Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 AM

63,014 posts, read 29,216,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
a better example is the tsa and stop and frisk.

the white conservative male will whine about tsa, being patted down and all that, but will not say anything about blacks getting stop and frisked.
Shouldn't blacks be complaining for themselves? Whites have to complain for them? How about sticking up for one's own interests? What's the alternative to being frisked? I don't want to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Default Privilege Defined here in America

In all honesty we must remain truthful when it comes to privilege in our country. Let us not keep pretending that it does not exist, because it does not help race relations. Do you see any from the report that would not be true.

20 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People From the Police

Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM

27,689 posts, read 16,178,066 times
Quote:
Because chances are, if you’re a white person in the US, you feel safer around
police than people of color do.
You're less likely to have commited a crime... Give it up already.. Get a hobby.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM

17,461 posts, read 14,697,920 times
So, your argument here - and in the thread that was locked this evening - is that due to the historical injustices that blacks suffered, they are somehow "less than" others in this country and cannot be expected to succeed at the same level?

If you, as a black person, would like to believe that you are somehow inferior to me, a white person, simply due to the color of your skin, well ... that's your choice.

It's not one that I believe in - but who am I to stop you from putting up roadblocks to your own success.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Many blacks have excelled exceptionally well though many tears, struggles, scars, and injustices. I admire the strength of black people. No tears or heartache for us, just equality and justice would be appreciated. I for one have been successful in most of my goals and pursuits in life. but I will not continue to hear about the ills of one race when the other one has their faults as well.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
In all honesty we must remain truthful when it comes to privilege in our country. Let us not keep pretending that it does not exist, because it does not help race relations. Do you see any from the report that would not be true.

20 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People From the Police
What is with all these white apologist crap? Simple fact is the majority of white people don't go running around acting like hood rats.

Can't say the same about some other races.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,447,027 times
When are we going to talk about non-white and non-male privilege?

Things like...

affirmative action (racist discrimination against whites and sexist discrimination against males)

failure to enforce laws against illegal immigration

turning entire neighborhoods into crime-ridden "no go" zones with periodic riots

subsidized housing and generational welfare

overburdened and expensive criminal justice system

failing (but still expensive to the taxpayer) public schools

using emergency rooms as a casual drop-in clinic

endless excuse-making

pandering liberal media and Democrat politicians

free speech zones and speech codes

the presumption that college males are guilty of rape until proven innocent

extending racial preferences to recent non-white immigrants who are not black

extending racial preferences to anyone with a Hispanic surname

Feel free to add to this list....

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-18-2015 at 01:25 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 18 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,801 times
Well, a majority of black people don't act like hood rats either; many are just stuck in so-called undesirable neighborhoods and have to put up with those who may cause trouble.

Also, when people carry the perception of most black people acting like hood rats, then black people as a whole suffer a reduced market value: less likely to be seen as a good fit for a job, less desirable on dating market, less desirable on roommate market.

Obviously not everyone holds these negative perceptions, so black people can indeed succeed, meet partners, and find roommates. The issue is a matter of degree. So, the notion of privilege makes sense to me, because other racial groups have the privilege of a higher market value, whether or not each individual deserves it.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM

258 posts, read 157,801 times
I have what you might consider real privilege, and I'm quite thankful for it.

I've got enough means to live practically anywhere I want, and choose to live in places that are tolerably educated and well-off (not rich), well behaved, quiet, etc. The fact that everyone in those places looks like me is a not surprising side effect.

Choosing your environment is probably the highest privilege of all. Cherish it if you've got it.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:51 AM

39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Work with what you have, everybody got some privileges when you think about it.

Having privilege does not mean that an individual is immune to life’s hardships, but it does mean having an unearned benefit or advantage one receives in society by nature of their identity.

For example, I found my best friend a job working part time at a law firm. He is a disabled veteran who is struggling financially. The law firm allows him to take his kid while serving paper to clients. I know that if he did not know me, he would have never gotten this job. I will always fight for my friends, I will always go out of my ways help him out, not because he is white, but because he is my best buddy. He is a white dude, I think his privileges come from his attitude, he is just a very pleasant, genuine person. Something about him is just so lovable. So yes, he earned it.

Just be happy with what you have.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-18-2015 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies