Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Funny how that's been brought up several times in this thread, but they won't address it, huh?

I didn't call him a thug. I don't think he's a thug.

I think he was justifiably pissed that the call was a pass instead of a run - probably cost him a hefty bonus for a Super Bowl win, because many contracts have those types of performance incentives in them.

As for the twitter crap et al where he was called a thug by multiple anonymous (dare I say "THUGS" ) idiots, yeah, I can see where that would a) upset him, and b) is an incorrect use of the word, as it doesn't apply to him.

Not sure that constitutes conclusive proof that "Thug" is the new "N" word though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Point.

Head.
that's a shame. It must be rough going through life with one of those.
[clinton]I feel your pain [/clinton]

Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM

12 posts, read 11,063 times
Maybe it has to do with the thugs and their presentation, speaking the language and music that doesn't entail and endorse murder and rape. But that's just me.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No, but a lot of black people are thugs.
Here we go again, call the KKKlan.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
Thug is the new, politically correct N-word. No two ways around it.
When I was growing up it was used for Mafiosi.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 PM

20 posts, read 21,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
And so now, we can't even use a perfectly good word to denote a violent criminal element? Please!

I will use the word "thug" when it is apropriate, and if the person happens to be black, then so be. If you don't want to be called a "thug", then don't do things that thugs do.
Just want to agree with this. To me, when i say the word 'thug', it just means that the person is dangerous, a brute who violently forces and threatens to get what they want, regardless of race.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Oh, you got the DNC talking points memo.

Yep, this is going to be the new way that liberals limit the freedom of speech to talk about the violence and injustice that people see coming out of the black community. As mobs run around burning down the stores of hard working people in Baltimore and stealing Nike shoes in the name of justice, the gentry enablers will attack the real evil- the racist who want to label these poor, misunderstood youths as thugs. The violence is all right, it is the labeling of the violent that is unacceptable.

The problem for you is that America is no longer accepting this crap. After a recent stream of high profile cases in which black people misrepresented the truth as an excuse to riot, burn and steal, we now have one more. Already we know that three of the six police arrested in Baltimore were black, the police chief is black, the mayor is black..."the man" here is a black man. So where is the racism?

Doesn't stop the looting and burning though, and yes, America is tired of the thugs.

It still is, but black criminals are thugs too, and are being called as much.

Here is another great tip for you...if you don't like blacks being called thugs, then maybe you ought to go and complain to all the black hip-hoppers and their followers who call themselves thugs and brag about living the thug life. It couldn't hurt to let them know that the image they are projecting and the lifestyle they are living is RIGHTFULLY contributing to negative perceptions.

After than, go to Baltimore and tell black youth to stop looting. That might help too.

No one is doing such. They are calling black thugs "thugs" because they are thugs.

The fabric of America began to erode the second it was decided that any attempt to hold black people accountable for legitimate crimes they commit should be decried as racism, and that white people's adverse reactions to very real black crime are worse than the actual crime.

Grow up. 150 years after slavery, 50 year after Jim Crow, the black community is watching yet another generation of immigrant come to this country and sprint past them. This is not a legacy of anything. It has nothing to do with racism. It is not because someone called black rioters "thugs." It is because of extremely poor attitudes towards education, achievement, and law coming out of the black community.

It is never going to change until we are all honest about that. And until it does change, prepare to hear black criminals referred to as thugs whether you like it or not.

Now go ahead and call me a racist and watch how I don't give a damn.
It would be easier to have a discussion without some of the sweeping judgments but alot of this gets lost.

People can't have sensible conversations about black-on-black crime because it does dissolve into racist diatribes that push the answers even more into the shadows. There are certainly long-term economic reasons for inner city crime. I have never understood why school districts with very little tax base could not get funding to help keep their schools in order. This is a HUGE problem and something that could probably cut crime at least in half if not more over time. In Detroit the situation is absolutely abysmal. No tax base and what's left is funneled off by corrupt officials. Its like Moscow up there- high schools missing teachers, no textbooks, nothing. This is a long term cause that has historically been a matter of race. But many poor whites have suffered in crappy school systems in rural areas and increasingly urban areas, and race in my mind is a useless yardstick by which to measure all these problems by. To me the trouble is clearly economic in origin, but historically those economic factors have in themselves a history of racial bias. This isn't histrionics, its a matter of history. But I don't think race plays as much a part in all this as it used to.

Thug is a term that is derived from the Thugees, an Indian gang of killers. I am sure someone has mentioned that. Personally I have heard the term used for all kinds of people and I have never personally had an auto-meme in my head of a black person when I spoke it. I think you may be overestimating the size of the stick up everyone's butt over that. In the realm of things-to-get-pissed-off-about it ranks right up there with those Q-tips that lose their cotton too quickly.

As a Southerner I have seen too much to not understand just how dark the old days were. It was something you grew up with, it was all around you in the separate cemeteries and parts of town and the stories of lynchings. In the rest of the country most people don't really get that. It was tough down there and it was real and a lot of people died. It was yesterday, in terms of human history, and it takes time to get past this. People don't understand how slow change really is in historical terms, especially when it comes to people finding a new equilibrium. People can ***** and moan all they want about other people not getting it together quick enough, but I personally think that things are far, far better racially in this country than they have EVER been. I have seen changes in my lifetime I thought I would never see. POSITIVE changes. I think the people who are really worked up over race as opposed to police brutality or Wall Street or what have you are a small minority. Things in Baltimore haven't spiraled out of control by any means, not like Rodney King. Luckily its not summer yet- it seems the summer has always been the worst time for these things.

I haven't heard too many people boil down inner city problems (which, to read- BLACK inner city problems is a given in this context) as "those poor people, we've done them wrong". But attempting to understand the process behind something is often kicked to the curb, as if even bringing up the issue as to "why" is some sort of weakness. This is bizarre to me. Its a repudiation of logical thought. If someone didn't sit and figure out the "why" to anything we wouldn't be reading this. Some people assume that a great swath of people are natural savages and its no more complex than that. THIS IS racist, like it or not. And I think alot of people fall from there into thinking that to talk about why is just a lot of liberal "Kumbaya"ing". In an effort to search for answers the person searching may be accused of making excuses for people are giving people a pass in the name of race. Sometimes perhaps you would be right, but oftentimes, as these things go, wrong.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Soon you won't be able to call a rapist a rapist. A thief won't be called a thief all because someone takes offense to it.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
Thug is the new, politically correct N-word. No two ways around it.
I prefer "hood rats"

Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I used the word thug in this post: Another police officer murdered by a mindless thug

The useless, POS criminal scumbag was white. Sometimes useless, POS, criminal scum are black, and are referred to the same way. Only the particularly ignorant would use the "race card" here. Even worse is that many liberals in particular seem to have a problem differentiation between black criminals and blacks as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies