Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,135 times

Advertisements

Yes,

I have recently purchased property in the Turks & Caicos Islands, B.W.I for just that purpose if this country continues to slide into the dust.

Hopefully, that wont be necessary on a permanent basis and we shall see what this election brings us in the form of a new administration however this rabbit now has a 2nd hole to run to.....

MOD CUT

See you in Paradise ??

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-20-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed in forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,135 times
Yes, I have in fact purchased land in the Turks & Caicos Islands for this eventual purpose if this country continues to slide into the dust..

We shall see what the new administration provides for us ion November ??

Stay positive and vote your choice....

See you in Paradise ?? MOD CUT

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes, I've been to over 30+ cities in Mexico, have spent months there, most of the areas I have had no problem...But, the thought of being considered wealtheri then 99% of the country there, would surely bring some attention.
That honestly would bother me. I couldn't live near people who had nothing and not want to do something about it and know I couldn't help everyone.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:45 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,151 times
Have a nice trip!. Would that be a one way ticket?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
That honestly would bother me. I couldn't live near people who had nothing and not want to do something about it and know I couldn't help everyone.
I don't want to stray too far off topic, but why couldn't you help while living there? And by help I don't mean giving people money, but by teaching people trades that are important in a global economy.

I hope to retire early and go to places in Central & South America and work on bringing computer networks to villages. Showing people how the Internet can be an equalizer if you have goods or services that are able to be sold from a distance.

Many of us have in depth knowledge of the culture and business practices of the US, and could make a difference if we lived elsewhere and shared our experience with others.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
I could do that, sure. I was specifically reacting to

But, the thought of being considered wealtheri then 99% of the country there, would surely bring some attention.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I could do that, sure. I was specifically reacting to

But, the thought of being considered wealtheri then 99% of the country there, would surely bring some attention.
Guys, all of Mexico is not like the dirty border towns and the little dusty villages in Western movies. There are lots of beautiful cosmopolitan areas once you get further into the country. There are plenty of people living in the cities that have more cash than you do if you are a "middle class" American. You would not attract too much notice... and there are a lot of gringo communities where the Americans live together somewhat separately in gated communities.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
I have lived a good deal abroad, mostly in Central and South America along with a year long stint in St.Thomas USVI and a short time on Ascension island. I seriously considered moving back to Costa Rica as I believe it to be the Rivera of Central America that is the one area in stark contrast to the rest of Central America. Islands are very nice but amazingly, they get smaller as time goes by so it takes a certain kind of personality to live in such places.

All told, the most notable thing about living abroad was the skeptical curiosity of people towards Americans, even in Venezuela. In contrast to here in the US we view foreigners with an almost contemptuous or wary eye, in most cases I have seen, people of other nations have treated me with an almost benevolence that is hard to explain other than a thirst for what lies beyond their borders. While they may have whispered insults under their breath, they never did so openly.

To pull a George Bush here and say, "It would be easier if I were dictator", because if I were I would give incentives to Americans to travel and work abroad in service to this country as one thing is certainly lacking of the people and that is an actual understanding of life beyond our walls.

Who knows, in the end, I may retire to the western coast of Costa Rica and grow coffee and macadamia nuts.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Guys, all of Mexico is not like the dirty border towns and the little dusty villages in Western movies. There are lots of beautiful cosmopolitan areas once you get further into the country. There are plenty of people living in the cities that have more cash than you do if you are a "middle class" American. You would not attract too much notice... and there are a lot of gringo communities where the Americans live together somewhat separately in gated communities.
Why leave home? California is FULL of gringos in gated communities...
Seriously, Bily4, TRUE STORY--I recently talked to an elderly "gringo" fellow whose son legally emigrated to Mexico, to work as a LANDSCAPER (!) Turns out the "boy" (in his 30's) does huge projects for wealthy Mexicans, and American expats, around their palatial homes (which they couldn't have afforded up here)--no, he doesn't actually 'push a lawnmower', but I thought this was a neat story...

Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
I will never move out of the United States, I won't abandoned a country after it is given me everything I have ever wanted and needed. Instead of running away from problems (moving out of the country) I intend to stay here and and try and solve the problems surrounding me to the best of my ability. In the process I will try to encourage other people to do the same, because in the end that is the only thing that will turn the country around... thats common sense there.

To the people moving out, have moved or are thinking about it... you are abandoning your country, you have given up and are moving out... mostly due to selfish reasoning, some not so selfish. I don't care how bad you think it is here or how bad you think the current administration is or how destructive big business has become... YOU HAVE GIVEN UP! You don't have the drive or energy to do anything, you would rather hit the EASY button!

On the other hand... we could really do without all of your negativity... no I didn't say criticism... negativity is criticism with no action, which is RAMPANT on this forum. By letting all of you go it will be like boiling all the impurities out of a pot of water, what remains in the pot is all the good stuff... hopefully.

For those who wish to act upon the thought of moving out... thanks for being an American, best of luck in your future endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies