which nearly abolished legal immigration) as the country was feeling overwhelmed. The enormous push from Mexican and Central America is the third wave.

I can't see any respite from this last one as voting demographics (and other flavors of political power) is causing it's own sort of winning strategy for Hispanics.

Honestly, it's probably time for the traditional, Western US culture to go ahead and give up the ghost. The Romans lost the thread to their culture in the 400's and given the large scale anti-Western beliefs in the modern US the tide is obviously running against a quite old tradition.

The jury is still out on whether 'diversity' results in an incredibly strong national government and surveillance state in order to hold the center together or if the US devolves directly into a metastasized Yugoslavia. It'll take a while, so the best thing to do, especially if you have some means, is to avoid any upcoming troubles and watch the show.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 AM

428 posts, read 345,920 times
As a side note, kudos to whoever referenced the Putnam paper on diversity.

He's funny to listen to since he so much wants for his results to be different. His interviews involve an awful lot of handwaving.

It must be hard to be a scientist and have so much emotional skin in the game.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,325,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
As a side note, kudos to whoever referenced the Putnam paper on diversity.

He's funny to listen to since he so much wants for his results to be different. His interviews involve an awful lot of handwaving.

It must be hard to be a scientist and have so much emotional skin in the game.
Anyone know where this guy lives? The smart money says that his neighborhood isn't very diverse. Which is usually the case with these types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies