Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I read a long story about someone who tried to get Sears to change the direction of the door opening on their new refrigerator in California somewhere, this was a long write up of all the phone calls and canceled appointments made by Sears, as well as all the manager reassurances. When they did show up they didn't have the correct parts, and the customer waited for them to arrive. When they arrived they still were not the correct parts. This went on for over three months.

I honestly don't know how much longer that store will remain open when I read stories about their customer service, it sounds to be about as bad as it can get.
Sears really p*sses me off the most because i buy service agreements for everything i buy there, and those agreements aren't cheap.

Since they send out a local contracted repairman anyway, why in the hell does he have to be dispatched from India of all places?

I swear man, this country and their cheap ass penny pinching corporations drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So I took a few personal days off this week to tie up some loose ends this week that were overdue to get done, and my blood pressure is going through the roof.

First up, Sirius Radio. I called up to renew my subscription and I couldn't understand a single thing the guy was saying. I was reduced to a bunch of "huhs...ummmm yeahs, could you repeat that, and what was that again?"

Next, Sears refrigerator repair. Same thing. Need a service tech to come out and I couldn't even understand when and what time the guy would be coming out.

Sears...an American company. I can't call for a simple repair and get someone speaking clear English.

Lastly, I went and picked up two new HD cable boxes and traded in my old ones. My service provider tells me to install them myself if I prefer, and if I have any issues, call their Tech support.

Well, as you can imagine, there were some glitches....so I called tech support.

Once again, I get a guy who speaks English with such a thick accent that our conversation was totally useless. I had to call the cable company back and request that a tech come out and complete the job. Of course, I exploded in anger over the phone at the poor lady who wasn't responsible for my situation, but damn...how much of this stuff can a man take?

(My wife made me send her a gift card and an apology...so I don't feel as bad about my behavior)

Still though...am I the only one that's had about enough of this crap? I can't be the only one.
Heh. Ask the call center where he/she is. They hate to answer that question. Odds are good you are talking to someone in the Philippines or India.

I always use the internet to set appointments for techs. Keeps life simpler.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Heh. Ask the call center where he/she is. They hate to answer that question. Odds are good you are talking to someone in the Philippines or India.

I always use the internet to set appointments for techs. Keeps life simpler.
Yeah, well i've never thought about asking that question. But undoubtedly they hate to be asked that question.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
So I took a few personal days off this week to tie up some loose ends this week that were overdue to get done, and my blood pressure is going through the roof.

First up, Sirius Radio. I called up to renew my subscription and I couldn't understand a single thing the guy was saying. I was reduced to a bunch of "huhs...ummmm yeahs, could you repeat that, and what was that again?"

Next, Sears refrigerator repair. Same thing. Need a service tech to come out and I couldn't even understand when and what time the guy would be coming out.

Sears...an American company. I can't call for a simple repair and get someone speaking clear English.

Lastly, I went and picked up two new HD cable boxes and traded in my old ones. My service provider tells me to install them myself if I prefer, and if I have any issues, call their Tech support.

Once again, I get a guy who speaks English with such a thick accent that our conversation was totally useless. I had to call the cable company back and request that a tech come out and complete the job. Of course, I exploded in anger over the phone at the poor lady who wasn't responsible for my situation, but damn...how much of this stuff can a man take?

(My wife made me send her a gift card and an apology...so I don't feel as bad about my behavior)

Still though...am I the only one that's had about enough of this crap? I can't be the only one.
You are not even close to the only one, but this is what this country has asked for. They didn't realize they were asking for it, they thought they were asking for faster and cheaper, and tax the snot out of businesses, but this is the result of asking for things like that.

As for Time Warner Cable...dear God do NOT get me started. You think your frustration levels were through the roof? I don't know if Cox cable is any good or not, but I can tell you, they are not Time Warner Cable, ranked #2 as worst customer service in the country. They have earned that title. EARNED. IT.

It took them two months, five tech visits, and I don't know how many bleeping hours on the phone before someone finally yanked their heads out of their backside and heard me when I said, "the only thing that changed was X, and now suddenly nothing works". I swear to all that.....no. Nope. No, not going to say more, I'll just be pissed off thinking about it all again.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You are not even close to the only one, but this is what this country has asked for. They didn't realize they were asking for it, they thought they were asking for faster and cheaper, and tax the snot out of businesses, but this is the result of asking for things like that.
Look, i agree with your overall assertion, but what does this have to do with taxes?

If they didn't have to pay any taxes at all, that would mean even MORE profits by using foreign call and tech support centers. And you can't convince me that Cox Cable, Sears and Sirius XM radio are being taxed to death. They may not have paid a single cent in taxes for all you know.

Don't just blame Americans for being parsimonious and impatient if you're not gonna blame corporate greed too. Come on now...

Old 05-21-2015, 12:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:

Nope.

If I call for service from a US company and get an Indian, I hang up. I Google around to find a better number to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Gotta love the American names those operators have.

Yellow dis iss Tom.

Uh yeah I doubt that.

Wow a DD Rant thread. Don't think I've ever seen one of those.
I got a call from one today calling himself "Peter Paul."

Quote:
Yeah, well i've never thought about asking that question. But undoubtedly they hate to be asked that question.
They lie. It's fun to trap them in that lie.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Look, i agree with your overall assertion, but what does this have to do with taxes?

If they didn't have to pay any taxes at all, that would mean even MORE profits by using foreign call and tech support centers. And you can't convince me that Cox Cable, Sears and Sirius XM radio are being taxed to death. They may not have paid a single cent in taxes for all you know.

Don't just blame Americans for being parsimonious and impatient if you're not gonna blame corporate greed too. Come on now...
I hate to sound crass but in some areas, finding quality tech support people is almost impossible. I used to work for a large tech support center in a rural area of Virginia. The town was only about 3,500 people and has gone through virtually all of the available applicants due to firing them, lack of competence on the employees' part, not training properly on the employers' part, poor wages, people moving on to better areas, etc.

Tech support requires a lot of technical knowledge, on the fly decision making, and good customer service skills. It's often paid very poorly.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

You should have never even put up with that in the first place. As soon as someone comes on the phone and I have to say "huh" or "ha" more than 3 times. I immediately ask for an American supervisor to assist me. Usually you'll get regular old Michael or Lamar or something and they handle whatever it is you need.

I used to be a customer service manager and my job got outsourced to both India and Canada (they didn't have to pay as much per hour or for healthcare in Canada).

But yea, I don't speak to people on the phone who don't understand English. If I get passed around to other non-clear English speakers, I'll request a manger and I'll usually send an email through their corporate website and threaten to write a horrible review of them (I do online reviews) and they usually have someone either call me back whose native language is English or they fix the problem and let me know it was fixed.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
NAFTA signed by Clinton caused all those jobs to be outsourced to India. Maybe he was taking Hillary's advice.
Hillary campaigned in Silicon Valley 'some years ago' for an increase in H1B visas while at the same time jetting about the country in Vinod Gupta's private jet.

Corporations should be welcome to import goods but should be required to sell those goods at a price that would make those goods cost the same as if it had been manufactured in the U.S. Those excise funds then paid to assist funding a single payer American health care system.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:12 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Hey, this is what you o'bots voted for. Now you're complaining??
So January 2009 is when all the call centers moved to India overnight? And you are sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies