Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well your a newbie, and hopefully not a troll or additional ID for someone else.

You say that you try to look at the GOP objectively, but then start a thread calling them names and impugning them.
Presumably all the while ignoring how unethical & hypocritical the current (D) frontrunner is.
Still I will try to give you the benefit of the doubt and take you at your word. Lets find out;

In the last 25 years, how many times have you voted (R) in a presidential election?
How many time have you voted (R) for Congress (House & Senate)?

I ask because on a cruise one day the couple we were sitting with brought up politics (last thing I wanted to discuss while on vacation). However after listening to them go on about how moderate they thought they were (even though it was obvious to me they were hard core leftists) I asked them the same question. They proceeded to say they had always voted (D) going back to the days of McGovern.
They had also never voted for an (R) for senator, nor as a Congressman.
I couldn't help but point out how their self image politically was delusional, as no one could vote that consistently for one party and still be fair and open-minded.
I pointed out how I leaned right, but had voted for (D's) over the years, especially the ones who were either moderate to conservative(dying breed), or if they were more qualified for the job. I also pointed out how I had voted for the (D) one time because the incumbent (R) was a kook.

The moral of the story is that many like to think of themselves as far minded willing to give the other party a fair shake.
However if they were to be honest with themselves, they'd likely want one of those old style booths (I think they still have in some of the northeaster states/cities) and pull one lever for everyone of their party from POTUS to dog catcher.
This without regard to whom would be a better candidate or was more qualified. Another words voting party over country.
Yet they delude themselves into thinking they are fair-minded.

`
I was thinking the same thing myself.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM

187 posts, read 270,494 times
Way to feed the troll guys, seriously.

That said, anyone who blindly votes party lines and participates in idiotic partisanship is only furthering our downfall as a country. Use your brain, think objectively, break away from the droning parties of 1%ers and corporate stooges.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Believe me Republicans do not fear Hillary or any other Dem candidate that has surfaced.
I don't know what you are drinking, but I'd like some (maybe Jim Beam).

If our election for the highest executive office on the planet were based on integrity, executive experience, and someone pragmatic enough to work with the other party controlling Congress, I would have no fears about Hillary winning.

However our electorate seems not only devoid of putting importance on those things, they seem ignorant of the issues and real problems facing this country. Instead they, with the help of the liberal media, put a premium on 1st's like the first race or gender.
Don't think for a minute if Hillary is the (D) nominee, there wont be a certain percentage of women that will vote for her, maybe even secretly, because they want to see a woman elected as president.
Never mind the fact it should be the right woman (which undoubtedly will happen sooner than they tihnk). No it must be now to break the barriers or so called "glass ceiling".
Again there is no glass ceiling as we have women in every single aspect of our leadership/government now, and it is only a matter of the right one to come along, and they will be elected president. The same was true of a black, but unfortunately many people voted for Obama and he was obviously the wrong choice based on a lack of experience and pragmatism.

So while the country has a center right leaning electorate, a collation of low information voters combined with those who will play gender politics might just elect Hillary over a more qualified and/or better (R) candidate.

`

Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Have you ever seen the big ears on Obama? He likes like a Black Alfred E Neuman from Mad Magazine.
Joe Biden looks like a guy you'd find when you do a search for sex offenders.

And you say Repubs look cartoony or stupid.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
I was raised a Democrat pretty much like every other black/Latino person. but as an adult in my 30's looking at things a bit more clearer, Ive learned its best not to give ur 100% support to any party and to not assume either one looks/ or is any more ridiuculous than the other one. With that said, I dont think the Republican candidates are any more cartoony than the Democratic ones.

Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton and Lincoln Chaffee don't exactly exhibit cool. Actually, if history serves correct since 1988, they're all too old to be president.

Last edited by jacktravern; 05-20-2015 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
I'll just leave this here...

Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM

807 posts, read 898,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
<trimmed>

And what about Jeb Bush --- the ultimate flip-floppity waffling liar? One day he says he would invade Iraq all over again, and the next day he says he wouldn't do it. Can anyone trust this dude with even the simplest questions?

<trimmed>

Hillary is laughing at how easy it will be to take the White House in 2016. Bill is already making the talk show rounds and it's looking like a victory tour, folks.
There's a difference between flip-flopping over poorly picked words and changing a position after reasonably accounting for new information. It is too bad that Jeb is close to GW and will likely be weighed down from political baggage from that era.

Hillary's victory is very uncertain. Conservative elements have done a good job of painting a doubtful picture of her for at least a good decade if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have you ever seen the big ears on Obama? He likes like a Black Alfred E Neuman from Mad Magazine.
Joe Biden looks like a guy you'd find when you do a search for sex offenders.

And you say Repubs look cartoony or stupid.
I don't think his point had anything to do with simply physical appearances. The highlights he pointed out were all positions on issues that were, to him, exaggerated positions.

If he had intended to poke fun of physical characteristics, the post would have definitely been more crass than it currently is.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
I'm a registered Democrat for over 25 years but I try to look at the GOP objectively as I can.

However, I'm really puzzled at how they keep dredging up these total buffoons to represent their party in Presidential elections! I won't even get started about Dubya, who had the speaking skills of an 8th grader who rode the short yellow bus if you get my drift. GW Bush should be in front of a firing squad for all the lies about WMD's. Sarah Palin is like the punchline of a really bad junior high joke.

Just take this guy Dr. Ben Carson. A Yale graduate and youngest black chief neurosurgeon in the history of the United States, and yet he honestly believes homosexuality is a "choice" and that evolution is fake? They should revoke his medical license for even saying such drivel. Who would see a doctor with a brain as confused and ignorant as this man's?

And what about Jeb Bush --- the ultimate flip-floppity waffling liar? One day he says he would invade Iraq all over again, and the next day he says he wouldn't do it. Can anyone trust this dude with even the simplest questions?

Chris Christie ran up over $83,000 in NJ taxpayer dollars on snacks and booze at NFL games? Swear to God, that's something you'd hear from a stand up comedian, but it's actually true! Oh my, that is sooo pathetic and sad.

Can't wait to see Ol' Bible-Thumper Rick Santorum ramp up his schtick again. This weirdo wants to immediately launch Crusades in every Middle Eastern country and strap gay men to Tomahawk missiles in order to bomb Tehran and Pyongyang back to the Stone Age. What a lovely tolerant Christian, eh?

Hillary is laughing at how easy it will be to take the White House in 2016. Bill is already making the talk show rounds and it's looking like a victory tour, folks.
I'm a registered "NO PARTY" because I vote for the person, not the party. I did vote for Romney because AFA Obama and all the promises and lies and HOPE he has done absolutely NOTHING. Unemployment is high, foreclosures are at an all time high, people who lost their homes from Sandy are still waiting for some help, he "believes" Iran and wants to do nice, ISIS is becoming stronger, thanks to his pulling our troops out too soon and his failure to do nothing in Syria, drawing a red line? HUH? He's big on global warming, even though the American way of life is going down the tubes, he has no leadership qualities. Gosh I could go on and on, and now you're telling me HIllary is going to take the WH? Hillary who only became a NY senator so she could get her foot in the door to become Secretary of State, which she accomplished nothing, other than greasing her foundation (remember she was broke when she left the WH) now she is going to get back in the WH with slick Willie? It would be another 4 years of OBAMA...NOTHING.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'll just leave this here...
A goofy picture? You're making the OP's point.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:25 PM

522 posts, read 695,635 times
Really? As a Democrat, I'm pretty hopeful about the election. If Bush ran against Hillary I honestly wouldn't be upset if he won. He seems like an actual, normal person to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies